Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry - I am double posting - but I am still in shock over here....

Picked up my MO that didn't want to reverse last weekend....

They totally took apart my car! I got to see it totally taken apart - all I could think of is thank GOD this is warrantied...

One Transmission - a lot bigger than we thought it was - they showed it to us. $5,000.00 (and some change)

Also the transfer case was leaking but they couldn't figure out why - so it got replaced - $3,000.00

Some other smaller issues that usually would be of note - but not with these numbers

And the labor to take it apart and rebuild car from bottom up: $3,000.00

Got me thinking though - if your car is only worth $18,000 to $20,000 or even less as the cars get older - what in the heck do you do if you have to redo all this and your over the 60k mileage limit.

Wow - had to share...... Also - service manager swore I was the first tranny he has had to replace in two years. Dont know if I believe him or not. He did say they have had to replace cracked transfer cases though.

Crunch

·
Registered
263 Posts
Holy Cow,

I better get myself another Brand New MO, before my warranty expired!

NZM

·
5,244 Posts
Crunch

this is the reason I have 100k miles/5 years warranty. And I do not intend to keep this car longer than that. Unless CVT repairs costs drop to <$1,500 I will not buy another Murano. I want a car that has resonable reliability and repair cost. Maybe Murano is reliable but not cheap to repair. And Nissan service has a lot to desire. They have no idea what troubleshooting is. They knowledge of cars is questinable.

Glad you were covered by warranty. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Crunch-

That $11,000 bill is justification for one of two options when someone's MO is approaching the end of it's warranty period - an additional extended warranty or a new MO.

Who is going to want to spend $11,000 on a 3 1/2 year-old car with 61,000 miles?

-njjoe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
couple new things

Well - they made me turn in the rental car last night. We went to pick up the MO today - and it isnt going to be done till Monday now - due to the amount of labor required.

They gave us a 2005 new Quest Minivan - loaded. Boy is that like driving a space ship! Wild dash board - not sure if I like it. Has two DVD screens and lots of sun roofs.

Also started looking at 2006 MO's since I am def not keeping this one when the warranty expires.

They have a couple neat features - the back up camera, smart key, color screen is nice. Drives the same and the price is a lot higher - lol.

Choices choices.....

As I am sure you all have too!

Crunch

·
Registered
781 Posts
The CVT is cool - but until they are able to be repaired for a resonable price - forget about it.

Be thankful that 11K isn't coming out of your pocket.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally agree

GMTURBO43 said:
The CVT is cool - but until they are able to be repaired for a resonable price - forget about it.

Be thankful that 11K isn't coming out of your pocket.
That is why I am starting to look for a new car. My husband just bought a bmw which was supposed to be in last week - but they kindof lost it. (He did the European delivery - drove it 3000 miles and then they ship it over here).

So I was hoping to keep the Murano a couple more years - but after this - it aint happenin. Figure I have 11,000 miles which is about 7 months still.... I refuse to pay their prices for an extended warranty.

They did offer me 16k for a trade in cost.... ughhhh

crunch

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anyone think about how much it may cost outside of a Nissan Dealership? Maybe not such a ripoff? You may also be able to find a perfect CVT and a junk yard. If I didn't have the warranty, surely that would be the way I would go. I wonder if they could drop a maxima or altima transmission in there since its matched to the same engine. They may have to fabricate some mounts but who knows...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had to have the CVT replaced on my '04 Audi A4 and had it not been covered under warranty, the bill would have been nearly $14K in parts and labor!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
shappy0869 said:
Yep! Which is why I would never own an Audi out of warranty!
...Or a MO. The list is growing.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Joe,

I guess you are right, the list is growing.

Shame, as the CVT supposed to have better fuel economy, reliability and be cheaper! I am debating should I take the risk and keep Murano after the warranty expires or not…..still have two years to go. Right now, given the extraordinarily cost of CVT repairs I do not think I will take the chance….pity as I do like Murano and Nissan products. What left? Altima – CVT! Maxima – CVT! Murano – CVT! There is always Infiniti though…………

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris-

What about another MO when the warranty expires?

Actually, I don't think the picture is all that bad. When a CVT fails and we hear about a $11K repair bill everyone takes notice and gets ready to dump their MO. However, there are a vast number of MOs that have hit or are approaching the century mark and are running great. We don't hear about those. Only the disasters make the headlines.

Hopefully in time the MO's CVT will become a repairable item and not a replaceable item. Two grand to rebuild a tranny is easier to stomach than an eleven grand replacement charge.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Joe,
I like the Murano. Every time I think about a new car somehow I go back to Murano. It is a perfect family car offering look, performance, comfort, handling. And after I did the deadening project I appreciate it even more. And even Nissan stepped in and ………but more about it in another thread…..As I said I am glad I still have 2 years to go and do not have to make quick decisions. What I do miss however is a real car! I miss RWD! Every time I drive FX I wish Murano was RWD. Oh, and sometimes I miss handling…………just drove a MB at >200 kph…..what a feeling! Eh, maybe I just follow Homer and get a toy car…….

·
Registered
216 Posts
But the key is that the Murano is a family vehicle. With the family as passengers, I hope you never drive hard enough to explore the limitations of a FWD chassis. Sure the FX may handle better, but for what the Murano excels at (comfort and passenger and cargo room), it blows the FX away, especially for the $$$.

Like you said, best bet is to get a weekend toy if you want power-on oversteer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a new '06 MO SL AWD with under $3000. miles on it.

I plan to take out the 7 year extended warranty before my 3 year warranty runs out. It seems that this is good "insurance."

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Alan

·
5,244 Posts
Just go and get it. I overpaid it but do not regret a bit!

Just make sure it is Nissan warranty. I am not sure why but I think it is important. As to the pricing - I think some people paid $1,200 for 5 years/100k miles. Not sure about 7years.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks! Yes, I plan to get the Nissan Warranty. I will likely wait until I'm in the third year of the warranty. I put less than 10K miles per year on my MO.

Thanks again,
Alan

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
alanpgh said:
I put less than 10K miles per year on my MO.
That is 70k miles in 7 years....The maximum warranty they offer is 100k and 7 years (whichever comes first) so unless you can get a 7 year 75k warranty for very cheap, I don't think you will need one at all....., then again, how reliable/inexpensive are the electronics on the MO?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts