Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum folks I have an 07 murano 3.5 just replaced the alternator and got it all back together now it starts and then dies almost like its running out of fuel I can pump the gas pedal and it revs like its gonna stay running but eventually falls off and dies again

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
What you need is a diagnosis...don't start throwing parts at it.

Start by looking for trouble codes.

Check your air filter and fuel filters; what you describe sounds more like fuel than spark..

Also run a voltage test on the battery and charging system. Check Google for how-tos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
No coded

What you need is a diagnosis...don't start throwing parts at it.

Start by looking for trouble codes.

Check your air filter and fuel filters; what you describe sounds more like fuel than spark..

Also run a voltage test on the battery and charging system. Check Google for how-tos.
No codes outside of tpms front left tires wont run long enough to test new alternator but battery is currently hooked to auto charger so as soon as it drops below 12 volts it kicks on

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
I suggest you get a real charger on it and put a full charge in it before trying again. If you have a fully charged battery it won't matter whether for a few minutes the alternator is charging or not.

So far the symptoms point to fuel or air as the problem, not electricity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's where I am at had it on a real charger before moving it to the booster while in the vehicle for testing just hard to believe losing a fuel pump at the same time as an alternator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vehicle died got it to the shop charged battery started tested alternator producing 11.42 volts

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
11.42 is two volts too low. The alternator must put out more than 14V when it's first running. After it has run for a while and the battery is charged the voltage may drop slightly, but it simply must charge at about 14.4 volts at startup.

Funny - we've had more than one report of replacement alternators not charging properly. What was the supplier for this alternator?? I'd favor NAPA as the source for a remanufactured alternator, since dealers are very expensive. (I don't replace alternators with new ones, it's too easy to rebuild an alternator.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes napa and just removed it and had it tested and it makes 14.4 on test 3 times in a row got the starting and dying issue figured out mass air flow was causing it to die with no code but alternator still charging below 12v

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
How old is your battery? If that alternator is only putting out <12 volts while at idle its a bad alternator. I would return that and get it from another store like AZ. All you are doing is draining your batery until it completely dies.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes napa and just removed it and had it tested and it makes 14.4 on test 3 times in a row got the starting and dying issue figured out mass air flow was causing it to die with no code but alternator still charging below 12v
If your new alternator bench tested fine and you're measuring basically battery voltage at the terminals when it' s in the car then check for a blown fuse on the fusible link attached to the battery positive cable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's help figured it out it was the plug the 3 pin or brown wire which is the alternator igniter wire was not making connection put another pigtail on it and bam 14.4v drops to 14.06 with headlights radio and heater on high

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks for everyone's help figured it out it was the plug the 3 pin or brown wire which is the alternator igniter wire was not making connection put another pigtail on it and bam 14.4v drops to 14.06 with headlights radio and heater on high
Just to confirm, the problem was with the brown wire (Terminal 3; L circuit)? That's the circuit for the battery charge warning lamp. I would think the connection problem would be with the yellow/black wire (Terminal 4; S circuit) since that connects to the voltage regulator. Anyway, thanks for the updates and it's good to hear you fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it was the brown wire terminal 3 it's the wire from the key that excites the alternator and starts charging
Screenshot_20200215-134831_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts