·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Murano - Not charging
2WD
229k miles
  • alternator replaced 6 months ago
  • 3 months ago stopped charging, had checked out at AutoZone, told need new alternator. I didn't think it was the alternator because my battery light and brake light were not coming on when the key was in the on position. I cleaned up some grounds and was able to get the alternator to work if I rev the engine once. I have a voltmeter display plugged in at all times so I can monitor. Had to do this for about a month and then the alternator just worked all the time. Then about 2 weeks ago I had to start revving the engine again. And now that doesn't work. When the key is in the on position the brake light and charging light we're not coming on again, Rather if I waited a while I could see it flicker a bit. I cleaned up more grounds and got them to illuminate fully.... And now they flicker again.
From what I've read in the schematic the alternator gets a charge from that part of the circuit?...

- silly question but can I run a jumper straight from the battery to that brown wire that goes to terminal 3 (L)? Or will that blow it up? While I don't mind replacing the alternator if it's faulty I'd hate to have to go through all that trouble with the radiator again and all, for nothing.

- Grounds I removed and sanded all contact surfaces, replaced:
- E 28
- E 29
- E 13
- F 23

- I tried to get to grounds M 14 and M 78 but It looks like I have to remove the entire front interior to get to them????

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
You may be over-thinking this. The brown wire that goes to Terminal 3 of the alternator connector is for the charge warning lamp in the combination meter. You just need to make sure the circuit is functioning and that's pretty much it. Disconnect the alternator connector and turn the ignition switch on (charge warning lamp should be off). Then, turn ignition switch off and ground Terminal 3 and turn the ignition switch back on (you should now see the charge warning lamp on).

If you used a remanufactured alternator (esp. Autozone or other auto parts brand) then it likely has gone bad. Unfortunately, it's common for people posting on these forums to go through aftermarket remans like crazy.

It's good that you cleaned up some grounds, but for the alternator the main battery ground is most important. Inspect it all the way back to where it connects to the CVT and if there's any corrosion then replace it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
2004 Murano - Not charging
2WD
229k miles
  • alternator replaced 6 months ago
  • 3 months ago stopped charging, had checked out at AutoZone, told need new alternator. I didn't think it was the alternator because my battery light and brake light were not coming on when the key was in the on position. I cleaned up some grounds and was able to get the alternator to work if I rev the engine once. I have a voltmeter display plugged in at all times so I can monitor. Had to do this for about a month and then the alternator just worked all the time. Then about 2 weeks ago I had to start revving the engine again. And now that doesn't work. When the key is in the on position the brake light and charging light we're not coming on again, Rather if I waited a while I could see it flicker a bit. I cleaned up more grounds and got them to illuminate fully.... And now they flicker again.
From what I've read in the schematic the alternator gets a charge from that part of the circuit?...

- silly question but can I run a jumper straight from the battery to that brown wire that goes to terminal 3 (L)? Or will that blow it up? While I don't mind replacing the alternator if it's faulty I'd hate to have to go through all that trouble with the radiator again and all, for nothing.

- Grounds I removed and sanded all contact surfaces, replaced:
- E 28
- E 29
- E 13
- F 23

- I tried to get to grounds M 14 and M 78 but It looks like I have to remove the entire front interior to get to them????
My post here should help if it's a grounding issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts