Nissan Murano Forum banner

2003 Murano likely to have a rusted subframe?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  TomOmon 
#1 ·
Hello All.

I'm in the market to buy a 2003 Murano SL AWD with 181k miles but in the rust belt of Minnesota.
I read that 2004 Murano's often have a rusty subframe due to the AC dumping water on the passenger side, closest to the windshield.
Does that affect 2003's also?
Is there a good way to visually identify whether it is indeed a problem for a specific car?
Thank you!

#2 ·
Reactions: TrustyAutos
#5 ·
Thanks for putting that in perspective Wolfgang!

My (potentially flawed) rule of thumb is:
Cost of car + maintenance is $100-125/month for SUV class ($1200-1500 a year)
So IF I could get one for $1000-1200 and was going to keep it for a year and could get away with $200-500 in parts ... it would be worth it

Sadly the one I'm looking at is $2200 and I doubt they'd go that low

#8 ·
From the only reliable source of information on the web, Wikipedia - ""Rust Belt" is a derogatory term for an informal region of the United States that experienced industrial decline starting around 1980. It is made up mostly of places in the Midwest and Great Lakes, though definitions vary. Rust refers to the deindustrialization, or economic decline, population loss, and urban decay due to the shrinking of its once-powerful industrial sector. The term gained popularity in the U.S. in the 1980s."

Just want to throw this out there, Rust Belt isn't a place where cars rust more, it's more of a political term from my understanding. It is also my understanding that cars will rust more anywhere near salt water (naturally the coasts) and where streets are salted after snowfall. The Great Lakes aren't very saline but MN does get a lot of snow.

FWIW my '04 Murano has spent it's life next to the ocean in 1/2 snowy Rhode Island 6 years and 9 years in San Diego. No visible rust. I think you just need to have it inspected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.