Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

My wife calls me yesterday and says "I am trying to rev the car and drive but it is slow to respond and not going very fast". I advise her to park up and stop the engine and re-start the MO.

Upon doing that the car worked fine.... any thoughts folks??? I thought I read something about this but cannot find it anywhere. My MO is a 2005 SL with about 3k on the clock - note we havent done the first oil change though :( as it was bought in Feb 2005 and just hit 3k.

Cheers
D

·
Registered
485 Posts
First off, take it to the dealer and have them check for computer codes. The symptoms sound kinda like a CVT control module failure, almost total loss of power after driving for a while and then a reboot clears the problem up.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Sounds exactly like the unresponsive throttle issue many people here experience after sustained period at high speed. Do a search for it for more details. To my knowledge, there is no solution for this yet other than to restart the car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Eric

Cheers for the reply. The car issue was evident immediately after starting it after about 4 hours of non-use. Hope that helps - any thoughts anyone

D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
dylanursula said:
Hey Eric

Cheers for the reply. The car issue was evident immediately after starting it after about 4 hours of non-use. Hope that helps - any thoughts anyone

D
In that case, I second the suggestion that you should have your dealership check for codes. At the very least, have them document the incident so in case something fails outside warranty, you have some recourse.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
transmission control module.

thats what i had to get replace after i faced exactly same situations. the power would just vanish when i needed it most (getting on a freeway) .... had the dealership checked and they suggested replacing transmission but the nissan techs identified it as TCM.

ask ur dealership about that,
hope that helps.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This problem has happened to me many times now, including once last week. It usually happens at the first full stop after a long drive at highway speeds. The only solution I've found is to restart the engine, which immediately rectifies the situation.

As Eric said, there has been a lot of discussion about this on this forum (and the other forum). Search for keywords "hesitation" and "acceleration".

Bad CVT control module appears to be the likely cause based on other members' experiences.

If you can, definitely take it in to a Nissan dealership while it's happening so they can diagnose it. My dealership said they could do nothing about it otherwise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all

I took it back to the Nissan dealership when the issue happened and they could not find anything wrong with it. Now again today it happened again
:( (Wife is saying I told you not to buy the Mo when we knew there were issues with it) :( Taking it back to the dealership near work (not where I bought it from) and seeing what they can do. I def want a rental car from them as its the only car we have.

D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
dylanursula said:
Hey all

I took it back to the Nissan dealership when the issue happened and they could not find anything wrong with it. Now again today it happened again
:( (Wife is saying I told you not to buy the Mo when we knew there were issues with it)

OK, let's rewind the time. When you were in the market for your murano, was there any known issue with murano loosing power such as your earlier description? ......All I can recall is alternator problems and this is nothing like the one you have currently.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gripper - can you explain your solution?

The car was struggling up a not so steep hill and would not go beyond like 40mph :(

Oh by the way - the dash says SERVICE ENGINE SOON

Thanks everyone

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
dylanursula said:
I advise her to park up and stop the engine and re-start the MO.

D
I guess, I am not the only one who think that Mo has some kind of weird version of Microsoft Windows intalled…:bonk:

·
Registered
188 Posts
dylanursula said:
Gripper - can you explain your solution?

The car was struggling up a not so steep hill and would not go beyond like 40mph :(

Oh by the way - the dash says SERVICE ENGINE SOON

Thanks everyone
It sounds like a throttle chamber has gone bad.
If there is SES light on, your dealer will be able to read the code .
My bet is on the throttle module and gascket.
Look in Here

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealership have taken my mo' in and are looking it over. They are hoping the codes from the SES indicator will help this time. Nice enough to give us a rental car from Enterprise too :) even though we dont have the extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
dylanursula said:
Hey all

The code: Step Motor FNC

Any ideas? The dealership said they need to get a Nissan Tech in.

D
I think the Step Motor is in the CVT, let me check the FSM to confirm...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yep its an internal part of the CVT. The FSM has some terrible English describing what the part does, but from the looks of it, a code for this means the mechanical part is damaged (you may need to replace the entire CVT, hope you are still under warranty).

I am pretty sure "runs a safe condition" really means "runs in failsafe mode."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
dylanursula said:
FSM? What's that?
Factory Shop Manual - its what the techs at the dealer use to fix your car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts