Nissan Murano Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made the same swap on my murano... This thread was very helpfull thanks to the OP. Original 2003 engine was consuming tons of oil, and was missfiring because of too slack timing chain... 94000km only...

Here is some pictures.. :)

Preparing for the job...

Front bumper removed

Front end removed..

Starting to lift the engine..

CVT side chain mounting points.

Engine side chain mounting point. There is 2 threaded hole in the timing chain back cover, perfect for lifting.

It's empty under the hood!

The replacement 2006 Engine waiting for new parts and chain guide job

Inside of the timing cover of the new 2006 motor

New tensionner and chain guide

New chain guide

CVT View with the torque converter still inside (NO Need to remove it from the tranny, you must make sure to keep it in place when removing the tranny)

CVT View

Ready to go! Started whitout any problems! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some precision to the original post :

- There is no need to lower the sub-frame. You just need to remove the square box from the side of CVT, there is only 2-3 bolts holding it on the tranny. There is no oil dropping from there (from the bolts hole)

(This picture of the OP)

- DO NOT remove the torque converter from the tranny. Keep it in place during removal and installation. Wayy more easy, and no risk of gasket failure like it happened to the OP

- Take extra care for the oil cooler coolant hose.. I busted one during engine removal but I already had new one because they were rusty.

- The AC system will need to be empty then recharge after engine installation. This is a negative point of removing the engine from top (You need to remove the AC condenser in front of the radiator..) AC system was in "open air" for 1 weeks, after a vacuum and refill it's working good with no problem.

- You will need almost 6 quarts of CVT fluid... at 25$ the bottle...

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Kameleau-

Excellent post!! :29: This most definitely ranks in the top-ten for the most informative posts on this forum.

Thanks for the great photos.

-njjoe

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think what shocks me most is the engine hoist box in the background of one of the pictures, making me think you got it just for this project. Was this your first time pulling an engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes exact I got it just for this. Cost way less than the 2000$ + extra parts the dealer wanted... Got it for about 350$ with the tax. And anyway I resold it after for a bit less that I paid but only because I didnt have enough storage place to keep it.

I always do my own repairs on my cars, but yes its was a first time for a complete engine swap. With help from a friend, the service manual and many garage tools it's possible.. with lot of time and patience lol

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
An engine stand is a very handy thing to have when doing a job like that one.

Fortunately for me, I haven't had to pull one since I lived at my parents' home, where there was a triple 2x8 beam at the peak of the garage roof, and a handy chain hoist connected to it. I don't know how many engines we pulled in there over many years, but it was at least a dozen.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
To Kameleau:

Thanks for showing the pictures. It actually looks like a lot of fun doing this job. I was really hoping the OP would finish up his saga, but we were all left hanging unfortunately. Does your MO have a new CVT? Being a 2003 hopefully it has been working for you. I had mine changed out with 109K on it and mine is an 04 SL AWD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nissan Murano 2007 engine swap. Even that the engine was locked, I try to lose the nuts to the Torque converted, by opening the bottom engine cover. I never removed the Torque Converted from the Transmission, so I did not have to change the seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everything started like this.
I would like to thanks so much to the author of these thread. It help a lot to finish this project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New engine started at ones. No leaks, no problems. Got an engine with 91k for $1100 from my local Autojunk.
It took me three full days to change the engine, and I worked alone. I used cutting tools to cut the exhaust bolts and drill new holes. Also I used Impact pneumatic tools, due the nuts and bolts were extremely tight.
Advice, save the antifreeze and trasnmission fluids and reuse them. After you have checked that everything is running well for at least a week, just replace them for new ones.
Please if you need any help, do not exitate to ask.

And the most important thing is to remove the engine slow and careful, so you do not break anything, and never never force the engine to come out. It came out easy and slow.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Great job. I see photos are uploaded in photobucket. Unfortunately links will be lost when you move the photo's or rename them in photobucket. It would be great if you could upload them to this site instead so they will permanently stay here.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
21 Participants
Teradae
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing