Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so, I have a 2007 Nissan Murano and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why it will not stay started. Last Thursday I was at work and it rode fine during lunch and on the way home I got gas cause I was literally running on fumes because I didn't have time during my lunch to get gas but on my way home after getting gas, it died 15 miles from my home out of nowhere. I should also mention that I changed the oil & filter the night before. So I try to start it a couple times and it tried to stay running but then stalled or died out. I flipped my car's key to the "ON" position to see if I can hear my fuel pump engage, nothing. So I try a couple more times just to be safe before I leave it on the side of the road. I leave and come back later that night and try to start it, nothing. Next day, I go try again on my way home from work and I am able to crank it, start it and drive it down the road from my home then it dies again so I ended up pulling it with my boyfriends dad's truck the rest of the way.. Come this past Monday evening, I get the fuel pump & decide to put it on, get it in & all hooked up then I try to start the car.. normally, I assume a car would start after the fuel pump is replaced. Mine would do the same thing it was doing before except now I hear the pump engaging. It will crank, start and then go for a few seconds then die. I have tried to think of everything it could be but I just need some help seeing if I could pinpoint this issue. I was thinking the battery, starter, cam and crank shift sensors and a bunch of other things but I'm not really sure what could cause this since I'm not super knowledgeable about cars. It's not the sparkplug or coils because I replaced them brand new a month ago. I'm hoping someone here with more knowledge can help me. Also the night I had to leave it on the side of the road, someone rode up and cut my catalytic converter off so I have that problem as well but that's not my main concern right now since the car will not stay running even before that. I also hear a little humming noise under my hood when the key is in the "ON" position but I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. I was hoping someone could help me figure it out? If you need more information, I will try my best to provide you with as much as I can. Thank you so much in advance! I have a video of my trying to start it and also of the humming now but it will not let me upload due to the extension of the video which is probably mp4. Thank you again for the help! 馃檹馃徏

Registered
Start by having both your battery and alternator load tested. You can get this done for free at more places like AutoZone, etc.

While you're there, have them scan your Murano for OBD2 error codes, then post them here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do this but the car will not stay running longer then a few seconds so I am not able to drive it. I have thought about putting jumper cables to see if it getting more power will keep it running.

Registered
I would do this but the car will not stay running longer then a few seconds so I am not able to drive it. I have thought about putting jumper cables to see if it getting more power will keep it running.
You haven't checked for codes yet, but is the MIL on?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the service engine light has been on constant. Even before I changed the spark plugs and fuel pump. But the MIL light, which I'm assuming is the malfunction indicator light, no. It just had the service engine light. Forgive me if they are the same.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And it starts consistently every time now, but just shuts down after a few seconds?
It shuts down every couple seconds or so. About 6-10 seconds then dies. I try to press gas to try to get it going but it doesn't anything. Even rev. The rpm don't move when I press gas pedal before it dies.

Registered
It shuts down every couple seconds or so. About 6-10 seconds then dies. I try to press gas to try to get it going but it doesn't anything. Even rev. The rpm don't move when I press gas pedal before it dies.
You are seeing an RPM reading on the tachometer when the engine is running, correct? It would be nice to be able to look at some sensor data, but it appears you don't have a scan tool handy that can do this.

The engine has shown that it can run so I'd first suggest trying to determine whether or not the engine can continue running longer than just 6-10 seconds if you introduce an external fuel source. Get a can of starter fluid, disconnect one of the larger hoses that goes to the intake manifold (e.g. brake booster,) and start the engine. At about the 5 second mark start spraying short bursts of starter fluid into the intake manifold via the hose and see if you can make it to 30 seconds or longer. If so, then it would appear that you still have some kind of problem with fuel delivery.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, it does when it first starts up then when I try to press the gas pedal, the rpm doesn't move and then shuts down. I am in the process of trying to get a code reader so I can check to see if it will throw any codes out. That won't cause it to get clogged up, right? I don't wanna cause more issues then it's already having. Lol. I was wondering if it could be a clogged fuel injector or something like that but I have no way of testing it. That I know about. I could check on YouTube and see if I could try one of those ways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts