Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I recently bought an 05 S from a family member with only 45k miles. Few repairs already including radiator fan and a/c compressor. In recent trips up/down 95 from Carolina's to Ny:NJ area, I was getting about 22mpg pushing 80mph on the highway, using 87 octane. Couple questions - In the fuel door it recommends premium, does the Murano really need premium? Second - Is my mpg on par? I just watched a decent video on replacing spark plugs, any recommendations on replacing other components while I've got the intake off? Only part they recommended was pcv valve.

Lastly my fuel door Spring is going bad, I believe I found the part online (78826-CA01B). Any tips on replacing it? I tried looking up videos but was not able to find any.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
There have been many discussions in the past on the pros/cons of using higher octane gas in 1st gen Muranos. I recall the general consensus was that higher octane gas may get you ~10% better gas mileage and a few more HP. However, often the price difference doesn't justify the cost difference... This matches my experience with my '03. Your Murano's knock sensor will adjust to the octane its currently consuming.

Reactions: Jgonder

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There have been many discussions in the past on the pros/cons of using higher octane gas in 1st gen Muranos. I recall the general consensus was that higher octane gas may get you ~10% better gas mileage and a few more HP. However, often the price difference doesn't justify the cost difference... This matches my experience with my '03. Your Murano's knock sensor will adjust to the octane its currently consuming.
What was your average mpg in your 03 Murano?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My highway estimate was for driving 60. Driving 80 it was around the low to mid 20s if I recall...

When in lots of stop and go, around the mid teens.

·
Administrator
9,283 Posts
My highway estimate was for driving 60. Driving 80 it was around the low to mid 20s if I recall...

When in lots of stop and go, around the mid teens.
Yup, that fits what I observed. Gas mileage definitely drops above 60. In town mileage is always low.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts