Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do?

Yesterday I was quoted $29102 for a 2003 Mo with Premium and Leather packages. This works out to be about $850 below invoice.
Only thing is, they don't have the color/package I want in a 2003.

I never considered the FX35 as an option simply becuse it was over my budget or so I thought. On a whim I decided to see an Infiniti rep and I was very surprised to find the pricing on the 2003 FX35 very comparable to the price I was quoted in the Mo. In the case for a base FX35, I was quoted $28836 which is about $2670 below invoice and of course lower in price than the Mo albeit not as well equipped.

I'm torn... a very well equipped Mo (which will probably need to be a 2004 if I stick to my color preference and will most likely be an even higher price) or a moderately equipped 2003 FX35 (even though it is a base model).

...I love the styling of the FX35 and there is definitely more "oooh awww" factor with it but the Mo lends itself to more of the practical side (still with it's own unque styling). The Mo doesn't feel as crampped and is more comfortable especially if you are a big guy. There is more visibility in the Mo and has better gas mileage especially in city driving which is 90% of what I do. And in this case more cool features like volume control on the steering wheel, power adjustable foot pedals, sunroof, and homelink.

...But then again, the FX35 offers a better (longer) warranty package, better service (No wait service, a G35 as a loaner while the FX35 is being serviced), free car washes for life of the car, AND at a lower price than the Mo. and did I mention oooh awww factor?

...But the Mo is just better all around... Oh the excitement in the anticipation... decisions, decions need to be made (but I'll reserve that decison until I get in the 2004 Mo that I want).:4:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Was the FX a true "base" model, i.e. no premium package = no leather, etc.? If so, that would explain the huge discount, b/c who would want a "luxury" car without leather, sunroof, and other amenities?

Additionally, is it an FX with AWD?

If it IS an FX AWD with the premium package, HOP ON IT! I wouldn't let it pass me by...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SHINDIG said:
Was the FX a true "base" model, i.e. no premium package = no leather, etc.? If so, that would explain the huge discount, b/c who would want a "luxury" car without leather, sunroof, and other amenities?

Additionally, is it an FX with AWD?

If it IS an FX AWD with the premium package, HOP ON IT! I wouldn't let it pass me by...
The FX35 is a base model RWD... If I could get it in the premium package, it would have cost about $2k more than the Mo... they don't have any in stock w/ prem. but did quote me on the base model. Surprisingly though, the base FX35 is pretty well equipped but as you mentioned, I'd prefer to have the leather, sunroof, and other amenities included... which is why I'm leaning more to the Mo. (as well as the obvious other reasons... more space, better fuel economy, etc.) But the FX35 styling sure is beautiful though... say it with me oooh awwww!:p

·
Registered
65 Posts
With this particular FX, you have a "luxury SUV" that is not luxurious or SUV? :confused:

I am surprised leather is not standard on a base model of a premium brand. To me it does not feel premium without hide!

The utility is somewhat diminished by the RWD and smaller space and the CVT is a plus over the 35 for me, but regardless, other than the bionic cheetah sheetmetal the MO is the better value between these two.

If you are smitten by the looks of the FX over the Murano, maybe you can find a comparable FX value within 100 miles or so with either leather package OR AWD??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Other than the Navigation system (a $10k option on the FX), most of the options on an MO come standard on the FX.

I almost bought an FX also, but I really wanted a DVD Navigation system, and only the MO had it for under $2k. On the FX it made the it jump up WAY to high (another $10k). And I could care less about starting my car with my remote control (which is why it cost $10k more to get the Nav).

Also... Just so you know, the reason they are so willing to sell you a base FX35 with no major upgrades and options, is because the can't move them. Most people, who can afford an Infinity, usually want every bell and whistle available. And most people who can't afford Infinity, have no idea that an FX base model can be had for that price.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I may be the odd ball around here (well, probably not), but I like the MO much more than the FX.

1) Other than the happy-face grille on the MO, I like the MO exterior better than the FX. In some colors the grille is less noticeable than others.

2) The MO has more interior room. What in the heck were they thinking when the designed the FX?

3) I LOVE the CVT transmission. This alone makes the FX a non-starter for me.

4) I prefer the upscale interior of the FX over the utilitarian interior of the MO. But this alone does not out weigh the other advantages of the MO.

5) The mileage of the MO puts it in a class all by it's self.

I am not a MO owner trying to justify my decision. I am a perspective buyer who could easily afford either, but who prefers to get the most bang for the buck in everything I buy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well said Red... Like you , I always look at the total package. Although I do like the look of the FX35, the Mo w/ leather package definitely wins hands down for overall value which is why I will go with the 2004 Mo when it comes in the color and specs I want. (Hope I can wait another week or two.):4:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Redbear and My1Mo

Buy the MO.

I think My_1_Mo is thinking out loud and already knows in his heart of hearts that he'd rather have the MO. I went through everything you guys are going through, and I chose MO.

I suspect that you both will also.

It will be a good thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: Redbear and My1Mo

It will be a good thing. [/B][/QUOTE]

It sure will. My_1_MO As has been stated, it really sounds like you know your destiny. Wait a little and get what you really want. When it comes down to it having the stripped Infiniti will be fun for a little while, but when you're riding around in it a few months down the road and the newness has worn off, you may rethink your decision. I personally always need to love the interior of the car and the comfort and convenience because that is what is really going to matter, not a really hot front fascia... Good luck, it's not an easy decision. I went through the exact same thing in February, and 7 months, 22,000 miles later I am SO happy I made the right decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts