Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I acquired my FWD Murano 2 days ago, the Fuel Economy display has varied between 14.2 and 14.7 MPG at the absolute highest. Do I need to return to my Nissan dealer and have them fix the control unit, or is the car actually getting that kind of mileage? FWIW, most of what I have been doing is local and US highway driving, with just a little Interstate thrown in. And I have been very gentle on the accelerator with only one or two brief exceptions. Based on the amount of gas I have twice put in the vehicle (89 octane) and the position of the fuel guage, I am almost apt to believe that number. I didn't expect 25 highway, but what happened to 20 city?

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Skinner said:
Since I acquired my FWD Murano 2 days ago, the Fuel Economy display has varied between 14.2 and 14.7 MPG at the absolute highest. Do I need to return to my Nissan dealer and have them fix the control unit, or is the car actually getting that kind of mileage? FWIW, most of what I have been doing is local and US highway driving, with just a little Interstate thrown in. And I have been very gentle on the accelerator with only one or two brief exceptions. Based on the amount of gas I have twice put in the vehicle (89 octane) and the position of the fuel guage, I am almost apt to believe that number. I didn't expect 25 highway, but what happened to 20 city?
Wait until you passed the break in period. Typically after the first 1,500 miles you will see that the mpg will become normal. All os uf had this problem during the first week of ownership.

Also, do a search on the forum about 'break in' period on the things you need to do to get a good "break ins" on your car engine and performance.

Welcome to the forum! :4:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you tried doing actual calculations based on miles driven and gas filled up? Just to check to see if the computer is correct..

You'll need to break it in a bit to get better numbers...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: 14.7 Mpg Fwd????

SugarRushMurano said:

Wait until you passed the break in period. Typically after the first 1,500 miles you will see that the mpg will become normal.
Unfortunately, the car is a 2003 with 37,000 miles on it! :eek:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
IMHO I don't think its the calculations but rather accurate. Are you heavy with the gas? (Do RPMs often go over 2000 RPM when accelerating, do RPMS flucuate over a wide range etc.)

What type of driving? City? This would be normal, Highway not normal.

I find then even being light on the pedal I get good acceleration and good mileage (Avg for August 22 MPG)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
The bad news:
The 20 mpg was calculated based on some distance on a level road at some constant speed and then stopping a number of times under controlled conditions. That does not happen in real life. I have never been able to get 20 mpg in the city either. It is more like 14 mpg. I don't get the 24 mpg on the highway either. It is more like 22.4 to 23 mpg. Combined however, I average about 21 to 22, or even maybe 23 if I do not exceed the speed limit.

The good news:
The mpg for all cars are basically measured the same way, so even if MO does not live up to its advertised mpg, still does better than others in its class.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you try resetting the MPG calculation (pressing Trip Reset)?

The number you see is the average MPG since the last reset. The previous owner might have a giant lead foot... :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Holding down the MPG button also resets the meter, which should be done at every fillup (else the reading is meaningless).

Skinner are you calculating MPG at the pump? I keep a little book that I write miles driven and gallons purchased that I track MPG in. The MPG computer is accurate to within 2mpg, but its not exact.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Eric L. said:
Holding down the MPG button also resets the meter, which should be done at every fillup (else the reading is meaningless).

Why, wouldn't it just be a on going average MPG? I have never reset mine and thus far it appears to be working in that manner.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:

Why, wouldn't it just be a on going average MPG? I have never reset mine and thus far it appears to be working in that manner.
Unless you drive the exact same route every single day (such that your driving never changes), the MPG reading will only show the cumulative MPG over the life of the vehicle, and doesn't let you adjust your driving behavior to checkout whether it is affecting fuel economy. Such a reading is less useful than MPG by the tankful since that helps you figure out if something is wrong with the car (if the mileage suddenly drops, for instance). It also helps you figure out what style of driving improves mileage.

But yeah you are right, it is just an ongoing average MPG since you last reset it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
must reset

You have to manually reset the computer because it keeps a running average. Contrary to logic it only tells you your average mpg since the last reset which has very little relation to the current mpg you are getting while driving.

To reset hold down the fuel economy button or use the trip reset which will also reset your trip counters at the same time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
MPG Update

Hey all....FYI, I just completed a trip from Maryland to Atlanta and back (628 miles each way)....Crusie control set to 70 and I got 23 mpg to ATL and 24.7 on the return trip back to MD...Needless to say I am quite pleased with the results...BTW, I calculated the mileage the "old fashion" way....ODO mileage vs fuel(gal) at fill up...On another note, the trip computer was not that far off..it said I got 23.7 on the return trip and 22.3 going...Not sure why you are only getting 14.7 mpg, maybe time for a tune up ???

2005 SL AWD

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have not been reseting it and using my car maintenance program to track MPG with each fill up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts