Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My car has developed this nasty rattle that sounds like rocks underneath it. I have been chasing a hum ever since it sat for a couple months last year, and just replaced all 4 brake calipers because the slide pins were seized. This noise seems to only be there in drive and doesn't go away under 40. I haven't dared to go over 40 yet. I check the driveshaft and the front u joint has some play in one side of it. Any ideas of what to look for next/what might be a culprit. I checked over the exhaust and it doesn't appear to be broken from the outside.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Is your Murano FWD or AWD?

How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is awd with 137k. Also V6. Not the first owner, so unsure of any service history on the vehicle

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I would check the transfer case fluid level if there is any sign of it leaking. It only holds 5/8 pint, just a little over a cup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input. I didn't realize the transfer case fluid was not incorporated in the transmission. I will have to check that this weekend

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
thanks for the input. I didn't realize the transfer case fluid was not incorporated in the transmission. I will have to check that this weekend
It uses regular gear oil. I wouldn't drive your Murano again until you check both for a leak, and if one is found, check the fluid level. I'm concerned that you mentioned something that sounded like rocks underneath... The transfer case is located under the driver, and when it fails, I would suspect it may sound like rocks...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a very reasonably assumption and I have stopped driving it. Thankfully I have another car for the meantime. It didn't look wet when I was looking over u-joints, but that may mean its empty and has been for some time now :( The rock-esque sound came in right after changing brake calipers so I was curious if there was any correlation, but the tc may have decided its time was up. If it's dry, I'll try adding some gear oil just to see what happens, but I'll update this weekend when I can get hands on with it. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Below is a link to where I drained and refilled the transfer case on my 2003. It shows an easy way to remove the fill plug, which is what most people complain about. As I was doing the job and recording it for a DIY video, I lost focus when replacing the drain plug and ended up screwing it in too far and cracking the casing, causing a leak. That drain plug does NOT get turned in until tight. You use some sealant around the threads and perhaps inside the hole, then turn it back in with a few threads still showing. Take a measurement or make a mark before removing it to indicate how much of the end of the drain plug is exposed. Rear differential, transfer case, CVT filter/fluid...

If you're hearing rocks, it's probably a broken tooth/gear bouncing around inside the transfer case. You might have plenty of gear oil in there, but a piece of metal still broke off. It happened to me twice, for no particular reason. Sounded like I had a piece of crushed stone bouncing around. At higher speeds it wasn't as noticable. I drove it like that at all speeds while I looked for a used one, and I ended up putting maybe 2000 miles on it before finding a replacement. It went away for a few days because the piece must've gotten stuck somewhere inside so it couldn't richochet around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the video. I will make sure to not put the fill plug in too far. Is there any particular sealant that needs to be used or just like a gasket maker?

·
Administrator
9,153 Posts
Most oil check plugs don't use sealant or gaskets - just screw in the plug firmly.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Thanks for the video. I will make sure to not put the fill plug in too far. Is there any particular sealant that needs to be used or just like a gasket maker?
Nissan specifies a RTV sealant for the fill plug.

You can access the service manuals here:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slight update: I pulled the fill plug and oil came out. Black oil, but oil. Trying to pull the drain plug, but its an 8mm allen that is rusted out to a 9mm that I don't have so trying to find that tonight and get new oil. Side note: the inner housing of the driver's side axle is all wet. Can't fit my hand up there to check what it is with the wheel on so need to do that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drained the transfer case. Oil is very shiny and there was metal on my hand. Leaning towards it being the transfer case. Thank you all for your help

·
Administrator
9,153 Posts
Cross your fingers on that one. I'd start checking online for prices on new or used transfer cases. This particular assembly is not one of the stronger parts of this series Murano.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah youre right about that one. I didn't know they were an issue when I got the car a couple years ago but now I know. From what I've seen, $300+ is what they are going for used, and new is well out of my price range. Are there any places that remanufacture/rebuild these transfer cases?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I would think if it's the transfer case making the rocks sound you'd find more than what you mentioned, I'd expect find some sizeable chunks in the oil too...

Did you measure how much came out? It should be 5/8th of a pint (a little over an 8 ounce of a cup) if it was full.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From the side of the bottle it's in, I got out a little over a quarter of a quart not including what spilled. There were a couple larger pieces of metal in the pan, roughly 1/8 of an inch across, but the majority of what I saw was specs in the oil.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
From the side of the bottle it's in, I got out a little over a quarter of a quart not including what spilled. There were a couple larger pieces of metal in the pan, roughly 1/8 of an inch across, but the majority of what I saw was specs in the oil.
I would consider 1/8th inch chunks sizeable...

That would mean it had the proper amount of fluid in it. It must have experienced another issue that cause it to break-up... Maybe it was put into AWD lock mode on dry pavement or something...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excuse my ignorance, but what is AWD lock mode? This car has been humming for almost 6 months before getting to this point, so something might have happened that I wasn't aware of a while ago.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
What year is your Murano?

Earlier Muranos had an AWD lock button, it was eliminated at some point, I don't recall which model year... It's on the center console nearest the front.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts