Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I purchased a used MO with 235,000 miles on it. I knew it was going to need some TLC because it was a repo that had obviously been neglected but it was only $1000 and it ran and drove fine with the exception of a bad cv axel. So as my father always taught me, always change and check your fluids, spark plugs, filters before putting anything with this many miles and sketchy ownership in the road. That being said I started with the air filters, then spark plugs. The first one on the front (exposed) row, I think #3, the boot came off the coil pack, I was instructed to put it back together and see if it would still work. At this time I had only changed the front 3 and not taken the intake manifold off for the back 3 due to time and I didn’t have the gaskets yet. Once everything was put back like it was I tried to start it and it cranked but wouldn’t start. The next day I replaced the bad coil pack with a new one and continued with the full spark plug replacement. All the other coil packs looked good, there was some oil in a few of the spark plug shafts. I understand what this is from but for now we will watch it. I replaced the intake gaskets, put the intake back together with special attention to where all the lines went. I had to cut the end off one of the rear vacuum lines because the end of it was beginning to show heavy wear and holes starting. I had to replace a battery cable end because it was broken. Attempted to start the car and again crank but no start. I placed a battery charger on it for a while because I’m aware there’s an alternator recall due to it draining batteries, but still no go. HELP,,,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried pulling the codes? Buy an ODB II scanner or go to the local parts store to see if they'll do it for you. A common problem with the early Murano's is the camshaft position sensor will get oily and need replacing. That's what happened with my 04 Murano and it wouldn't crank. I pulled the code for the CPS off the scanner and bought the cheap replacement off Amazon for about $50 I think (OEM about $200). Car started right up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diego not yet my dad had one but the batteries were dead in it so it just gave me an error. I did get it to start after working on the CV axel for a few days it started right up. Now the issue I’m having is after all this work being done, and a coolant hose not being connected (From previous owner I guess) which caused all fluid to run out and momentary overheating and fixing that, I got it up and running again and it even ran better than before but after driving it about 5 miles and stopping at a red light the damn thing just lost all power and shut off. When I tried to start it again I just got a clicking sound and no other response. I know this car has an alternator recall that has never been serviced but I’m just trying to get it to run long enough to get it to the dealership to have all the recalls serviced. Wish I’d done a little more research on this car because even for $1000 this has been a huge headache and one of the most difficult cars to work on I’ve ever experienced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so after the battery being disconnected for a few days she started right up. Drove her down the road, less than 5 miles, and smoke rolling out from under hood and it shut off at a red light before I could turn it off myself. Temp guage never showed an elevated temp nor did any alerts on the DIC. The car didn't run rough or idle rough prior to overheating so not sure how long it was too hot. Towed it back to the house and found a couple hoses not connected, so I found where they went and one was the water/coolant that connects to the bottom of the phlenum where the breather tube attaches. So drove her again after that and now the damn alternator has gone out!!!!! Im about ready to set this thing on fire! I am bruised from head to toe and have never in my many years of working on cars had so many issues as this one. Besides needing a little monkey to reach all this ridiculously crammed places the quality of the parts on this car are crap. So I left it on the trailer and took it to my local dealership the next day for a service appt to get the alternator fixed under the recall. To my dismay the recall is over 10 yrs old and is closed per Consumer Services. The dealership was nice enough to pull all service records for this car and give them to me but the knowledge of the rep from Consumer Services was minimal to say the least. She kept arguing with me that the campaign being closed meant the recall was serviced on this car. Every recall had been serviced except this one at this actual dealership coinsidentally. So I took the car home and removed the old alternator my self. Now i am looking at what appears to be an original alternator becasue it has Nissan stamped on the back. I cannot find any type of identifying numbers anywhere except on an extremely oil/grease covered lable with a bar code. I am going to try to salvage what info from this I can and take it to Advance,have it tested and a print out, take it to Nissan to see if they can tell me if this was in fact the original alternator, and when they tell me yes, go find the ignorant woman who argued with me at Consumer Affairs and choke her!!!!! (Figuratively Speaking of course) Stay tuned!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts