Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2003 Murano I had an extension to the valve on the spare tire, so that the pressure could be checked without disassembling the rear of the cabin. When my lease expired I forgot (oh, those Senior moments!) to remove it. So I ordered another, and today it came.

What a surprise when I installed it. First, of course, one has to remove the tray and the board that covers the Bose Speaker and the Spare. That's the easy part. It was also easy to remove the Speaker. I was not prepared to see that the spare is upside down, so that the valve is on the bottom. It cannot be turned over because the speaker requires space. So I was glad to have the extension; otherwise it's a real project.

But the fun begins when re-installing. Let's play "Betcha can't find the hole that the hold-down screw goes in!" It gets frustrating after about 23 tries.

I know that engineers have to do what they have to do, and automotive engineers have to squeeze into the space that the design artists give them, but....

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
wchandler-

Did you finally get it back in? On the 24th try?

I like the idea about the extension. That makes it a lot simpler to check the pressure. If it is simple to check, you are more apt to check it.

Volkswagen had a great way to check the spare's air pressure back in the 60's. The windshield washer was powered by the air pressure in the spare tire. When the washer stopped working that usually meant the spare needed air. Simple, effective, albeit a little too late, but effective none the less. :rolleyes:

-njjoe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I finally got it, but lost count of how many tries it took. There must be a better way, but for now the extension really helps.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Can you post a link to the extension? I mean link for the site where you got it from...:D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
That is a cool accessory and a great idea. Thanks for posting about it.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Thanks for the URL. How has your experience been with air leakage with these extensions? Does the spare tire pressure tend to drop faster with this installed requiring more frequent checks?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts