Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Nissan Murano SL with 135 miles. Just recently the transmission when driven atlow RPM seems out of place causing a jerking motion. The car was owned by a family member and nowmy kids are driving it so I don’t have a history with the car other than I knowthe transmission fluid was never changed. The car is in good shape but because of its age it’s not worth allot soI am on the fence with putting allot of money into it. If it was reasonable I would fix it otherwiseI probably will not.

Just a note, we have had the car (about 8 months) we havenoticed a little drip of black oil under the radiator. I just figured it was oil and made certainthe oil was topped off. Could it betransmission fluid?

Has anybody experienced this in the past and do you have anyrecommendations? Is there a way to evencheck the transmission fluid? Lastly, Idon’t have a relationship with a garage who services Nissan in the Minneapolis areaso if you can recommend one that would be greatly appreciate.

By the way the kids love the car and would like to keep itif possible.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Get the codes read at Auto zone, O'riellys or someplace that does it free. If you have a bad speed/crankshaft sensor, cam sensor or something like that it can make the car buck and shift like the CVT is doomed.
I had to replace the cam and speed sensors (had codes) on my daughters 2005. It shifted crazy had the vcd light coming on.

The sensors fixed it all. That was 2 years ago.

I just got it from her with other problems I'm gonna post about once I get my head around the new problems. 186,000 miles and I think the CVT is still doing good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does the jerking happens all the time or once the car is worm? and I suggest that you check the transmission fluid level.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is there a way to even check the transmission fluid?
Yes ther's a dipstick to the right of the engine - see your manual if you need to. They sell the special type of fluid for a CVT.
On my daughters car when the transmission shifted funny it has been due to an engine issue. So far I;ve been impressed with the CVT. (hope i didn't just jinx it)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes ther's a dipstick to the right of the engine - see your manual if you need to. They sell the special type of fluid for a CVT.
On my daughters car when the transmission shifted funny it has been due to an engine issue. So far I;ve been impressed with the CVT. (hope i didn't just jinx it)
Yes you did. :D:D:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to drop this in here but it sounds like a similar symptom to what I had.

Here's what happened to mine: Over the last month or so, after driving when it's warm it should shudder or jerk a bit at low speed sometimes. Sometimes it would also rev high and not accelerate and I also noticed when driving around 60mph i hit a bump and it was like it dropped from 5th to 4th gear, then after that I stopped at the lights and could barely get it moving again, the engine wouldn't really revv even though I'd push hard on the accel, i'd just sit there. It came right after a little while but then a couple days later it did it again even worse. Then just today it was the worst. It was like the clutch was slipping, I could rev up and down but it wouldn't pull away. I only just got it home and am now waiting to take it to the mechanic. I'm sure the trans has failed and am looking for a 2nd hand one as new will cost more than the cars worth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Turns out after a transmission oil change the transmission issues I was having are gone! Thank GOD!
It's super cold here too so I'm sure that's not helping (-20 - -30c).
Also, my MAF failed completely soon after so that was replaced, along with both cam sensors. That might have helped too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
furfur
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing