Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys! I have a 2004 SL i have about 39k miies on it .... this morning the SERVICE ENGINE SOON came on and i'm worry about it... what you guys sugest

please help

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
It is probably your throttle position sensor which should be considered part of engine and therefore under warranty. If you have extended warranty, then you have no worries at all.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
According to the Owner's Manual the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" idiot light is called the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) in Nissan-speak. Page 2-14 (2005) states the following:

"If the malfunction indicator lamp comes on
steady or blinks while the engine is running, it
may indicate a potential emission control and/or
CVT malfunction.
The malfunction indicator lamp may also come
on steady if the fuel filler cap is loose or missing,
or if the vehicle runs out of fuel. Check to make
sure the fuel filler cap is installed and closed
tightly, and that the vehicle has at least three
gallons of fuel in the fuel tank.
After a few driving trips, the lamp should
turn off if no other potential emission control
system malfunction exists.
If this indicator lamp comes on continuously for
20 seconds and then blinks for 10 seconds
when the engine is not running, it indicates that
the vehicle is not ready for an emission control
system inspection/maintenance test. See
“Readiness for inspection/maintenance (I/M)
test” in the “9. Technical and consumer information”
section of this manual."

If I were you I would look at the simple things first. Check your gas cap to ensure it was put on properly (tight) during the last fill-up. A loose or missing gas cap is the #1 cause for triggering the MIL light.

-njjoe

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think zebelkhan was suggesting that if the thottle position sensor is the problem and is considered part of the engine, aka drive train, then it should be covered under the 5 yr-60,000mile warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
mine too

My 2004 did the same thing about a month ago. I waited a week and brought it in for the alternator recall as well. They found 1 code ( throttle position sensor) 10 driving cycles ago. No subsequent codes - but the light stays on. They reset the code and may have done something else ( put the postioner back in learning mode? ). It has been fine since and they said if it occurs again they will replace the throttle sensor. Oh yeah, we're at 16K miles - btw.

Chuck

·
5,244 Posts
Happened to me a few weeks ago. I used the gas pedal trick to get rid of the light. It's been OK since then.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would think the check engine light is covered under the 60K powertrain warranty, so take it to the dealer, you are still covered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts