Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed one of these yet. I went to the dealer today to order one and it appears as if there are 5 clips that hold it down versus a simple self adhesive tape like the old rubber one.

If this is true then......damn you Nissan (once again). :3:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i really want the aluminium bumper protector also. saw one on a white mo and it looked great. next time i'm at the dealership i'll check it out. how much did it run you biggun??

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't actually purchase it because of my concerns.

1. The different rear bumper stock number indicating that you may need to modify the rear bumper to install the aluminum protector.

2. The clips in lieu of adhesive tape - again will drilling into my bumper be involved?

However, the cost is approx. $42 for the protector and under $2 each for the clips times 5 required, total approx. $50.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
If the part number for the rear bumper has changed for the '06 model I would assume it is for the mounting holes for the bumper guard. Installing the new bumper guard on a pre-'06 model will most likely require drilling/cutting holes in the existing bumper.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
We need some updated assy pics.
From there it would be easy to see if in fact you need to mount with clips or get away with adhesive strips.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Thanks!

Now....I cant make up my mind whether the clips themselves screw on or are on by adhesive. I didn't see any screws there....

:confused:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
mgthe3 said:
Thanks!

Now....I cant make up my mind whether the clips themselves screw on or are on by adhesive. I didn't see any screws there....

:confused:
From what I see in the drawing, it looks like each clip has two "hooks" that would reach up through slots in the bumper and affix to notches in the underside of the bumper protector.

I may be way off base on this because the drawing does not show pre-cut slots in the bumper.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took a good look at one on a 06 MO at the dealer.

It appears that there are two peices to the protector, a black rubber base (that is not shown in the image that I attached) that attaches to the bumper (possibly by tape) and the aluminium trim that goes on top of the plastic base. It appears that the clips attach the aluminium peice to the plastic base because there did not appear to be enough thickness in the plastic base to accept the clips.

Regardless, I wil be ordering it this Saturday when I go in for my 15,000 mile check up, which they are charging me $200 for!

:eek:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, the saleman and I went under the MO and looked for the clips under the bumper skin. We were able to see the clips that secure the skin to the MO, but it did not appear that the clips go through the skin to secure the protector.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Biggun-

From your drawing it looks like the clips are attached from the underside of the bumper.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From your drawing it looks like the clips are attached from the underside of the bumper.
The drawing is horrible. It doesn't even show the two peices to the protector (rubber base/aluminium trim).

Does anybody have the 06 Service Manual which could help shed some light on this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have seen this same problem with the 2006 Mercedes ML rear bumper protector. The rubber one uses a double sided tape and the factory stainless steel one uses clips, our solution was to cut off the clips on the stainless steel one and stick it to the bumper using the double sided 3M body molding tape. It worked like a champ. Perhaps you could apply the same methode here.

-FJ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does any one have the part numbers associated with these? I am not sure if everything is described in that picture. Also I called my Nissan Dealer and he didn't even show it as an orderable part yet, but rather only the plain black one gfor the previous models. I have an '05 and I really like the brushed aluminum better.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, those are the "part codes". The part numbers are 85066-cc20a (protector) and 85042-cc20a (clips - 5 required). Of cource, someone hits my rear bumper and now I have to put this project on hold until I get it fixed. Aurgh!!!

I'd put alot more picts on the site (which includes that parts list), but apparently I have exceeded my gallary size limit.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
sayfj- your method is exactly what i'm planning on doing..once the snow melts.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Stephan625 said:
Does any one have the part numbers associated with these? I am not sure if everything is described in that picture. Also I called my Nissan Dealer and he didn't even show it as an orderable part yet, but rather only the plain black one gfor the previous models. I have an '05 and I really like the brushed aluminum better.
Stephan625-

Let your fingers do the walking. Call another dealer.

-njjoe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Part# for Rear Bumper Protector

85066-CC20A
That is the silver Bumper Prot. with black underside. It has clips on it with bolts in them. I paid $33 at the dealer. list at $42.25. When they put it on my '05 they clipped off the bolt clips and attached it with double sided trim tape.. So far it looks great and is holding Perfect....

white SL AWD Leather and the works...
:D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: Part# for Rear Bumper Protector

Cuemaker said:
85066-CC20A
That is the silver Bumper Prot. with black underside. It has clips on it with bolts in them. I paid $33 at the dealer. list at $42.25. When they put it on my '05 they clipped off the bolt clips and attached it with double sided trim tape.. So far it looks great and is holding Perfect....

white SL AWD Leather and the works...
:D
My thoughts exactly. If the old version stayed on with adhesive tape, no reason why the new one shouldn't.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts