Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to buy an 05 Murano soon and I have a couple of questions that maybe someone here could answer. I've read through the forums but some things are not clear:

1. Is the satellite antenna installed by default at the factory, even if I don't get XM radio? It looks to me like sat radio is a dealer installed option, so I'm assuming the antenna is just there already. Right?

2. If yes to above, is it possible to adapt the factory antenna to work with my Delphi Roady?

3. And finally... if I get the factory XM option, is it possible to just build a switch of some kind to allow me to switch between my own aux input source and the audio from the XM receiver? Judging from jaak's great diagrams, I'm assuming (with some hacking) yes! However I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something in particular that would prevent me from doing this.

TO NISSAN: PLEASE ADD FACTORY MP3 CD PLAYER AND AUX INPUT! THIS IS THE ONLY BAD PART OF THE MURANO!

thanks
Charles

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
1. No
2. NA
3. This has been posted but the detail escape me suggest a search. I had the Roady2 and a IPOD working thru the PAC NISS Aux Unit. Also posted, will find lots with a search, PAC should do it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply!

Then even if I get the factory XM radio there is going to be a second antenna installed? Right?

If so, the only advantage I can think of is having steering wheel controls for the sat.

Otherwise if I don't care about that I'm probably better off just using my Roady and the PAC input.

thanks
Charles

·
4,994 Posts
There will be only one Tuner antenna, the ONE you install or the ONE that you have installed if you order the SAT radio from Nissan.

If you have the NAV system, that antenna is not visable from the outside of the MO.

·
4,994 Posts

·
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok looking at it again I can see now what you mean. I didn't notice that the AM/FM antenna was separate (thought they were integrated with the sat).

So the XM antenna just gets installed separately, regardless of whether it's done by me or by the factory.

thanks
Charles

·
4,994 Posts
YEP, true for XM or Sirus.

·
Registered
261 Posts
anybody have the factory sirius lock up

So far it has locked up 4 times I unplug the box and plug it back in and it is ok for 1 week or so Today it said accquiring alot

Now what??

·
4,994 Posts
Sounds like either a bad antenna, antenna cable, Rf amp of the unit, I would go to the dealer.

·
4,601 Posts
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been stuck in bed with a killer flu.

Yeah, as Don's said, the Sat antenna is separate. The GPS antenna is in the dash, and I don't know how that got into this, and the AM/FM antenna is the one on the roof at the front. Some dealers have told their customers that it's the SAT and/or GPS antenna as well, which is wrong. I guess you don't have to be smart to sell cars.

The audio inputs for the Murano are balanced. What this means is one wire is a negative input and the other is a positive input, with no ground. The correct way to add a second input with the SAT in place, is with an unbalanced to balanced converter.

However, if you are using something like an Ipod and you won't be connecting it to the vehicle to charge, you can get away with connecting it directly on the audio inputs. The audio lines need to be cut (see the pinouts on my website) and the two negative lines tied to the common, or ground, of the ipod and the positives to their respective outputs. Again, this will only work if you aren't connecting a charger to the unit, as the ground must be isolated. Otherwise an unbalanced to balance converter must be used.

And to head off questions, yes, it will still work, even if it's grounded, but you may run into distortion problems, and/or audio level problems, depending on the device connected.

Which reminds me, there's a way to do this with the Sat receiver as it already has relays in it for audio switching. See that extra connector on the SAT?:D

Now that would be something worthwhile to present the detail for... Hmmm... I should do mine. One pin on the connector that goes to the radio, causes the relays to switch in audio inputs on the unused connector. Wouldn't that be useful....;)

·
4,994 Posts
JAAK ! Hope you feel better, Tough at the Holidays, Mine drug on forever, Wishing you a speedy recovery have a Hot Toddy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jaak,

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for!

I knew there was some functionality like that in there since the PAC adapter manages to switch between two inputs with a touch of the SAT button.

Balanced audio shouldn't be a problem. I've built unbalanced -> balanced circuits before using transformers from http://www.jensen-transformers.com/

What I am wondering is, does it need some other connection on that connector in order to signal the radio to allow switching to the second input? Because I'd imagine that if you have just the factory sat receiver attached, pressing the SAT button a second time does nothing.

thanks
Charles

·
4,994 Posts
JAAK COULDN't THAT Idea of yours (three posts up)
(carried to conclusion) actually eliminate the need for the PAC and then we could all save money and time and ...... Is that true or have I blown a fuse?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I had to edit this after reading up some more on jaak's page...

Well, the PAC is basically providing four functions:

1. emulation of an N-Bus device
2. unbalanced -> balanced audio conversion
3. input switching
4. wiring for easy inputs from consumer devices

What jaak is talking about would actually allow a single aux input while using the factory sat receiver, something you can't accomplish right now using any aftermarket adapter that I know of.

I think so anyway :)

Essentially it means having to emulate an additional N-Bus device on the second connector of the sat receiver - if it's even possible. It looks to be, but since I haven't yet heard of anyone who has it working I'm not 100% sure.

thanks
Charles

·
4,601 Posts
Yup, Charles, you got it dead on... What' I'm proposing (and I'm delighted you can build the audio converter) is just switching the audio paths, but leaving the digital side of the sat on, to keep the audio inputs open. If you wanted, you could switch the digital too, and send text to the display or listen to the key presses.

Using transformers for the audio converter, would work fine. If you're really picky about low end response, the transformers do roll off, so then an active converter is the best way, but more money.

The problem with the interface, which is why the PAC sells, is you need to fool the radio into thinking a valid device is present, before it enables the audio inputs. Having the sat receiver on there, of course, does the same thing, and redirecting the audio makes it easy to put in a different source.

If you look at this page from my website:

http://members.rogers.com/muran0/Connector Info.htm

Go to "Sat N-Bus In Connector (to Radio)" on the Sat receiver and check out pin M. This is not connected on the standard harness for the Murano. Pin M will switch the audio from sat receiver to the audio inputs on the other connector below it, on the page, called "Sat N-Bus Out Connector (Second Device)".

You can see these audio inputs at pins 13-16. Put an unbalanced to balanced stereo converter on there, apply a logic high on Pin M and you've just changed your audio input source.

Stick a microcontroller on it, and have it recognise a certain channel number, such as the preview channel and you could automatically switch the audio that way. That could then be programmed as a preset, if you like and then it's all integrated and hidden.

Obviously, I've thought about this, but I've not had the time to do it. I've had a number of people approach me about doing things, but they seem to run out of time too. So I don't feel so bad...

I have more data than what's on the web site. I should update it.

Don, thanks for the good wishes... The flu was nasty, but all's back to normal a couple of days later. Nasty but short!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Roady in Murano

Hey, I use the Roady and a PAC unit in my Murano and I found that if you remove the cover on the change tray in the console, the Roady will snap right into that space. Looks rather nice -- the silver matches the console and you can set the Roady for an orange LED display.

The big advantage of the Roady, of course, is that you can bring it into the house. A Roady home kit is only another $40 and comes with an excellent antenna and very useful remote.

·
4,994 Posts
Or put it here

Attachments

·
4,994 Posts
JAAK what about my comment of eliminating the pac just turn on the Roady or Ipod or xbox or whatever you have FIRST before the Radio or before switching which ever is required. Then switch the audio and even the digital inputs. No Pac required.? Did I miss something? I am about to put in another PAC unit and the 04 on have the SAT cable in place.

I don't want to charge anything and you said "However, if you are using something like an Ipod and you won't be connecting it to the vehicle to charge, you can get away with connecting it directly on the audio inputs. The audio lines need to be cut (see the pinouts on my website) and the two negative lines tied to the common, or ground, of the Ipod and the positives to their respective outputs. Again, this will only work if you aren't connecting a charger to the unit, as the ground must be isolated. Otherwise an unbalanced to balance converter must be used.

So can I do what you said to Charles above? but eliminate the Balancing converter.

·
4,601 Posts
It wouldn't be too tough to build an interface for a PC to take the OEM Nissan receiver and pull it into the house as well. Nowhere near as convenient as the Roady!

Don, the inputs will not enable, without a valid device to talk to the head unit and confirm it's existance. This means a Sat receiver, or the Pac unit, or a Phat Noise box, or maybe even a USA-SPEC CD changer. They all talk and tell the head unit what they are first, then it allows the audio to enable. No valid device, no audio in. This is why the PAC unit has a market.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts