Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Murano with 100K (about 65k miles) It has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Recently I saw the service engine soon light come on. After a couple of days I realized that it was not just the gas cap being loose

With the instructions on this site I red the code and it seems to be 0420

Does anyone know what this code is or where I can find a list of codes.

Thanks
IZ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just thought I would post and update on this

My one catalytic converter is bad and causing the problem. Apparelntly the dealer has replaced a bunch of these lately.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
842 Posts
What was the cost of replacing the catalytic converter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my repaire was covered under warrantee..... But i was surprized what it would of cost

$1836 Cdn before tax......

If it wasn't covered I would of cleared the SES light and traded the MO.

IZ

·
Registered
842 Posts
zedman said:
Well my repaire was covered under warrantee..... But i was surprized what it would of cost

$1836 Cdn before tax......

If it wasn't covered I would of cleared the SES light and traded the MO.

IZ
Ouch, I agree with your plan and would do the same, Thanks

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Ouch! My car just passed out of the emissions warranty, so I'm completely on my own now if anything happens.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
Ouch! My car just passed out of the emissions warranty, so I'm completely on my own now if anything happens.
Really?
Are you aware that the catalytic, and some other specific parts, are warranteed for 8 years, 80,000 miles?

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
The following is from the Nissan Warranty Information Booklet:

-njjoe

Attachments

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Yes. Emissions warranty in Canada is 130,000km. I have over 133,000km now :)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Tyler_Canada-

I would never return to the dealer if I was out of warranty. I have found that local, reputable mechanics provide better service and are more inexpensive than dealerships. When the cats failed on my Jeep GC and Ford LTD I remember calling the dealers for price and availability and being shocked by their responses. In both cases I went to the local Mieneke Muffler shops and they replaced the cats for less than half what the dealer was asking.

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Depending on the parts, I agree.

I use Midas for all exhaust work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ses code 0420

I have an 05 murano with 127971km on it and I am getting ses 0420 is that always the cat converter and am I truely covered by warrenty to 130000km. J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think the warantee wend to 130k..... I miss my Murano, it was the best vehicle i have ever owned. if it is error 420 the dealer should cover it if you are within the warrantee period. Good luck....

bye bye GM hello Nissan again....

IZ

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im getting SES P0420. I've been searching to figure out which catalytic converter needs to be replaced, some said front and some said rear, dealer said all 3, but I refuse to believe the dealer. Can someone please confirm which one it is, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
P0420 Bank 1 Catalytic Converter

P0430 Bank 2 Catalytic Converter

A typical V style engine is split into 2 banks, one each side of the engine. On the Nissan VQ series engines, the 1st bank is the passenger side on a RWD vehicle and the rear (firewall side) on a FWD vehicle.

So bank 1 cat on our vehicles would be the cat that bolts to the rear bank's exhaust manifold (between the engine and firewall).

What some of the confusion might be is this: the Muranos use 1 cat on each bank plus a 3rd in the exhaust header pipe (y-pipe) in the middle of the car. Since the 3rd cat is so far downstream in the exhaust, most folks would call this a "rear cat" since its AFTER the first cats. So this would make both the other cats "front cats". It all depends on whos telling you what.

In plain english, the code is for a FRONT cat but its the bank 1 cat so its actually behind the engine. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It depends. IMO this is the most difficult one to do especially if you don't have a shop lift and you have an awd. The toughest part is the cat pretty much just bolts onto the exhaust manifold with 2 bolts from the bottom and 2 nuts from the top. The two lower bolts are easy (if they're not rusted on) but the two upper nuts are a pain sometimes. You gotta move the exhaust manifold head sheild up out of the way to access those nuts. There's 3 small 10mm bolts that hold the sheild on and an air/fuel sensor the goes between the sheild that you can leave in place just be careful not to cut the wiring.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
LOL...when I saw this post I immediately thought "4:20PM". It may simply be if your MO throws a 0420 code it wants some weed! :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts