Nissan Murano Forum banner

05 Rear wipper

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Gonzo 
#1 ·
If noone mentioned it I just noticed that the 05s have a differnt rear wipper. I bet it would fit my 03... I kind of like the look better. Oh well when I have to replace the rear blade and can't get the #$@# :3: off I will get this one. :p

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What is different ?

The housing ? or the length of the wiper?
I am running to my murano tomorrow morning to take a good look...:4:

#3 ·
I have an 03 and the wiper housing/arm is completely different. The 03 (maybe 04 too) covers up the blade more... which maybe a good thing to protect it better from the sun... I don't know.... :8:

At any rate the 05 is smaller and sleeker looking.

#4 ·
Yeah the 05 seems to have a smaller blade cover. I recently replaced my 03 wiper blade (not the cover, the actual blade). What a difference - now I have a clean rear window!

#5 ·
indeed 05 is different.
i was at the dealership to get my rear wiper replacement and had a chance to look at the 05 in the showroom. the cover of rear is a bit smaller at the end.
however, you are right Eric L, the new wiper blade does make the rear window very clean.
but i dont understand one thing, why does the Nissan made a replacement blade for the front but the whole wiper assembly for the rear window.....

#6 ·
hasaanbhutta said:
indeed 05 is different.
i was at the dealership to get my rear wiper replacement and had a chance to look at the 05 in the showroom. the cover of rear is a bit smaller at the end.
however, you are right Eric L, the new wiper blade does make the rear window very clean.
but i dont understand one thing, why does the Nissan made a replacement blade for the front but the whole wiper assembly for the rear window.....

Its not the whole wiper assembly at the back - you can replace just the blade (underneath the cover). If your dealer replaced the entire assembly, you got ripped off! I bought my wipers for $8 each from the dealer. Comes with install instructions - takes maybe 5 minutes for a clutz like me.

#8 ·
Eric L. said:

Its not the whole wiper assembly at the back - you can replace just the blade (underneath the cover). If your dealer replaced the entire assembly, you got ripped off! I bought my wipers for $8 each from the dealer. Comes with install instructions - takes maybe 5 minutes for a clutz like me.
hmmm.... well he charged me $17 for that rear wiper..... so i guess he did charged me more.... b/c my front blades were 9 and 12 $ (passenger & driver respectively) i asked him if there was only the blade for the rear but he told me that its the whole wiper. blade + body.

i will take a picture of what i bought and post it here. please confirm if thats what u bought as well

i do have a survey that i got mailed in by Nissan about the service i received. i have to report a prick at the dealership for the alternator issue and how he started lecturing about buying it from local dealership and thats when he could help.

#9 ·
hasaanbhutta....I just had mine replaced at the dealer last week. The wiper blade was 9.99 and it was only the blade and it came with instructions for removing the old blade and installing the new one. After watching the guy do it and armed with the instructions, I will do it myself next time.

Anyway...the blade and the plastic covering over it are not just one piece...you can replace just the blade.

#10 ·
the guy who replaced mine, didnt actually take the whole kit out, he did the same job as what we do with the front wipers. he took the blade out of the rear assembly, took the new blade out of the new assembly and replaced it...
result, i have a brand new assembly for the rear wiper.....

#11 ·
grfg8r said:
Does anyone know if you can replace 04 Rear Wiper w/ 05?
I don't know for sure but I don't see why it wouldn't. The "stem" that comes out of the glass where the wiper arm attaches to looks the same as my 03.

I'm tempted to try it. I was told the entire part (including the cover for the nut) would cost Blade - $10.76, Arm - $14.24, Cover $5.05.

Not too bad... hmmmm.

#12 ·
Gonzo and Fndonaghy,
Did you see my post:

Aftermarket Proto Op
For anybody who lives in Boston area that is interested, this is what was sent to me by an aftermarket performance company.

Thank you for the interest in our product. We do not have an intake or exhaust out for the nissan murano yet but it is something we are planning on doing in the near future, we just need a car to prototype them on. Where are you located? If you are close to us we would be intersted in using you for the prototype. Please let me know.

-steve
FrankenCar Performance
P.O. Box 360
Bondsville, MA 01009
413-289-2136
www.frankencar.com

y post ref:

#13 ·
Picture comparison

No more curve to match the glass. Individuality dwindles. :(

Attachments

#15 ·
RE: replace 03-04 blade with 05...

I don't know for sure but I don't see why it wouldn't. The "stem" that comes out of the glass where the wiper arm attaches to looks the same as my 03.

I'm tempted to try it. I was told the entire part (including the cover for the nut) would cost Blade - $10.76, Arm - $14.24, Cover $5.05.

Not too bad... hmmmm.
This sounds interesting.
I wonder whether it will be a direct fit or not...
Gonzo, you will try this right?? :4:

#16 ·
hasaanbhutta said:
the guy who replaced mine, didnt actually take the whole kit out, he did the same job as what we do with the front wipers. he took the blade out of the rear assembly, took the new blade out of the new assembly and replaced it...
result, i have a brand new assembly for the rear wiper.....
Oh thats what I did with mine too. However, the rear wiper isn't like the front wiper. The actual wiper blade (metal blade plus rubber wiper) fits into a wiper arm (the plastic cover) that is attached to the part of the wiper that moves. Nissan specifies that when this plastic cover no longer holds the blade with a specific force, its also time to replace the cover. I thought thats what the dealer did for you. Kind of hard to describe without the actual instructions that came with the wiper blade.

#17 ·
I noticed the crook in the 03/04 arm. I wonder if the stops are the same for the motors considering the 05 is straight.
Oh, I know that the motor shaft is splined and you can mount it in any direction, just wondered about the stops. I guess one of us will have to look at the 03/04 arm stopped to the left to see.

#20 ·
Its tempting to try it but I'm not convieced that I want to get rid of mine yet... I'll wait until I have to replace the blade as I'm expecting on breaking the entire thing when trying. :4:

Corin, great shot from that angle.

#22 ·
yeah same with mine. the 03 wiper on mine wipes a top portion of my window and a lower portion leaving a nice big streak inthe middle so you still can't see out the back clearly. i've also had a wiper refil put it and it dosn't make a difference. maybe if possible someone could replace the existing spring iwth a higher tension one, or just whind the one on now on more turn and place it back on.

#24 ·
grfg8r said:
Yeah, my rear wiper presses the glass like a wet noodle!
Mine ('05) seems to do fine. It's not a strong spring, but it does hold it decently. Cleans the whole area that it touches, not just the top and bottom like you guys are seeing with yours.

Going over the mountains with wet roads and muddy water being spayed everywhere provided me with the opporutnity to work the rear wiper pretty hard. It seems to work fine, no complaints. I didn't particularly like the dribbling effect of the washer fluid sprayer back there, though... Seems like they could have made that a little better. Or maybe a lot better.

#25 ·
I would love to find some sort or spoiler for the MO that would look good to help keep the rear window clean. I have not see anything nor do I know if it is even possible to design/mount something that wouldn't look bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.