Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the hitch wiring harness for the new MO today. Before I dive into this project tomorrow I'd welcome any pointers from those who have already done this. I did install my own wiring on the '03 MO.

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
324 Posts
clydesdale said:
I picked up the hitch wiring harness for the new MO today. Before I dive into this project tomorrow I'd welcome any pointers from those who have already done this. I did install my own wiring on the '03 MO.

Thanks,
Larry
Take some pics and post them in a tread, I got my wiring harness last week, but have yet to tackle it. Beside, _____ 'E-trailer' ____ has taken a week and a half with my Curt hitch order and it's still not shipped... AARRRGGGG..... I only picked them because they only charged 99¢ where as Hitch source was about $12 for shipping... Good thing I don't have to have it right away....

PM me if you need a place to post the images.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a tip for installing your hitch. The instructions tell you to drop the exhaust system enough so you can slide the mounting bars over the twin exhaust tips - thats a lot more work than you need to do. What I did on the '03 and the new '06 was take a rubber hammer (or anything soft, a rag around a wrench handle will do) and lightly knock on the back side of the chrome exhast tip. It will slide right off and make plenty of room to slide the hitch in. Reverse the process to reinstall the tips. I'll let you know how the wiring goes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Kind of Scary knocking the exhaust tip

Let me know if you knock the exhaust tip off and put it back on. That scares me that I wouldn't be able to get it back on but if does sound a lot easier than removing the exhaust. Think smarter not harder!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Kind of Scary knocking the exhaust tip

Frumunda Cheese said:
Let me know if you knock the exhaust tip off and put it back on. That scares me that I wouldn't be able to get it back on but if does sound a lot easier than removing the exhaust. Think smarter not harder!
Thats what I did on both cars. It works and saves time and busted knuckles! The tips are just compression fitted on - they come off and go on with no problem.

I found this out when I did a little off road forray in back of my house and rubbed one of the tips off when I took an incline a bit too sharply. At first I was dismayed but then I found it slide on as easily as it slid off.

Give it a knock or two and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hitch wiring went in without a hitch. The instructions provided in the kit were really pretty good. The only place I had to deviate and get creative was in mounting the outside plug. Since the kit is manufactured for the OEM trailer hitch there are mounting brackets and plastic clips provided designed for that hitch. I reused the Hidden Hitch that I had installed on my '03 MO. I removed part of the preassembled plug mounting bracket and tapped two holes on the underside of the hitch tube then mounted the plug there using a couple self tapping screws.

One other item to check! The kit comes with two 30 amp fuses - one spare and one to install in the fuse box. After I had the wiring installed and was ready to test it I popped the hood to install this fuse and found that there was a 30amp fuse ALREADY in place! This could have caused some problems if messed up in the wiring install process. I should have checked this first and removed it till my wiring was complete then reinstalled it. It would be good to check if that fuse is installed before proceding.

It took me about 2.5 hours and 3 beers. I took my time reinstalling the pannels making sure they were all aligned properly and seated tightly. I was pleased that there were no rattles or squeeks when I took it out for a test spin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts