Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am new so be patient. Have not found a solid answer yet. I have picked up a clean 09
Awd..300.00. Of course bad trans. I pulled a good 08 Maxima, swapped the diff unit and front housing. Yes, very easy and I did my home work. New fluid, filter etc. Drives great. 1issue when putting into drive or reverse there is about a 4 second delay and then a solid engagement. Not hard but solid, moreso in drive. My buddy at Nissan said drive it, let vb relearn driving characteristics. Any thoughts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is the 08 maxima a CVT as well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. After research all numbers for the maxima,altima v6 and Murano cross to same. Internal are the same so only diff and front case are changed to make it awd

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
When you shift, does the gear indicator on the dashboard immediately show the new gear or does it take a few seconds just like the actual physical shift? Did you transfer the ROM assembly from your old CVT to the new valve body (or reinitialize the new ROM)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it shows straightaway. I did change the ROM, ( I assume you mean the little black box on the vb). I have a brand new vb but hate to change it and have the same issue. I actually bought this vehicle from the family of my buddy at Nissan, so he knows the vehicle well and says to drive it and it will get better and it DOES NOT require any programming but just wanna make sure. More annoying than anything.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
If your buddy at Nissan says to just drive it, then I would think you'll have to take his word for it as he should know better than anyone else. If it ends up working itself out (or you find another solution) then post an update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I'm leaning that way and do trust him just wondered if anyone else here have had a similar issue when doing a trans or vb swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok update. So I installed the new vb I got. Over all they looked the same but the harness was different and 1 small sensor was off. I changed the harness and with a little savvy made it work. Waste of time, no reverse and still a solid drive engagement. I had my buddy give me a transmission out of a 07 Maxima that was good. Valve body swapped last night and she is perfect. Bottom line, when you order a replacement valve body, get the correct one. There is a number on your to match, The biggest visable difference is that one has a 1 piece harness and the other has a 2 piece, large green connector right on top. Good luck

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
Ok update. So I installed the new vb I got. Over all they looked the same but the harness was different and 1 small sensor was off. I changed the harness and with a little savvy made it work. Waste of time, no reverse and still a solid drive engagement. I had my buddy give me a transmission out of a 07 Maxima that was good. Valve body swapped last night and she is perfect. Bottom line, when you order a replacement valve body, get the correct one. There is a number on your to match, The biggest visable difference is that one has a 1 piece harness and the other has a 2 piece, large green connector right on top. Good luck
Just so we have this straight in case anyone else wants to go in the same direction if their CVT fails...

You got a used (good) CVT from a 2008 Maxima and transferred the transaxle bell housing and differential from your Murano's broken CVT to the Maxima CVT. Then, you had to pull the valve body from a 2007 Maxima CVT and install it in your "new" CVT. Is this right?

BTW...how much did all this cost you all together?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes does sound confusing. I bought a 08 Maxima cvt, used the differential and front case (due to the awd) and installed. It had a faulty valve body, I had a new one in case but wrong (got refunded for that) and my Nissan buddy gave me a good known 07 Maxima valve body that was good....Whew! So I have around 790.00 with fluid, trans and filter. My labor is a write off since I piddle about in the evenings and weekends. I guess I really just wanted to see if I could get it accomplished. If I had a 2wd Murano and got a good trans with no issues it would have been a lot less messing around. I still feel better since most used trans I found were 1500 or better and not much more labor to replaced vb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts