Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if all you 2004 Murano owners would recommend waiting for the 2005's to come out or do you suggest the 2004?
After reading about rattles and locking doors I am tempted to wait it out.:confused:

·
4,664 Posts
Go get it now. You don't want to spend the summer looking at other people's Muranos and wishing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. thanks for the quick reply.. But as a self confessed worrier and overly cautious consumer... I like to research and read on what I want to buy before I buy it. If there are so many problems with rattles and door locks.. Hopefully Nissan will have this problem solved with the new 2005 models. I think they will be available in Jan. I am also concerned with the price.. This is an expensive car! I am still doing my research and juggling the Honda Pilot, the Toyota highlander, and the kia sorento. Your all going to say, "the sorento"? Well it seems to have good reviews and I love my friends new gold 2004.. Now to convice my husband.. He adores the Murano!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
you can always stick with a murano that...

that has only the first option upgrade (leather, sound, traction control, awd). I got a cloth seat Mo AWD, and it is still cheaper than hilander and pilot but ride much better.

When i purchase the mo, these few hi-points are what i consider top of my reasons:
1. ride quality , murano drives like a car rather than suv
2. awd and vdc plus curtains and side airbag for security
3. tha' look :)

Other stuffs like: premium sound, leather seat, navigations are not top on my list. If money is tight, I can forgo these 'extras'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cheryl:

I would wait if I really wanted another Nissan. I have a 2004 SL with everything except for navigation. It's about 3 months old with 3500 miles. It's been in the shop four time for various problems. Off center steering wheel, loose a pilar, driver's seat, and a broken gas door actuator. It's a battle with the dealer everytime and with Nissan North America. They come up with this BS about can't be duplicated. I call it the Jeidi mind trick, where they make you feel that your imagining these problems. Nissan needs to work on it's workmanship and customer service. They don't care.

I can't believe Nissan put such a bad product out on the market. For me I'll never buy another Nissan again in my life.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Every care has issues, in my opinion. Every member of my family that has bought a new car has had to bring it back to the dealer for something. Heck, my father bought a Ford F-150 that had to have the engine replaced!!!

Opposite to minsane's experience is mine. I've had mine for 6 months now. Have 7k miles on it. I've only been to the shop once for the schedule 3500 mile service. Never a problem. And I have a 2003. You'll find problems in the 2005 as well, I'm sure. Has there ever been a car made where problems didn't arise? Cars are like everything else you'll ever buy in life. Just hope you get a good one.

I've been very fortunate in every car I've ever bought, new or used. I bought a 1995 Nissan Quest for the family two years ago used from a used car dealer whom I dealt with previously. In 2 years I've only had it to the mechanics once. And that was for new brakes.

So find yourself a good dealer, and any problems you do have won't seem so bad.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have had mine for 3 weeks now. No Problems at all.
This is my 5th Nissan. 3 Pathfinders and 1 Maxima.
Nisssan makes a very good product. Much better thne that of Ford or GM.
Yes, there are problems in every car. However, There are far less problems with Nissan products.
This board is great . However it does showcase some of the problems with the MO.
I bet if everyone that had a MO posted on the board. You would find a very positive Feedback rating.
Think about it. HOw many times do you take time to post Positive comment about someting? You post when you are MAD or have a gripe.

Buy the Car. You wont be unhappy at all...
Take care , Jim

·
Registered
202 Posts
minsane said:
I can't believe Nissan put such a bad product out on the market. For me I'll never buy another Nissan again in my life.
Nissan didn't put out a bad product. Speak only about your own vehicle, please, and stop generalizing to ALL Nissans. You may have problems with your particular vehicle, and your dealer sounds like a nightmare, but YOUR experience is not MY experience. And I would venture to guess that your experience is the experience of only a very small percentage of the 60,000+ Muranos on the road. I have had none of the problems you mentioned in the 15,000 miles I've got on my Murano, and my dealership has been very accommodating. I would not only buy another Nissan but another Murano in a heartbeat.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Originally posted by minsane can't believe Nissan put such a bad product out on the market. For me I'll never buy another Nissan again in my life.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nissan didn't put out a bad product. Speak only about your own vehicle, please, and stop generalizing to ALL Nissans. You may have problems with your particular vehicle, and your dealer sounds like a nightmare, but YOUR experience is not MY experience./QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok my experience is as follows.

2002- 3.5V6 Altima. 24000 miles. No shake, no rattle, no roll. No breakdowns, no repairs, no problems.

2004 SL Murano 3400 miles. No shake, no rattle, no roll. No breakdowns, no repairs, no problems.

As Jeff said, its an individual thing.
I'd buy another in a NY minute.

·
4,664 Posts
I would be surprised if the 2005 is significantly different than the 2004 or 2003. Nissan's lanching the vehicle in Europe, so it's not going to change much for 2005.

Any vehicle with a plastic interior is going to have some sound issues at some point. It's the nature of the material.

I haven't seen a repeated rash of specific significant failures here, which is a good sign as well. EVERY vehicle has failures, just like EVERY product has failures, so you hope, with the good probability of success, that your vehicle, Murano or otherwise, will not have issues. And if it does, a dealer that takes care of them, is the best thing to have.

If you are looking for the perfect vehicle, you'll be looking for a long time. It's like looking for Mr. Right. He doesn't exist.

However, if you drive a Murano and it tugs at your soul to buy it, don't be afraid. It's a good risk. You have to evaluate what's important to you. For me, the styling, ride, performance and technology come together in a wonderful way. I get in my wife's fully optioned Ford Taurus and want to uh, :16: Because of it's ride, I call it "The Truck".

I am delighted with the Murano. Still. I hope Nissan doesn't mess it up, like they did the Maxima, when it's time for me to get a new one.:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having been exactly where you were just four months ago, I can appreciate your position. Other than missing a third row of seats (which I wouldn't want my kids sitting in being so close to the rear), the Murano was hands down the winner.

Vs. the Pilot: Pilot has no sunroof, HID, VDC, 6-disc changer, memory seats, (heated seats?) or side curtain airbags. Safety was very important for me, although the Pilot's crash ratings are pretty good. The luxury measures were also pretty important.

Vs. the Highlander: This one was closer, but the Murano's looks and more spacious interior won out for me. Plus, the Highlander does not have HID (not that big a deal), memory seats, or 6-disc changer (could be wrong about this one). Also can't remember if the Highlander had side-curtain airbags or not. Again, memory seats are key if there is a measurable height discrepancy between you and your significant other.

I will tell you, though, that the Highlander may have won out if the hybrid were here earlier. I do mostly city driving (downtown Chicago), and my fuel economy is very poor.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I would hope that Nissan would at least get some workmanship issues fixed by 2005.

A Technical Service Bulleting indicates that there have been a statistical representation of a a problem thatis worth Nissan's time to develop a fix.
Therefore a TSB indicates the presence of a problem. And that problem is much closer to being a common problem than a unique problem.

People who come here and dis everybody who have problems are way out of line.

This is the place to bring your problems.
Look at the name of this particular board

"Nissanmurano.org-general-problems"

Now while it is nice to know that some Muranos are trouble free, it is as impossible to enumerate them as it is to enumerate the problem cars.

The major disappointment I have with Nissan is that they have not fixed the problems where they are supposed to be fixed.
Back on the assembly line.

2004s are still coming out with loose bolts on the steering rack.
I mean for God's sake areall these Japanese workers hung over on Saki?
Are there such things as "Monday" cars in Japan?
Do you have to go to Korea to find a vehicle that assembly line workerhas pride in?

That is not acceptable. And it is pee pore business.

You can knock American cars all you want, but a case in point is the Ford Focus.
CR crucified the Focus (And it should have) for poor quality.
Much worse than the Murano.
Today, CR recommends the Focus.
That's the way a real car company operates.
They fix the problems.

Nissan needs to fix these TSBs where the problem originates, on the assembly line.

For that reason, I would recommend the 2005 over the 2004.

Homer

BTW - The brake pads to repair the infamous "reverse Brake Squeal" are STILL on back order. That's 3 weeks now.
Must have been a lot more than they figured.

·
4,664 Posts
Now to be fair to be Ford, I had a '95 Taurus years ago, that I loved. While numerous things had to be replaced and I even complained about the clear plastic signal lenses yellowing in only a year, the service was outstanding. (And even though I was just asking if that was normal, they changed both of them.) Partly because I think they do a lot of it, considering the products, but I'm sure GM does as well and I've get to find a GM dealer that was good at service.

So if Ford dealers ever start selling Nissan's I'll be a very happy guy. Although my current dealer is excellant...

A good dealer makes a huge difference in how you feel about the product. It's not to be underestimated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
All valid points.
Some vehicles just are tainted from Birth. I would venture to say that MO is not one of those in general. I live and work near Dearborn(FORD HQ). Thus come in contact with many people from Ford.
We share our parking lot with Ford vehicle testing and Rousch. I cant say how many people have come up and given my car a closer look.
:2:
My Brother in law is a Ford enginner. He is currently working on the Hybred Ford escape.
His comments when he looked over and drove the MO.
"Solid, design above anything Ford has to offer", " If I did not work for Ford I would have one of these in my driveway".
To get the MO, I traded in my 2000 Maxima with 83,000 miles on it.
Of the 83,000 miles on was back at the dealership one time, bad fuel injector.
They fixed that then I decided to trade it in and buy the MO.

:2:

·
4,664 Posts
That reminds me... When looking at my 2000 Maxima, I spoke to two friends that had Maximas. Both were 10 years old at the time. (The Maximas, not the friends.)

One was purchased used at 5 years old. The owner was still happy with it and only did maintenance on it. No failures.

The other had the AC fail and figured it was time to get a new car anyway and got the 2000 Max SE. He still has it, and still loves it.

I didn't want to give up my 2K Max, but hey, for a Murano? Are you kidding??? I'm still loving it 14 months later.

While Nissan needs to do some work with some of their dealers, I'm delighted with what comes out of Japan.

I just got off the phone with a work associate who has a new Maxima. He's had it for about half a year and he surprised me when he told me today that it's the best vehicle he's ever had. It does things that I'm not even aware of, to help with driving conditions and driving style. When he focuses on it, he can tell what's happening. He's an Application Engineer in a highly technical environment, and very demanding.

I have no issues with Nissan Japan. They are doing a great job. (Well except for the odd squeak.) Again, as far as other issues on a handfull of units, every single vehicle out there has them. It's the nature of mass production on any product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hfelknor said:
I would hope that Nissan would at least get some workmanship issues fixed by 2005.

A Technical Service Bulleting indicates that there have been a statistical representation of a a problem thatis worth Nissan's time to develop a fix.
Therefore a TSB indicates the presence of a problem. And that problem is much closer to being a common problem than a unique problem.

People who come here and dis everybody who have problems are way out of line.

This is the place to bring your problems.
Look at the name of this particular board

"Nissanmurano.org-general-problems"

Now while it is nice to know that some Muranos are trouble free, it is as impossible to enumerate them as it is to enumerate the problem cars.

The major disappointment I have with Nissan is that they have not fixed the problems where they are supposed to be fixed.
Back on the assembly line.

2004s are still coming out with loose bolts on the steering rack.
I mean for God's sake areall these Japanese workers hung over on Saki?
Are there such things as "Monday" cars in Japan?
Do you have to go to Korea to find a vehicle that assembly line workerhas pride in?

That is not acceptable. And it is pee pore business.

You can knock American cars all you want, but a case in point is the Ford Focus.
CR crucified the Focus (And it should have) for poor quality.
Much worse than the Murano.
Today, CR recommends the Focus.
That's the way a real car company operates.
They fix the problems.

Nissan needs to fix these TSBs where the problem originates, on the assembly line.

For that reason, I would recommend the 2005 over the 2004.

Homer

BTW - The brake pads to repair the infamous "reverse Brake Squeal" are STILL on back order. That's 3 weeks now.
Must have been a lot more than they figured.

Couldn't have said it better myself :4: Homer

Cheryl, I was waiting until 2004 to see if, for example, the steering problem was corrected, but wasn't. Maybe I should wait until 2010??????
:D

Not knocking the MO guys, I love it - but disappointed with CR results. I am now willing to spend an extrac 6-8K for the FX35. At least, according to CR, I will hopefully get a more reliable vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks everyone for your replies. My dad called tonite and was all excited about a pathfinder for HIMSELF! He went to look at the Murano and found it a little too space aged for his old fashioned taste. He really liked the pathfinder and said it was a lot less expensive. We never looked at the pathfinder as they only had an xterra in the showroom. (too cold Sat to go outside to look at the pathfinder) I live in Canada by the way! I think I will go this week and have a look at it. Still, it is great to see all the replies. We have lots of time to decide. (IF the tranny of our chrysler intreprid doesn't fall out):headshake haha

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good luck on your decision. Just make sure you do your homework on the Dealership before you buy from them. Find out if any complaints have been filed. Do you know anyone that has bought from them and what their experience has been. Stuff like that. The Murano is expensive (was the most expensive thing in the showroom when I bought mine, but I think the Armada is more now?).

·
4,664 Posts
Funny, I got in the FX and while it's nice and hot looking, found it cramped in comparison to the Murano.

If you're driving an Intrepid now, you'll forget you even had concerns about the Nissan products...

Two friends, one had an Intrepid and got the 3.5 litre Altima and the other had a 300M and got the Maxima. Both can't believe the difference and would never, ever, go back.

I feel for those that have had problems, but I'm not aware of a car out there that hasn't experienced this on at least some of them. So take the combination of a few bad experiences and the whining for perfection as just that.

The Murano's not perfect, but it's the closest I've had to it, for what I want out of a vehicle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Let me just say this;
For all of the cars out there, different makes, models and
manufactures Nissan ranks among the best. When they decided
to create the Murano, little did they realize that they've just put
together one of the finest automoble with style and engineering
that Nissan has ever produced.
You could not put a price tag on the smile you'll see on my face
when i'm driving this remarkable piece of Nissan ingenuity.:26:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts