Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've watched the YouTube videos, reviewed the posts here and found some great info.
I have a 2003 Murano, SL AWD. Replacing the right CV axle half shaft, wheel hub assembly, and the tie rod ends. I have no problem with any of it except the axle.
I am tempted to find access to a black market and attach some C4 to it. The only downside is that it would be over much to quick.

So the seal that is going into the flange, (the 3-bolt rusted beauty that holds access to the intermediate shaft and helps prevent cross contamination of fluids, blabbity blah blah you already know this) I need that seal!
How do you pull it out and what is the proper part number? I ordered one from Rockauto, yes, it was for a 2003 Murano, it was for the right side and it was for an AWD. I ordered an "Axle Shaft Seal." They offered no picture and what I got doesn't look right.

I am attaching pictures of the HJGTYURFDTYUF%$#^%$DRFTY thing.
I was told to use a seal puller and it will pop right out.
I did.
It didn't.
I was afraid of doing anything more until I spoke with someone with more experience (vs "well blah blah it should do this and my great grandmammy chewed a horses ass...")
Sorry, i am so frustrated with this and talking to one idiot after another has me in a homicidal state of mind. :9:

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ok, so I've watched the YouTube videos, reviewed the posts here and found some great info.
I have a 2003 Murano, SL AWD. Replacing the right CV axle half shaft, wheel hub assembly, and the tie rod ends. I have no problem with any of it except the axle.
I am tempted to find access to a black market and attach some C4 to it. The only downside is that it would be over much to quick.

So the seal that is going into the flange, (the 3-bolt rusted beauty that holds access to the intermediate shaft and helps prevent cross contamination of fluids, blabbity blah blah you already know this) I need that seal!
How do you pull it out and what is the proper part number? I ordered one from Rockauto, yes, it was for a 2003 Murano, it was for the right side and it was for an AWD. I ordered an "Axle Shaft Seal." They offered no picture and what I got doesn't look right.

I did.
It didn't.
I was afraid of doing anything more until I spoke with someone with more experience (vs "well blah blah it should do this and my great grandmammy chewed a horses ass...")
Sorry, i am so frustrated with this and talking to one idiot after another has me in a homicidal state of mind. :9:
I've removed seals like this by drilling two small holes in the flange. Use two small flat headed screws in the drilled holes to pry the old seal out. Just make sure not to score or damage the seat for the seal.

Hope this gives you an idea and solves your dilemma and eases your frustration.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
342 Posts

I did.
It didn't.
You say you're trying to replace a seal, but the pictures you posted look like the RH axle carrier bearing attached to the inboard joint. The dust shield looks all mangled--is that what you're trying to replace?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely! I call it a seal out of ignorance. Wasn't sure the proper name but other images look like a bearing.
And from the service manual, it looks more like the FWD rather than AW.
I am positive it is an AWD.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
There is nothing to remove there. If you pulled out the old right cv axle properly, all you have to do is grease the lock ring/spline a little and insert the new cv shaft in-female end. If you somehow messed up the inside sleeve of that midshaft support thinking its a seal that needs changing then you made your life harder. The seal that needs changing is in the TC end of that open spline shaft. Can you post a pic of the old axle you removed?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Absolutely! I call it a seal out of ignorance. Wasn't sure the proper name but other images look like a bearing.
And from the service manual, it looks more like the FWD rather than AW.
I am positive it is an AWD.
As nitely said, if you're just replacing the outboard joint then no need to mess with that dust shield. Just grease the splines, pop the new outer CV axle in and you're done.

Unfortunately, the dust shield is so damaged now that there's risk of that joint getting contaminated, which may shorten the life of the axle assembly. You might be able to order a replacement dust shield from a dealership, but you may end up doing more bad than good trying to get the dust shield out (e.g. damaging the carrier bearing housing). At this point, and given the age of the car, I suggest you just stuff the joint with fresh grease, pop the new outboard joint in and call it a day. Maybe check it periodically (esp. after winter if they salt the roads in your area).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I finally have time this weekend to mess with it again. But I have another issue. On the intermediate shaft there is a c-clip (AKA circlip, circular clip, part from hell that no parts house has ever heard of). This is on the passenger side.
The clip goes at the END of the intermediate shaft. The female end of the axle half shaft goes over this.
Does that clip have to be replaced?
Do you know a part number?

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
So I finally have time this weekend to mess with it again. But I have another issue. On the intermediate shaft there is a c-clip (AKA circlip, circular clip, part from hell that no parts house has ever heard of). This is on the passenger side.
The clip goes at the END of the intermediate shaft. The female end of the axle half shaft goes over this.

No, not unless it's damaged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

No, not unless it's damaged.
That is tbe best damn news. Thank you!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Help

Guys, I need help. I'm losing my ever-loving mind.
I swear to god I am not an idiot. I have replaced engines and trans, carbs, I've done a lot. Granted, older cars 350's, 289, 327, etc). But not a damn thing on this is going right. Every single step of the way something doesn't go right. Trying to put the new axle half shaft back on. Greased the splines, lined it up, got the axle nut down to the axle bolt, tapped it with the hammer as shown in ever @#% video I've seen. Now the axle nut is stuck and it didn't move a freakin' centimeter.
I haven't tried to remove it with the impact wrench yet. I had to walk away.
I am ready to take my ax to the whole damn car then blow it up.

What is going on????? Why won't it go back on?
Is it the C clip that's preventing it?
I know you don't really know because you aren't here enjoying this POS with me.

I just need to vent to those who understand because I may just junk the whole damn thing. I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Guys, I need help. I'm losing my ever-loving mind.
I swear to god I am not an idiot. I have replaced engines and trans, carbs, I've done a lot. Granted, older cars 350's, 289, 327, etc). But not a damn thing on this is going right. Every single step of the way something doesn't go right. Trying to put the new axle half shaft back on. Greased the splines, lined it up, got the axle nut down to the axle bolt, tapped it with the hammer as shown in ever @#% video I've seen. Now the axle nut is stuck and it didn't move a freakin' centimeter.
I haven't tried to remove it with the impact wrench yet. I had to walk away.
I am ready to take my ax to the whole damn car then blow it up.

What is going on????? Why won't it go back on?
Is it the C clip that's preventing it?
I know you don't really know because you aren't here enjoying this POS with me.

I just need to vent to those who understand because I may just junk the whole damn thing. I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it.

It is the c-clip and you shouldn't have to hammer on it. Try to center the c-clip and use grease to help keep it in place. Insert the axle, make sure it's horizontal and jam it straight in with your hands. If it doesn't go in after a few shoves, rotate the axle 90 degrees and try again--keep repeating this and eventually you'll get it.

On a side note, I don't think the CV joint splines on the 1st gen are keyed/notched in a way that they only go on lined up one way, but check just in case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pics of the POS

Looking at the 1st pic of the outboard joint, it looks there's a wider groove in between two of the splines. Is the inner joint splined the same way (... I can't tell from the pic because of the grease)?
The new one is a Cardone from Rockauto. 28 splines plus 2 blank. According to the description.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It is not. The notes on the new axles, service manual etc. said nothing about that. I'm guessing that's my problem?

Looking on Cardone's website, they have the part # as 66-6246--is that the one you have?

Cardone is in the axle business so my guess is that it should fit. Does the CV shaft slide smoothly onto the inner joint at least until it hits the c-clip? If so, then it should probably work. It is odd that the axle has those blank splines while the OEM doesn't. Not sure why it's made that way except maybe it's also used on other cars where the splines are keyed or something?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is not. The notes on the new axles, service manual etc. said nothing about that. I'm guessing that's my problem?

Looking on Cardone's website, they have the part # as 66-6246--is that the one you have?

Cardone is in the axle business so my guess is that it should fit. Does the CV shaft slide smoothly onto the inner joint at least until it hits the c-clip? If so, then it should probably work. It is odd that the axle has those blank splines while the OEM doesn't. Not sure why it's made that way except maybe it's also used on other cars where the splines are keyed or something?
That's the same part number I have.
It SEEMS to slide on easily, but once it hits that clip it's like a brick wall.
I screwed the nut down a little below the shaft and hit the end of it (after making yhe shaft as straight as possible) but niw the f'n screw is stuck. Waiting on an impact socket so I can try and remove it.

I greased the splines for installation

1 - 19 of 19 Posts