Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a used 2003 with only 18,500 miles on it. What should I be aware of with these vehicles, Is there any major problems to look out for or insist that are updated before my purchase from the dealer. I am very impressed with this on and the low miles makes me happy and it is LOADED.
Please help me out with any concerns I should watch out for...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Fennz said:
I am looking at a used 2003 with only 18,500 miles on it. What should I be aware of with these vehicles, Is there any major problems to look out for or insist that are updated before my purchase from the dealer. I am very impressed with this on and the low miles makes me happy and it is LOADED.
Please help me out with any concerns I should watch out for...
You should make sure that the alternator has been check out and replaced as per the safety recall. Other than that I bought a 03 murano SL in Feb 04 and have enjoyed driving it from the the start.

You should search this website has it has a mountain of info that you will probably want look at. Good Luck :2: :2:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sounds great, but can you find out why it was turned in with such low miles on it?

Check out the problems forum for known issues, but take it with a grain of salt. Some may apply and some may not. Might be nice for you to know what some of the major issues have been. Don't get discouraged reading them though.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Read the "Problems" Thread very carefully. Just about all Murano issues have been listed there. Good luck!

·
4,601 Posts
Check the transfer case is not leaking. If it's AWD, that is. If the AWD switch is a rocker, instead of momentary contact (rocking push button that doesn't stay in place) it's not been upgraded.

Look (listen) for a squeaky seat and rattles and have those resolved.

Look for smudge marks on the drivers door window (regulator adjustment).

You'll need a harness if you want to install sattelite radio.

Take it for a test drive and while coasting, rapidly turn the wheels back and forth (big weave in an empty parking lot) and see if the steering stiffening up, bugs you. The power steering pump was upgraded in '05. You can make this happen even more by putting it in neutral so the engine revs drop.

Check the visor clips to make sure they're not loose.

Stuff that comes to mind...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I would also go to

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Murano/Year.htm

And print out the TSB summaries for the 03 and check the car for these problems.
These are not everything that can go wrong with the car of course, but they are some of the most common problems.

The loose steering rack is the one that I would vote as the MOST common single issue.
The most common Multi Issue would be the "Ticks" and Noises" coming from various areas of the car (A pillar, B pillar, Dash, etc.....)

The likelihood is high that you will have one or some of these problems.
The likelihood that you have many or all is infinitesimal.

Adjustments are covered for 12 Mos so you would have to pay for alignments, etc
Most problems are covered for 3 years (36K) so if you have one of these problems there should be no problem getting the TSB or repair performed.
And if this is the servicing dealer, there should be a record of any TSBs or Recalls performed.
The Powertrain is covered for 5 years (60K).

Homer

·
4,601 Posts
Actually, that's the best idea yet! It's an '05, extremely well taken care of, and toys galore!

I'd say, it's worth borrowing more cash, just to get it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grippers MO? I will look in the for sale area...I really need a Sunlit Copper one, I will look to see what it is. thanks. They are not making the Copper in 06.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Guys

Grippers sounds really nice, no doubt, but I am set on the AWD, I drive in Snow all the time as well as offroad (hunting) and towing some with it too, and for the wife, orange is all she wants. I was told the 03 was sold this morning, so I still looking, thanks for all your help though.

·
4,601 Posts
No Copper in 06? What? Have they gone mad??? The '05 would be your best deal and find one with the navigation in it, if you can.

Although at this point, I find it highly unlikely that anyone who had such a configuration would want to part with it...

·
Registered
104 Posts
We purchased our 2003 new and have had only the rattle in windows problem. I did have the alternator recall done. We have loved owning this car. We have about 20,000 miles on ours with no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a well cared for 2003 if I got a good deal on it. These cars seem to be holding their value very well, at least here in south central PA. The used dealers are listing them with 30-40K miles for almost what I paid for mine.

·
4,601 Posts
I'll have my 2003 in for service this week...

Leaking transmission or transfer case (again, still, haven't looked, but my driveway sure reminds me with the spots), I'll get an oil change and finally get the alternator done.

Yup, still on the original, prone to fail alternator.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts