Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan Announces Pricing for 2005 Pathfinder
GARDENA, Calif.--Oct. 8, 2004--Nissan North America, Inc. today announced pricing for its all-new 2005 Nissan Pathfinder sport utility vehicle. The new third-generation Pathfinder is built on the F-Alpha platform utilized on the full-size Nissan Armada and offers a standard 270-horsepower 4.0-liter V6 engine, 5-speed automatic transmission and three-row seating. Its enhanced off-road performance capabilities include an available All-Mode 4-wheel drive system and advanced Hill Descent Control, Hill Start Assist and 4-wheel limited slip.

The new Pathfinder is available in four trim levels, XE, SE, SE Off-Road and LE and in 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive to appeal to a wide range of buyers.

The 2005 Pathfinder features a starting Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $24,650 for the new XE trim 2-wheel drive, which includes aluminum-alloy wheels, Vehicle Dynamic Control and AM/FM/CD audio system as standard equipment. The volume-leading Pathfinder SE adds fog lamps, an 8-way power driver's seat, a segment-exclusive(a) Easy Clean Cargo Area and more. The 2-wheel drive SE starts at an MSRP of $25,850, which is $1,150 less than last year's Pathfinder SE model and significantly less than comparably equipped competitive segment leaders.

"The new Pathfinder has been designed to offer the best balance in its segment of legitimate off-road capability and true on-road utility -- perfect for the adventures of young families," said Mark McNabb, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division. "It features equipment that our customers will greatly appreciate, such as standard 2nd and 3rd row flat-folding seats, as well as available DVD-based navigation, DVD video entertainment and Bose(R) audio systems."

The SE Off-Road model, which is new for 2005, embodies the spirit of the original Pathfinder as a rough-and-ready adventure vehicle. It includes such defining features as distinctive wheels, BFGoodrich Rugged Trail tires, Rancho(R)-branded performance shocks, unique blue seat cloth and chrome "Off-Road" badging. The 4-wheel drive Pathfinder SE Off-Road starts at an MSRP of $30,450.

The Pathfinder LE adds refinement with more traditional features, including standard leather-appointed seats, wood-toned trim, Bose audio system, sunroof and 17-inch wheels and tires. MSRP for the 2-wheel drive Pathfinder LE is $32,550.

Complete pricing and option packages are available below.

2005 NISSAN PATHFINDER

NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggested
Description List Price(1)

BASE VEHICLE

4x2 XE 4.0 Liter V6 A/T $ 24,650
4x2 SE 4.0 Liter V6 A/T $ 25,850
4x2 SE Off Road 4.0 Liter V6 A/T $ 28,450
4x2 LE 4.0 Liter V6 A/T $ 32,550

4x4 XE 4.0 Liter V6 A/T $ 26,650
4x4 SE 4.0 Liter V6 A/T $ 27,850
4x4 SE Off Road 4.0 Liter V6 A/T $ 30,450
4x4 LE 4.0 Liter V6 A/T $ 34,750

FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS XE SE SE OR LE

------------------------
Satellite Radio - XM $ 400 X X X
------------------------
Satellite Radio - Sirius $ 400 X X X
------------------------
SE Comfort Package $ 1,350 X Std
------------------------
SE Premium Package $ 1,700 X X
------------------------
Patrol Package N/C X
------------------------
Airbag Package $ 700 X X X Std
------------------------
Navigation Package (LE) $ 2,000 X
------------------------
Mobile Entertainment System
(DVD) $ 1,600 X X X
------------------------
Off Road Leather Pkg $ 1,400 X
------------------------

PORT INSTALLED ACCESSORIES XE SE SE OR LE

------------------------
Body Color Side Molding $ 130 X X X X
------------------------
Splash Guards (4 piece set) $ 130 X X X X
------------------------
In-Cabin Microfilter $ 50 X X X X
------------------------
Floor Mats - 4 piece set
(Charcoal or Beige) $ 130 X X
------------------------
Floor Mats & Carpeted Cargo Mat $ 230 X X
------------------------
Sunroof Wind Deflector $ 70 X X X
------------------------

(1) Suggested List Price: Manufacturer's recommended pre-delivery
service included.

Destination and Handling $ 560

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First Drive:
2005 Nissan Pathfinder
by Paul Williams
CanadianDriver.com

Seattle, Washington - Driving a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder over fallen trees, sharp, craggy boulders and deep, rutted trails in Washington's Olympic National Forest, you have to wonder, "How many owners who've just spent $36,000-$52,000 on one of these upscale, generously-equipped, mid-size SUVs would ever subject it to this treatment?

Nissan Canada says the owner of the new Pathfinder, "Is active and engaged in life. He wants a "purpose-built tool that sharpens and shapes his life, enabling him to "reclaim his own space, his own pursuits, his inner self."

Okay, it's a guy thing, but again I ask, how many fellas are actually going to bash their shiny, new pride-and-joy over jagged tree stumps, even if they are looking for their inner self?

Maybe a few, but as Ian Forsyth, Nissan Canada's Director of Marketing concedes, "It's about an active, rugged, outdoor image. With off-road capability, 'just in case.'"

So, do we talk about Pathfinder's off-road bone-fides, even though they're rarely, if ever, going to be used, or do we focus on the Pathfinder in the more mundane context of daily transport?

Fact is, the Pathfinder image - what owners think it says about them - is key in the decision to buy this vehicle.

According to Nissan research, the Pathfinder buyer is family-focused, but is still looking for solo adventures. Consequently, the vehicle of choice needs to be practical, capable and safe, but able to "step up" when conditions warrant.

Click image to enlarge

For 2005, the "stepping up" for this third-generation truck, has reached new levels of competence, both on and off road.

The biggest change is the new body-on-frame construction, which replaces the monocoque structure of previous Pathfinders. A stiff, box-frame, based on the Nissan Titan/Armada platform, now serves as the basis for the Pathfinder, which has grown in all dimensions (by 12.5-centimetres in length, 15-cm in wheelbase and 1.8-cm in height).

The frame makes extensive use of high-tensile steel, and its body mounting points are optimized to eliminate vibration and maximize balance. Towing capacity has increased to 6,000-pounds (from 5,000), and the added length permits including a third row seat, behind which there's room for a 40-U.S. quart (38-litre) cooler (an important piece of cargo, say respondents to Nissan surveys).

The grunt required to pull 6,000-lbs plus passengers and their beverages is supplied by a 4.0-litre version of Nissan's ubiquitous (and near-legendary) VQ 3.5 litre V-6 engine, specially tuned for truck applications, and providing 270-horsepower and 291 pound-feet of torque (the latter achieved with a longer stroke and special camshaft profile). Nissan states that fuel economy will be improved over the current model, but figures are not yet available.

The engine also receives additional block reinforcement, increased main journal diameter, continuous valve timing control and a two-stage timing chain.

A five-speed automatic transmission is now standard for Pathfinder (no manual option is available), as are 16" alloy wheels (17" available), anti-lock brakes with four-wheel discs and a range of electronic stability and traction assists that comprise the Vehicle Stability Control system.

Front suspension is all-steel, double-wishbone with stabilizer bar, as is the rear, whose low-profile design maximizes interior space.

Although a two-wheel drive model is available in the U.S., Canadians will only receive four-wheel drive (4WD) versions in XE (base), SE (popularly equipped), SE OR (performance, off road) and LE (fully equipped) trim levels.

All Pathfinders come with a four-wheel limited slip system (part of the ABS/VDC technology) to optimize the driving force of each wheel and assist starting on slopes and slippery surfaces. In the XE and SE versions, the 4WD system locks power distribution to 50:50, front and rear, and is selectable between 2WD/4Hi/4Lo. The LE gets an additional "AUTO" mode that never locks to any given ratio, as the system is continuously distributing power between front and rear axles.

Click image to enlarge
Hill Descent Control (a technology based on the ABS system) controls hill descent speed automatically and is only available as part of the SE Off Road package. This package also includes Hill Start Assist (to prevent the vehicle rolling back on a grade), special wheels and tires, Rancho branded shock absorbers, and underbody skid plates.

I've already alluded to the 2005 Pathfinder's off-road ability, but to make it clear, this vehicle will get you up, down, through and over just about any terrain you are likely to tackle. This doesn't mean it's unstoppable, invincible, or that skill is not required to drive it safely and effectively. But show it a tough backwoods trail, keep your hands on the wheel, feet on the pedals and take your time, and there won't be much beyond its ability.

Rugged as it can be off-road, the Pathfinder is thoroughly at home on the highways and bi-ways of the typical urban neighbourhood, which really is where it will spend most, if not all, of its time.

Click image to enlarge

A navigation system is available, as are such amenities as DVD video, leather interior, wood trim, heated seats and automatic climate control.

Cargo volume behind the second-row seats is up 317 litres over the 2004 model, for a total of 1,392 litres over the 2004 model, and the third row seat disappears into the floor when not needed. By comparison, the Toyota Highlander has 1,124 litres behind the second-row seat and the Honda Pilot 1,379 litres.

The second-row seat is a 40/20/40 split, but folds flat when required and is comfortable for passengers to lie on. But when seated, second-row passengers may complain on longer trips as there's no room under the front seats for their feet.

Grab handles are everywhere (in the A-pillars, B-pillars, above the rear doors) as are cup and bottle holders.

Even though this is a body-on-frame vehicle, there's no bouncing or harshness you may associate with trucks or early SUVs. On the contrary, this is a smooth, comfortable ride with nimble, responsive handling and a super-quiet interior in which to listen to your CD's on the standard six-speaker audio system (premium Bose is available on higher trim levels).

The 2005 Pathfinder has the appearance of the Nissan Armada, only smaller. With the available appointments of a luxury sedan, and genuine off-road capability, it will exceed the mundane requirements of the urban commute, and satisfy the off-road fantasies of the frustrated adventurer.

It's scheduled to go on sale in November.

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2005 Nissan Pathfinder
No Retreat: Pioneering Pathfinder stakes a new claim in the midsize SUV segment

CARRIE ROCA
Autoweek.com
Published Date: 10/4/04
2005 NISSAN PATHFINDER XE
ON SALE: Late October
BASE PRICE: $28,000 (est.)
POWETRAIN: 4.0-liter, 270-hp, 291-lb-ft V6; 2wd, five-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT: 4376 pounds 0 to 60 mph: 8.5 seconds (est.)

>> Nissan says its new Pathfinder is a more rugged, athletic SUV that has returned to its roots as a true off-road machine. So it somehow seemed fitting that our first drive of this third-generation Pathfinder would involve a backwoods challenge of sorts. Not a driving challenge, mind you, but one that had us calling upon some old survival instincts.

After a morning of driving the 2005 Pathfinder around Seattle, impressed with how strong its 4.0-liter V6 felt underfoot, we stopped for lunch at a nice wooded spot on Bainbridge Island. Jumping down from our test truck, though, our hunger took a back seat as we found ourselves surrounded. Hundreds, no, thousands of mad bees were up in arms, indignant at this smug band of trespassers.

There was no retreat, and so everybody just did the first thing that came to mind. Guest journalists and Nissan reps alike either froze, hoping to trick the bees into thinking they were already dead, or began to swat away, flail about, shout, stomp and just plain curse the little mothers, which is what we did.

Nissan says it aims the new Pathfinder at those who seek to"reclaim their own space."The bees would surely protest that the chosen picnic area was never ours to reclaim, but hostilities ceased and it wasn’t the people who backed down. If the Pathfinder is a decathlete, a modern-day Bruce Jenner in sheetmetal, as Nissan calls it (note to Nissan: Jenner won Olympic gold in 1976, before many in this target audience were born), then we were Braveheart and retreat was not an option. We finished our lunch in relative peace then hopped into a 4wd model for the off-road part of the test, thinking to ourselves, "You can bring it on now."

In a segment that now includes nearly 40 sport/utility vehicles as opposed to seven when the Pathfinder bowed in 1985, the 2005 model is the genuine off-road article its maker claims it to be. As we lurched up and down the bumpy wooded ruts following our close encounter with nature, the new off-road aids performed well. Hill Descent Control does just what its name implies. It can be activated with 4Hi or 4Lo engaged, allowing you to proceed downhill without riding the brakes, and it can be used in either forward or reverse gear. With the new Hill Start Assist feature, you can stop while going uphill, release the brake, and not roll back for two seconds. Given that all Pathfinders are automatics and most of us have two feet, this might seem an unnecessary fillip, but it does have its uses in off-road extremes.

Pathfinder rides on the new body-on-frame F-Alpha platform developed to underpin all Nissan trucks. That gives the beefed-up SUV independent double-wishbone suspension, speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and EBD. With its integrated tow hitch, it’s rated to pull 6000 pounds.

Nissan’s VQ Series engine makes 270 hp and 291 lb-ft of torque in the Pathfinder, and bests the V6s in the Toyota 4Runner (245 hp/282 lb-ft) and Ford Explorer (210 hp/254 lb-ft). Pathfinder’s only engine is stronger even than the Explorer’s V8 (239 hp/282 lb-ft) and equal in horsepower to the bigger 4Runner offering (270 hp/320 lb-ft).EPA ratings give the 4x2 Pathfinder a combined 19.21 mpg figure, 17.79 for the 4x4 model.

Along with its off-road and performance credentials, the new Pathfinder has improved interior amenities. With its larger body on a longer, 112.2-inch wheelbase that provides for greater comfort and stability, there is more room inside than in the outgoing model. Three rows of seats means seven people can travel under its roof, though that third row is pretty tight, even when you’re five-feet-four. The second- and third-row seats are split, and each part folds flat. A folding front passenger seat is available. Outside, a functional roof rack is new, while Nissan’s signature C-pillar-mounted rear door handles are retained. It’s a good-looking truck, even if the panel fits could be more even.

The XE is the base model and there are three additional trim levels: SE, SE Off-Road and LE, all available in 4x2 or 4x4 configuration. Step up to the SE and you get running boards, roof rack crossbars, fog lamps, front tow hook, the folding front seat, cargo net, first-aid kit, body-colored outside mirrors and an eight-way power driver’s seat, among other features.

Choose SE Off-Road for a more aggressive look: aluminum alloy wheels, painted front springs and special badging. Performance add-ons include Rancho shocks and skid plates. The off-road traction system in the 4x4 SE Off-Road has limited slip and the HDC and HSA features, which are exclusive to this model. Luxury items include dual-zone climate control, rear air conditioning and adjustable pedals.

Nissan expects the top-line LE to make up 40 percent of Pathfinder sales. It adds 17-inch wheels, heated outside mirrors, auto headlamps, sunroof, HomeLink, upgraded Bose stereo, steering wheel-mounted audio switches, leather, power-adjustable front passenger seat, driver memory package, wood trim, front side-impact airbags, side-impact curtains and rollover protection for all passengers. A navigation system is available along with an entertainment package with LCD, plus MP3 ability
and satellite radio.

Nissan says its new Smyrna, Tennessee-built Pathfinder offers a better balance of off-road ability and on-road utility than other midsize SUVs. We hear competitors are upgrading their entries, too, which is a buzz of activity we welcome more than those bees at lunch.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had 3 Pathfinders in the last 9 yrs and I liked each one better than the prior one. To me the 2005 is really ugly. I don't need the third seat. When I checked the Muranos fuel economy to other SUVs I ordered the 2005 Murano. After 9 yrs. of Pathfinders I have nothing but good things to say about them except that I could never go back to a car.

I can't wait for my MO!!!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Murano is my first nissan .. so i have this questions to you all ...

Dont you all thing the pathfinder will canibalize the SE line of nissan xterra? FYI, SE xtrerra (with V6 and/or turbo) cost around $25K+

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-NPriceOptions_modelId-31350,00.html

IMHO, if i am planning to bring an suv off road, something like a j jeep or xterrra is what i am gonna choose.
Any of you think that nissan going to stop doing the SE line of xterra and associate future marketing campaign of xterra to be a less-than-$21K-off-roader?

·
Midnight Marauder
80 Posts
The second-row seat is a 40/20/40 split, but folds flat when required and is comfortable for passengers to lie on. But when seated, second-row passengers may complain on longer trips as there's no room under the front seats for their feet.
Are they kidding?! That is the exact reason I got up and walked out of a Nissan dealership when looking at the 03 Pathfinder... Why the hell would I buy an SUV that makes 50% of the passengers uncomfortable?

Meanwhile, people can just about lay down with the room and reclining seats in the back of the Murano...

Nissan's thinking on that design is beyond me... I'll gladly stick with my Murano after reading that!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Murano is my first nissan .. so i have this questions to you all ...

SugarRushMurano said:
Dont you all thing the pathfinder will canibalize the SE line of nissan xterra? FYI, SE xtrerra (with V6 and/or turbo) cost around $25K+

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-NPriceOptions_modelId-31350,00.html

IMHO, if i am planning to bring an suv off road, something like a j jeep or xterrra is what i am gonna choose.
Any of you think that nissan going to stop doing the SE line of xterra and associate future marketing campaign of xterra to be a less-than-$21K-off-roader?

The 2005 Xterra will be similarly updated like the Pathfinder. In fact, the new Xt is a midget twin of the Pathfinder - same platform, same engine, etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts