Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this portable unit at home and decided to set it up in the MO for my kids. A piece of lexan, a few pop rivets, extreme velcro, a couple of small hinges and a little bit of thought gave me the results you see below. The beauty of this is that the Polaroid unit comes with everything you need including a 12v adapter and a battery pack which is supposed to last for 4 hrs if you decide to remove it from the MO. It even comes with a remote and twin headphone adapter. Since it is only mounted with extreme velcro to the flip up table, it can be easily removed and connected to a TV set at home or in a motel. Great for those long trips. Only drawback is when seated on the flat battery pack as shown, it thinks you want to recharge the batterries when you plug it in. Easy fix by putting a piece of scotch tape over the contacters. I was able to use the power socket in the arm rest. There are several portable units on the market today and the prices have dropped substantially in the last year. Nice and flexable setup and way better on the pocketbook. Heck, even the color matches. :2:

Lexan table folded down and in rest position

[/url]

Table folded up, screen open and ready to view.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3078090424&category=15055[IMG]http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL348/944791/3836265/46058662.jpg[/IMG] link to Polariod player specs.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
pretty cool idea! I like it. I think that is a very nice looking cheap alternative! Good work! :4:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone is interested in a similar setup, just ask and I will post pics of the flip up table. If you ever want to remove it entirely, you will only have 2, 1/8" holes to deal with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My "temp" solution is a Delco unit sold by Crutchfield. It's effectively a self-contained box that includes a 7" widescreen LCD, DVD player, outlets for 2 headphones and compartment & hookups for another source, such as a game console. It even has an AC outlet built into it. My kids' Gamecube fits nicely into the compartment, including the controllers, game disks and memory cards.

Another nice feature is that is simply straps down with the middle seat belt and plugs into a power outlet. No screws, clamps or permanent intrusion. Plug it in and you are on your way. And it's actually $50 less than when I bought it last year.

I think the only drawback to it is the size, as it's just a bit on the bulky side. I have 2 sons, so it's perfect for them. You would have issues if you had to sit 3 across though. That and the color does not match my Charcoal leather.

Here's the link for anyone who is interested

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GRJ4GuAvzXT/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=040MM1010

·
4,664 Posts
Now wouldn't it be cool if you could feed the audio into the head unit!:18:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nah, I don't want to listen to my kids play GameCube. They are content with their headphones, and the Wife and I can converse or listen to our own music.

·
4,664 Posts
Good point!:bonk:

·
Registered
13 Posts
audio from potable

I've been looking into the portables myself, it would look nice right on the dash. I bet if you got one of the cords with a cassette on one end and the headphone plug on the other it would play the DVD audio. Just like playing a portable CD through a cassette deck.Sure you'll lose quality, but I think it would work. Has anyone tried this??

·
Registered
13 Posts
audio from potable

I've been looking into the portables myself, it would look nice right on the dash. I bet if you got one of the cords with a cassette on one end and the headphone plug on the other it would play the DVD audio. Just like playing a portable CD through a cassette deckSure you'll lose quality, but I think it would work. Has anyone tried this??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: audio from potable

schlegdog13 said:
I've been looking into the portables myself, it would look nice right on the dash. I bet if you got one of the cords with a cassette on one end and the headphone plug on the other it would play the DVD audio. Just like playing a portable CD through a cassette deckSure you'll lose quality, but I think it would work. Has anyone tried this??
A better and cleaner solution for getting audio to the head unit is to use an FM modulator. The unit goes in line with the antenna feed and esentially feeds the audio over a preset FM channel. Simply set you radio to the station and viola! sound. On some of my first "older" cars I used the tape adapter method but the wire hanging out of the mounth of the tape deck irritated me. Then I discovered the modulator. Ahhhh! Very clean. You can get em from Radio Shack and stores like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts