Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas what this might be ?

This only happens when the car is in drive and gas is accelerated. The car does this even if its not in motion.

·
Super Moderator
7,784 Posts
That doesn't sound like exhaust noise via a bad gasket or crack - it's intermittent.

Sounds mechanical to me. I suggest using a long screwdriver (with the handle end pressed to your ear) or auto stethoscope to listen to various points on the engine while it's making the noise. If you can localize it that will help with diagnosis.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you think its the timing chain ? It only happens though when in drive and gas given. Would the timing chain do it even in park ?

That doesn't sound like exhaust noise via a bad gasket or crack - it's intermittent.

Sounds mechanical to me. I suggest using a long screwdriver (with the handle end pressed to your ear) or auto stethoscope to listen to various points on the engine while it's making the noise. If you can localize it that will help with diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
7,784 Posts
I don't think anything specifically until you have more information. If you try the trick I suggested above, you will be able to listen to various parts of the engine and see if you can localize the noise. That would help.

Engine parts only make noise when they run, and in many cases it doesn't matter whether the car is moving or not. A timing chain obviously is in operation at all times when the engine is running.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think anything specifically until you have more information. If you try the trick I suggested above, you will be able to listen to various parts of the engine and see if you can localize the noise. That would help.

Engine parts only make noise when they run, and in many cases it doesn't matter whether the car is moving or not. A timing chain obviously is in operation at all times when the engine is running.
Hmm not sure if I would be able to do the trick since it only makes that noise when the car is in Drive and gas is given. not sure if I want to stick my head into an engine while its in gear and someone giving it gas lol .

The noise only comes on while the car is in Gear on drive (have not tried reverse) over a 10 mph. It does not happen if its in neutral giving it gas even going down hill, it does not make the noise when parked in idle nor parked when engine revved.

·
Super Moderator
7,784 Posts
If it happens when the car is not in motion, you can diagnose it. I don't see a problem if the parking brake is on AND the person giving it gas has their foot vigorously planted on the foot brake. The car can't go anywhere.

But if that bothers you, then it's time to take it to a good shop and let them diagnose it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it happens when the car is not in motion, you can diagnose it. I don't see a problem if the parking brake is on AND the person giving it gas has their foot vigorously planted on the foot brake. The car can't go anywhere.

But if that bothers you, then it's time to take it to a good shop and let them diagnose it.
any idea what would cause something to rattle only when the car is in drive and accelerated though ? just some things that cause that issue ?

·
Super Moderator
7,784 Posts
My guess is either something loose or that you have a bad engine mount and the engine is moving under load and causing the sound in some connected part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess is either something loose or that you have a bad engine mount and the engine is moving under load and causing the sound in some connected part.
I got my oil changed and the noise does not happen if the car is no longer moving in gear with brake down but it still sounds the same when driving . So, I am not sure if the recording I made was related to the sound the car makes when driving.

I made another video of driving and the noise only happening when I give it gas.

Do you think this could be exhaust issue ?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just throwing this out there. Could the clicking noise = engine knock? The reason why I say this is because when I had a bad MAF sensor (debris somehow got lodged in the sensor and threw the reading off) which caused the engine to run lean, I got that clicking/ticking noise when the MO was moving in gear. I thought it was coming from the exhaust area. I took it to a Nissan mechanic, he cleaned the MAF sensor and the noise stopped immediately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just throwing this out there. Could the clicking noise = engine knock? The reason why I say this is because when I had a bad MAF sensor (debris somehow got lodged in the sensor and threw the reading off) which caused the engine to run lean, I got that clicking/ticking noise when the MO was moving in gear. I thought it was coming from the exhaust area. I took it to a Nissan mechanic, he cleaned the MAF sensor and the noise stopped immediately.

Did you try revving your engine in neutral or park to see if the MO made that clicking noise ? My only creates the noise when in gear and moving .

I just changed my MAF sensor in my jeep and my car did not run well when it was dirty and made more of a clacking noise, like it was a diesel engine. This sounds more like a baseball card in bicycle spokes. If anyone knows what that sounds.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry I can't remember if mine had the noise when car was in neutral or park, it happened a while ago when I was on a road trip and didn't have a lot of time to diagnose it. Did you MO throw a code that can be read? Mine did and it was related to lean running condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts