Nissan Murano Forum banner

261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
I am a new second-owner of a used 2004 SL AWD Murano (19,600 km mileage) in Toronto Canada.

I just bought it 2 weeks ago.

My basic 3Y/60K warranty is expired not because of the mileage but because the in-service date (original owner) was Dec 2003

Only my Powertrain warranty till 2008 is still in-effect.

I registered with Nissan Canada and they transferred the warranty in my name.

My questions are;

- Do I received any notifications of any past recalls? How do I know or may know if these recalls were already done to my MO.

- Granted that they have not been yet, do I need to have it done even though the car is perfectly running without any issues?

- Shall I buy the Added Security Plan (Platinum protection warranty) for $2300 Canadian dollars which would provide me a 3-year basic warranty till 2010.

Thank you in advance for any information you may provide. Much appreciated !!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
nipsirc said:
I am a new second-owner of a used 2004 SL AWD Murano (19,600 km mileage) in Toronto Canada.

I just bought it 2 weeks ago.

My basic 3Y/60K warranty is expired not because of the mileage but because the in-service date (original owner) was Dec 2003

Only my Powertrain warranty till 2008 is still in-effect.

I registered with Nissan Canada and they transferred the warranty in my name.

My questions are;

- Do I received any notifications of any past recalls? How do I know or may know if these recalls were already done to my MO.

- Granted that they have not been yet, do I need to have it done even though the car is perfectly running without any issues?

- Shall I buy the Added Security Plan (Platinum protection warranty) for $2300 Canadian dollars which would provide me a 3-year basic warranty till 2010.

Thank you in advance for any information you may provide. Much appreciated !!!
If you give the dealer your VIN#, they can run your vehicle record to find if the alternator recall was performed. If it hasn't been done yet, get it taken care of (recalls are free).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Thanks Eric

Today I called Nissan Canada and check with them if my Murano's VIN and inquire if there are any outstanding recalls yet to be done. Nothing was showing on their database so they said it has been done before.

I also went to a local Nissan dealer and did the same thing and they said the same thing.

Just wondering if this is the case. If there's nothing showing on their DB, that means it has been fixed?

Can anyone provide me with the actual picture or point/describe them to me, of the parts recall and fixed so I can visually determine if mine had been done.

Don't need the details on the alternator but would like to know about the passenger seat belt and the gas tank shield part.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
You can find the actual recall notices (with pictures) at the following website:

www.nissanhelp.com

Hope that was what you were looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Eric

Thank you very much again for your help.

That link was exactly what I needed/wanted.

Much appreciated buddy !


Cris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Good job guys , that's what we are all about here .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,665 Posts
nipsirc-

If you bought the MO from a private seller you can always ask them for the service order or find out where they had the car serviced. The dealer should then be able to produce the repair order showing the part number for the upgraded alternator.

-njjoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,665 Posts
Re: Out of Topic Inquiry

nipsirc said:
The footbrake on my Murano is so soft. When I apply it, there's no counter- pressure or any play. Just goes down without any resistance.

Is this the way it suppose to be?

The reason I asked this is that on my other 2006 Nissan Quest, the footbrake is stiff and need the good push before it engages. On the Murano, it is exactly the opposite.

If this is not supposed to be the case on the Murano, what measures or check should I do?

Any input is very much appreciated....
Nip-

Does this have anything at all to do with the alternator recall? Why would you even post it here?

Does the parking brake engage? If not, then it obviously needs adjustment.

-njjoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Mine died today. Never got recall notices in the mail.

I thought "Odd, why is the battery *and* brake light on? Must be an fluke."

Sure enough, almost exactly an hour later. Boom. Fail safe mode.

Got it towed to the dealership.

:-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Need help with alternator problem

Hi All,

I browsed through this thread and couldn't find an answer to my problem. If this sort of question was answered please accept my apology and I would appreciate it if you can direct me to an answer.

Here is my problem:

Vehicle: '04 Murano 2 wheel drive
Ownership: Leased on 4/8/04
current milage: approx 37.5K

This last Thurs (4/12) I have experienced the exact symptoms that are mentioned here about the alternator issue.
I had the car towed to the dealer and was told that the alternator needs to be replaced and that the cost is $650.00.
The original alternator was replaced due to the recall just a little over 12 months ago (it was replaced with the correct part number posted on this thread).
As you can see, the vehicle is about 1500 miles and about a week past the manufacturer's warranty.
I contacted NNA on Friday and was told that the only thing they can offer is a "good will" fix but the regional service manager will have to decide and will call me back in 2-3 days.

Has anyone encountered this before? To me it is pretty obvious that since I have experienced the EXACT symptoms that were mentioned here, The only explanation is that the new alternator is just as faulty as the old one...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,665 Posts
Re: Need help with alternator problem

shlomi said:
Has anyone encountered this before? To me it is pretty obvious that since I have experienced the EXACT symptoms that were mentioned here, The only explanation is that the new alternator is just as faulty as the old one...
shlomi-

The symptoms you experienced are typical of all alternator failures. When the alternator fails it stops producing electricity and the car will run on battery power only until the voltage drops too low to operate the vehicle. It is very possible that your alternator simply failed due to component failure and not poor design.

-njjoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
my alternator just failed. It started to feel hesistant during idle and on freeway driving. When i got off the freeway and came to a stop, that's where the engine died. I can start it up fine but the engine will hesistate and wont go anywhere. I had to get it towed but the nissan dealership is closed and locked the gates as well. I had to drop it off at a close by parking lot. does nissan reimburse towing fee's if it's still under waranty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,665 Posts
lilazndemon20 said:
my alternator just failed. It started to feel hesistant during idle and on freeway driving. When i got off the freeway and came to a stop, that's where the engine died. I can start it up fine but the engine will hesistate and wont go anywhere.
lilazndemon20-

No, that does not sound like alternator failure to me. If it were an alternator failure that caused your MO to die when you got off the highway, the battery would have discharged to the point that it would have been unable to restart the engine.

It could be the fuel pump, engine management system, etc.

Let us know what the dealer says.

-njjoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
No Recall notice but alternator failed.

04 SL bought in Feb 2004. Currently out of warranty.

Yesterday I got the dreaded brake+battery light both on, while I was in the middle of a highway 30 miles from home. Luckily I was able to make it back home without a problem.

I never received a recall notice and was hoping (I know wishful thinking right?) that I was not affected by the alternator defect. I called the dealer to make an appointment and they ran the VIN in the nissan database and it came up with "no outstanding recalls".

I was then told that I will have to pay out of my own pocket for the alternator repair. I was also told that I would have to take it up with Nissan Corporate if I wanted it repaired under recall. Anybody else have a similar issue? Any suggestions on how to get it fixed under recall?

thanks in advance,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Re: No Recall notice but alternator failed.

Start the process with Nissan Corporate - they are the only ones who can approve the repair if the dealer refuses. You can search for the recall notice on this forum and check to see if your VIN falls within the range of the recalled vehicles, just to doublecheck the dealer's claim.

zeddic said:
04 SL bought in Feb 2004. Currently out of warranty.

Yesterday I got the dreaded brake+battery light both on, while I was in the middle of a highway 30 miles from home. Luckily I was able to make it back home without a problem.

I never received a recall notice and was hoping (I know wishful thinking right?) that I was not affected by the alternator defect. I called the dealer to make an appointment and they ran the VIN in the nissan database and it came up with "no outstanding recalls".

I was then told that I will have to pay out of my own pocket for the alternator repair. I was also told that I would have to take it up with Nissan Corporate if I wanted it repaired under recall. Anybody else have a similar issue? Any suggestions on how to get it fixed under recall?

thanks in advance,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Re: Re: No Recall notice but alternator failed.

Eric L. said:
Start the process with Nissan Corporate - they are the only ones who can approve the repair if the dealer refuses. You can search for the recall notice on this forum and check to see if your VIN falls within the range of the recalled vehicles, just to doublecheck the dealer's claim.

Well according to shappy0869's original post:

2004 MY - AWD: JN8AZ08W*4W300006-343525

I double checked my vin and it definitely does fall into that range! Now how do I get an official looking document that has the VIN ranges and show it to my dealer/nissan?

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and suggestion Eric L!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Re: Re: Re: No Recall notice but alternator failed.

zeddic said:


Well according to shappy0869's original post:

2004 MY - AWD: JN8AZ08W*4W300006-343525

I double checked my vin and it definitely does fall into that range! Now how do I get an official looking document that has the VIN ranges and show it to my dealer/nissan?

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and suggestion Eric L!
I think the PDF is on this website somewhere - alternatively you can download it from www.nissanhelp.com

I would imagine if you just report this information to Nissan corporate, they would immediately approve your alternator repair. Strike one for your dishonest dealer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: No Recall notice but alternator failed.

Eric L. said:


I think the PDF is on this website somewhere - alternatively you can download it from www.nissanhelp.com

I would imagine if you just report this information to Nissan corporate, they would immediately approve your alternator repair. Strike one for your dishonest dealer!
Speaking of dishonest dealer, this isn't the first time, a year ago when I brought the MO in for routine maintenance service they found that the brake rotors had rusted thru and was not repairable. They told me the rotors needed to be replaced and it would cost $900ish and would be out of pocket and not covered under warranty because it was "regular wear and tear". After talking to some friends of mine who convinced me that brake rotors are not supposed to rust nor have to be replaced after only 20k miles. I ended up arguing with the "service manager" for 10 minutes or so before they capitulated and agreed to fix the problem under warranty. I really really have tried to avoid going there again but they're the only one reasonably close :(.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
The alternator on my 2004 Murano went out while driving down the freeway two nights ago. I Googled and found this site and the helpful information about the recall. Called Nissan and they said that this recall campaign was already performed on my vehicle on July 21, 2005 and I would have to pay to have it fixed.

So are they correct? "If" they replaced the original alternator with a different one in 2005, am I responsible from that point forward if the same part breaks? I am awaiting a call from a regional district Nissan representative.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,619 Posts
As far as I know, yes, you are. The recall finishes their obligation.

Realize that alternators are perishable, like starters and brakes - they do wear out in normal use.
 
261 - 280 of 288 Posts
About this Discussion
287 Replies
91 Participants
Jim C
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top