Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Murano SL FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought an 05 Murano with 153k miles as a first car, love the car in theory but still have some problems to work out! Had a bit of work done involving a misfire, clogged exhaust, and a shift lock solenoid failure, but the computer is still throwing P1283, and has p04020 pending. It's been cleared a few times but keeps coming back. My understanding is that P1283 is one of the front Air Fuel Ratio sensors (Sensor 1 Bank 2), and P0420 is the notorious cat converter one. The car idles a little shaky but I could believe it's normal, but when put into gear and moving at low RPMs, the car is pretty shaky. There's a slight knocking audible when the car is first started up sometimes.

Gas mileage isn't too bad, but could probably be better. Haven't run a full tank of gas yet, but the fuel economy computer reads about 15mpg after a 20 minute trip with an average of ~35mph. The distance is 21 miles, but the trip on the odometer reads 29 miles. I believe 29 is much more accurate than 21, not sure if this is a MO quirk or just an older car quirk. The engine seems to run just fine, doesn't die after starting the car up, acceleration seems pretty much up to snuff, and there's no problems with the ride other than the shake at low RPMs, and the crappy tires that need replacing + an alignment.

Some theories I have so far is that it may just be that front Air Fuel Ratio sensor, which is causing the rough idle, slightly below average gas mileage, and the catalytic converter error code. It could also be the fact that we filled it up with regular grade (87) gas, perhaps the previous owner used higher. I've seen a lot of people on here that use mid grade or premium. Could it also be the fact that the car has been turned on, idled for just a little bit, then turned off? This has happened a lot in testing and just showing the car to people. This one is a longshot but I've seen it online in my research.

I did some voltage readings at idle with an OBD2 scanner right after starting the car up, not sure if this tells anything at all:

O2S11 hovered at .290 and .295
O2S12 started at .310 peaked at .340 and dipped to .260 and back up to .290
O2S21 hovered around .610 dipped at .500 and peaked at .800
O2S22 stayed almost exactly at .250 and went up and down by .010 a few times

I've seen a few other posts on here about having P1283 and P0420 at the same time, but none of them really shed any light on it for me. Hoping to get this solved so I can give this MO a good life to 200k or even 250k? Sorry for the long post I figured I'd just share all that I've learned so far in the hopes that it helps get to the bottom of this!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I haven’t had mine long either but had a similar issue with a 18 year old Mercedes. Seems like there is a big difference in your #1 and #2 on side 2.
I don’t understand how if those numbers mean rich or too lean
my issue ended up being a crack in the exhaust between #1 and #2.
I just tried 93 octane and it definitely runs better, just can’t justify the price difference 🥸

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I did some voltage readings at idle with an OBD2 scanner right after starting the car up, not sure if this tells anything at all:

O2S11 hovered at .290 and .295
O2S12 started at .310 peaked at .340 and dipped to .260 and back up to .290
O2S21 hovered around .610 dipped at .500 and peaked at .800
O2S22 stayed almost exactly at .250 and went up and down by .010 a few times
Just to confirm your sensor abbreviations, does the "22" in O2S22 mean sensor 2/bank 2?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Those are the abbreviations the OBD2 scanner showed, that should be sensor 2 bank 2

O.K. So this DTC is an O2 sensor switching fault and Nissan actually changed the code they use for it beginning in 2006 to P2A00 and P2A03. If you search the forums for those codes you'll find more information (...there's actually a couple of recent threads in the 1st gen forum on these faults).

Is there any freeze frame data associated with the P1283? If so, post it here. Also, let the engine warm up to operating temperature and check the sensor voltages at idle again. If you can graph the signals that would be even better (you can post pics of the graphs too). What are long and short term fuel trims at idle for both banks when the engine is warmed up?

Reactions: markayash

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would definitely be using premium gas IMO. I believe the car was made with premium gas use in mind. If you dont use the right gas you can have more carbon build up than normal. I would research that too. Have you inspected your throttle body inlet? May be time for a cleaning, but if cleaned you may have to reset the tps for it to relearn.

·
Administrator
9,153 Posts
The 1st generation Muranos were (IIRC) designed to run on regular or premium. At least my 07 was, and the manual made that point. HP varied slightly depending on the grade of fuel used, but premium is not required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts