Nissan Murano Forum banner

241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Anything is possible. But given my 40 years + experience working with electrical equipment I will only say - a lot of BS

·
Registered
433 Posts
I haven't read through all the threads, so forgive me if this is a repost. If you haven't received your letter yet, you can go to the Nissan site (http://www.nissanusa.com/form/0,,action-NRecallPublicLanding_sctid-51054,00.html) and do a search on your vehicle (you need to know your vin) to determine if your MO is affected by the recall.

Luckily, mine made the cut and is not affected....:2:

Now that doesn't mean my car won't blow up because of user error or my CVT won't die....:1:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Still haven't received my letter in the mail. I just took mine into the dealer and told them I heard about it on the Nissan owner's website (which will show up in your recalls in you are registered with your VIN). They looked up the VIN and confirmed, so you don't need the recall letter to get it fixed. Took the better part of a day to fix it though. Something about letting it cool before working on it. Oh well, hopefully it's fixed now and I don't have to worry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hilbe said:
I dropped my Nissan off Friday at the dealer at 12:00pm and had a call that it was completed around 3:00pm. I picked it up around 4:00pm and was driving it home when I notice the temperature in the car wasn't cooling off. I knew the compressor was engaged, since the engine felt a little slugish when I pushed AC the button. So I took the Murano back and they immediately took it up on the lift. The service rep asks me if the AC had been working previously and I of course said yes, since it has been hot here recently. He said some wire to the AC had been corroded and all the insulation was missing around it. He said that they'd order me the part. My first impression is he was looking for an easy excuse for the AC not working. I mean, I drive in the AC works and I drive out the AC doesn't work. This is a 2004 SL AWD model I got in January, and I haven't used the AC until the last 2 or 3 months. I didn't think this was a plausable reason for the AC to just suddenly stop working. I was told they'd get the part Tuesday and I could possibly get it fixed then...
Could be a sloppy repair, but I had something very odd happen similar to that without it being the dealer. One night at the Olive Garden we came out from eating and the car wouldn't crank at all. Battery was fine, nothing else wrong, just wouldn't crank. Ended up one of the starter wires had backed out of the terminal somehow. Only thing I can assume is that it was installed wrong at the factory. Hard to tell, but definitely weird.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having trouble signing in with my other screen name (OGzMurano) so I had to create this one.

First thing- I want to thank this forum and Fresh Alloy for all the information that is posted on these sites.

For the last two years I have been reading about the alternator problem and was wondering if I would ever encounter it. Well......it did....last night. (9/22/05). (My Murano was purchased in April of '03 and has 23K miles.)

Last night, I was picking up my son from a football game. (Thank goodness the school is only 5 blocks away.)

After I loaded up his equipment, I turned the car on and the BATTERY and BRAKE LIGHTS were ON. Because of this forum, I immediately knew what the problem was. ALTERNATOR!!!!

I went home.....parked it.... then jumped on the forums and got all the info I would need. I also went to Nissan's site and printed out the recall inforamtion as well as registered my car through them.

The dealer I purchased my car from is 8 miles from my home so I called two other dealers that were closer to me. Both told me that it would be a week before they could see me.
:eek: So then I called the original dealer I bought the "M" from and they told me to bring it in.

I made it the 8 miles and even at that point it didn't feel like it was going to die but I knew it would......... soon.

I talked to the service manager and he knew exactly what the problem was and said "we'll take care of this." He also said it would be between 2-3 hours.:2: While they were at it, I told them to change the oil and air filter.

Service report.

"BODY ELECTRICAL"
"CUST STATES BATTERY AND BRAKE LIGHT ON"
"PERFORMED RECALL P5215"

1.)Alternator assembly: 2310M-CN10AR
2.)Gasket-cock: 21481-18000 <-- no jokes..you clowns

They also checked for any other recalls and I believe there was one more for the shift indicator.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY satisfied with my dealers service department and I made sure the manager knew that.

I am so lucky that this did not happen on a road trip.

Good luck to the rest of you of haven't experienced this issue yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. I recieved the recall notice for my 04 at the end of Aug just b4 going on vacation. Drove down to the NJ shore for vac, made an appt with a dealer down there, broght it in , they replaced alt all is good with the world!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bad alternator

I had the problem with my 03 SE within 6 months of purchase. Scary to have your vehicle quit on you on the road. It started sporadically and got worse. I made it within walking distance from home before it died completely.

Dealer replaced with no questions asked. Smooth sailing since then.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got the recall notice sometime this fall.
I dropped off the MO at my dealer (North Coast Nissan) on Dec. 20 to get the new alternator. My MO is a 2004 with 10,900 miles on it.
They did the replacement in 1.5 hours (per the service order).
Got the car back and everything worked; not a mark on her.
I was happy.

RickM46

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Excellent!!!

That's how it should be. :4: No fuss. No muss.

-njjoe

·
4,664 Posts
I never did get mine changed. After waiting for parts for ages, I finally replaced the part between the licence plates. They called two weeks after I had traded it in to tell me the parts were in.

As a contrast, my Mopar parts for things I wanted to add in the vehicle (normally factory options), came in 4 days, with an apology that it wasn't 3.

Nissan: Great vehicle. Disgusting service.

·
Registered
23 Posts
HELP !!!

It happened AGAIN !!!

This morning, 2nd altenator !
1st one was replaced under warranty, less than 5,000 mile ago... I am right under 20,000 miles, and it went out on me in my garage !!!
Will Nissan pay for the tow??

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
all4me said:
HELP !!!

It happened AGAIN !!!

This morning, 2nd altenator !
1st one was replaced under warranty, less than 5,000 mile ago... I am right under 20,000 miles, and it went out on me in my garage !!!
Will Nissan pay for the tow??
Yes Nissan will pay for the tow if you under warranty (which appears that you are).

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
If the second failed alternator is the "faulty" one that has been recalled, Nissan should pay for the tow even if you are out of warranty. Call Nissan directly if dealer refuses to pick-up the tab.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
All4me-

Was the first alternator replaced under the Recall Program? If the alternator was replaced prior to the Recall you most likely received the "old-style" alternator.

With all the attention the alternators have received, you should have no problem having the dealer pick up the towing charges.

-njjoe

·
Registered
443 Posts
Second failure

I'm posting this from my dealer (thanks for free wireless internet Serramonte Nissan).

I had the alternator replaced under the recall shortly after it was announced maybe 9 months ago (?). Yesterday, I started hearing a mechanical grinding noise. Thought it was a loose heat shield but couldn't localize it.

Brought the MO in this AM for a look. Best part was, after I parked it at the service entrance the car wouldn't start any more!!! That's a customer's wet dream. (usually you bring it in and it's 'cannot reproduce problem')

Alternator has failed. This time it is an internal bearing that failed. They were able to get a part and I'll just take a day off and surf the net here.

A bearing failure could be a defective part but it could also be a bad install with an overtight belt for example.

In any case, I think the MO has outlived it's welcome for me. I just don't have time to spare to be troubleshooting it or dropping it off at the dealer, even under warranty. I'm thinking of going back to a sedan again to save some on gas, either an IS or a TL, but it won't be a Nissan product for a while.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Good luck with your next car.
I would do the same thing.

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
Good luck.

I do not blame you. I am thinking same. Still have 2 years t go.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Halo from [url]http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=81473[/url] said:
I got mine done today and the seatbelt fix. I received the notice exactly 2 days after I was in for my 4th alternator (OK, just a bearing this time, not the entire unit).
4th alternator?

241 - 260 of 288 Posts
About this Discussion
287 Replies
91 Participants
Jim C
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing