Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, This is my opportunity to vent a little concerning my 2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD
First let me say i bought the Murano used at 40 k miles because i was so happy with a Nissan Altima 3.5 L we had. It was awesome. fast, powerful. no CVT.
I also love the style of the Murano and we have the unique copper color model.

Here are the mechanical and cosmetic challenges with the Murano in no particular order

First, it uses oil like a demon. many forums have many thoughts as to why. i see no smoke... i put in one quart every 800 - 1000 miles currently. i've heard the block is porous. i've heard valves leak. i've heard it all. i know the owner's manual says it uses a bit of oil... that was first for me. it's bad.

Service Engine Soon light came on long ago. i'm told it is throwing a code for Catalytic Converter. I'm also told it is bogus and very common on the 05 Murano. i know the service department mgr at dealership and he tells me it is bogus and more tied to a poorly designed sensor.

CVT Transmission. went out. we were within 1000 miles on an extended warrant so that one was done for nothing thank goodness. Nissan extended the warranty to cover issues is what i hear. i was shocked when dealer told me it was covered.

Seat on driver's side. first it is designed poorly and part of frame is prone to crack. check the forums on that one. mine did. the fix at dealer would have been over $600 for a new undercarriage on seat... i paid a local welder $20 to tack weld seat while i held it up for him to get to it. no problems since.

plastic worm gear on electric seat goes out - is worthless. dealer doesn't sell part. i found a solution on a forum for about $20 replaced it once i did a ton of research and found the gear that is used for an alternative use but fits the murano.

exhaust manifold read the forums. prone to cracking. mine did

cam positioning sensor front and rear went out. $60 each i replaced them on my own. symptom was car took long to start and would die unexpectedly driving down the road.

Oil filter. had a drip that messed up a clean driveway. thought it was the filter. nope. thought it was oil pan. nope. turned out there is a spacer between the block and the oil filter. instead of screwing into the block the filter screws into that spacer. it was leaking. again, check the forums, it is not an unusual situation, but was a challenge to diagnose.

Checking the oil. is there a worse designed dipstick in the history of automobiles? i know that sounds like i'm whining but when you have to put in as much oil as i do, you get annoyed with the very poorly designed stick. it is bad.

lamination on front grill. it peels. read the forums. very common.

maybe i just had bad luck and had everything that could go wrong with a Murano of this year go wrong.

i just bought my wife a new car and i actually looked at the Altimas but the moment i saw CVT i ran. in my view that transmission is junk. period.

i bought a honda pilot instead and am remarkably pleased.

i drive the murano now as i will until it burns up.

thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, everything you posted is true. Some of us have experienced many of those symptoms, others just a few, and one or two people none....yet.

Nissan dropped the ball on this car, and doesn't care to pick it up.

When I first bought mine, I really wanted to to be great, and for a short while it was. Then all of the little annoyances started, followed shortly thereafter by the big ones. Followed by even more, bigger issues..

I've had issues with cars from just about every manufacturer, but none were as prevalent or as frustrating as my ex-Murano. One of the few cars I (and my wallet) were glad to see go.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, everything you posted is true. Some of us have experienced many of those symptoms, others just a few, and one or two people none....yet.

Nissan dropped the ball on this car, and doesn't care to pick it up.

When I first bought mine, I really wanted to to be great, and for a short while it was. Then all of the little annoyances started, followed shortly thereafter by the big ones. Followed by even more, bigger issues..

I've had issues with cars from just about every manufacturer, but none were as prevalent or as frustrating as my ex-Murano. One of the few cars I (and my wallet) were glad to see go.

Well, I had a 2011 LE, drove it over 44,000 miles and never an issue worth mentioning prior to my selling it.. Even if I were to have had issues I would not come back here and make crapola posts like these. I would just move on unless I could come back here to this forum and contribute ... contribute positive posts..

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I have said for a long time, and have been chastised by Joe, Bill and others for saying it, but I'm going to say it again. I think this post, and many others like it are bogus trolling posts. I would never believe that one car would have every problem known to man regarding the Murano.

Folks read these forums and then get on and post as Bill says, crapola. Especially when you see one single post from a person. Calling the CVT junk is also bogus. There are hundreds of thousands of these transmissions on the road. Are there occasional problems, sure, but so are there with any transmission. I've had more transmission problems with Fords than with any other car, and I've also had transmission problems in GM cars. And none of these was a CVT.

Crazy, crazy, crazy!

·
Super Moderator
8,808 Posts
I won't go as far as Hal, but I share his suspicion and I have some perspective to offer.

When you buy a car at 40K, over the next few years you can expect to do some minor repairs. The only thing on the OP's list of much significance is oil consumption, but he didn't give us any specifics. Some people consider using a quart every 1000 miles to be catastrophic, other consider it a minor inconvenience.

As we all know, the CVT is NOT junk, and the OP had a 120K mile warranty on it whether he knew it or not. He did the smart thing with the seat, and I don't consider that a major fault...especially when someone is smart enough to just fix it rather than spend stupid money on dealer parts. I'm not sure what the check engine light issue is on his car - but it's not typical of Muranos. The oil filter deal is nothing worth mentioning; fix it and go on with life.

In short, someone has been lying to him about how bad Muranos are, he has collected a lot of bad information, and not all Muranos have the issues his did. Yes, issues like the manifold and cam sensor are things we'd all hope to avoid. Sorry, so sad, fix them and move on. Incidentally, I agree that the dip stick is so sucky that it could create a small black hole in the universe. Whoever designed it is an idiot.

Further, I see he's still driving it. You can drive a car many, many miles if you just have to drop in a quart of oil now and then. This was his FIRST post. If he's not a troll, I challenge him to come back and become a productive and regular member of this forum. If not, as far as I'm concerned, he's doing nothing but griping into the ether.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Well, I had a 2011 LE, drove it over 44,000 miles and never an issue worth mentioning prior to my selling it.. Even if I were to have had issues I would not come back here and make crapola posts like these. I would just move on unless I could come back here to this forum and contribute ... contribute positive posts..
Just so I have this straight... During your two year tenure with your bumper to bumper warrantied car you never had an issue (at least one "worth mentioning").

But even if you had experienced issues (you know, worth mentioning), you sure wouldn't bring them up in a model specific forum to make others (who perhaps shared similar experiences) aware....

So the only thing (in your world) that should be worth mentioning on any model specific automotive discussion board, should be "positive posts"?

Any negative posts based on actual experiences by actual users are to be considered "crapola".

Perhaps the entire Internet should be based on that model, nothing but sunshine and lollipops.

Sounds informative.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have said for a long time, and have been chastised by Joe, Bill and others for saying it, but I'm going to say it again. I think this post, and many others like it are bogus trolling posts. I would never believe that one car would have every problem known to man regarding the Murano.

Folks read these forums and then get on and post as Bill says, crapola. Especially when you see one single post from a person. Calling the CVT junk is also bogus. There are hundreds of thousands of these transmissions on the road. Are there occasional problems, sure, but so are there with any transmission. I've had more transmission problems with Fords than with any other car, and I've also had transmission problems in GM cars. And none of these was a CVT.
/QUOTE]

Two things.

1. Just because you would "never believe" that one car could have so many issues, doesn't mean it didn't/doesn't happen.

2. The "crapola" post Bill was referring to was mine. Look 3 inches to your left, I have slightly more than a "single" post.

OK, 3 things.....

I've had transmission issues with other cars as well, not one of them cost over $6,000 to replace because they can't be repaired.

Don't Click Here

·
Registered
271 Posts
I hate to admit it,but the original poster is correct about some of the problems with the Murano being pretty common. If one person has a problem out of one hundred than I would say that the owner just got a dud. However, if one owner out of ten have the same problem than maybe there is some truth to what people say. My wife's 2006 Murano have had nearly every problem described here on this forum, so I know that some Muranos are not built to go the distance without some TLC early in life. I know some will argue that every car will have issues after a couple of years, but I will not be blind and say that a car that has a high number of owners complaining about leaking TC,broken seat frames, wheel bearings, leaky oil filter housing all before it reach 100K miles is a well made car. The first generation Murano do have issues, but most of the problems can be easily repaired without going to the dealer if you know your away around a toolbox. However, nearly every automaker have cars that give some owners specific problems. I have just bought a late model Volkswagen CC, it has common problems with reverse sensors and a certain trim piece that crack early on which they have a TSB on. So, no car is perfect, but some are more problematic than others.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Just so I have this straight... During your two year tenure with your bumper to bumper warrantied car you never had an issue (at least one "worth mentioning").

But even if you had experienced issues (you know, worth mentioning), you sure wouldn't bring them up in a model specific forum to make others (who perhaps shared similar experiences) aware....

So the only thing (in your world) that should be worth mentioning on any model specific automotive discussion board, should be "positive posts"?

Any negative posts based on actual experiences by actual users are to be considered "crapola".

Perhaps the entire Internet should be based on that model, nothing but sunshine and lollipops.

Sounds informative.

I stand by my initial reply in this thread. IF someone after selling there vehicle, (i.e. Mr3Putt) is just coming here to whine , carry on about how bad the car they used to own was, etc.... WELL, then they need to move on. My last comment in this thread by the way. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
8,808 Posts
Yes, the Murano does have characteristic failures. So has just about every car I have ever owned.

Example: Audi 5000/100/200 (Type 44 chassis) Leaky steering rack, hydraulic steering buffer (aka: the bomb) failing every now and then, blower motor failure, door switches going bad, turbo version too stout for the automatic transmission.

Great car anyway. Had two, loved them both.

So I have done my share of repairs, but (1) it's seldom that they all happen to one car, and (2) a wise owner shops for options. When you own the car, you just have to make your own decisions as to whether it's smarter to keep it or sell it.

I am aware that some people know nothing about cars and go to dealers for everything. Ignorance costs you money. Ignorance of plumbing means you call a plumber to replace faucet washers and such...once again, ignorance costs.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do not get me wrong, the Murano is a fantastic suv. I love to drive it on road trips and it handles very well. Yes, I have done repairs on it, but it drives like a dream when it is repaired. My wife love it when it works, hate it when it breaks like most people, but overall love it too much to trade it in. Some cars are tanks like the Lexus LS cars that never needs much in the term of repairs, but most cars do have their share of problems after the warranty period has expired. My advice is that if you love the car just fix it, and if you do not like it, buy one that you will be ok fixing, because eventually every car will need to be repaired. Or you can just lease them, and trade them for a newer model under warranty so the repairs will be covered free of charge:29:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our 2006 Murano S didnt need anything besides routine maintenance up until ~140k miles.

Its at 168k now and I've done probably half of this forum's issues on it, but then ANY high mileage car will have these problems! It comes with the territory, most of the problems just arose from gaskets/rubber going bad/wearing out. Hell, most of them could have been left alone without much hazard (and MANY people do just that!).

P.S. A ton of Muranos have been sold, but this is a rather small forum so any complaints posted here are magnified and make it seem much worse.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Our 2006 Murano S didnt need anything besides routine maintenance up until ~140k miles.

Its at 168k now and I've done probably half of this forum's issues on it, but then ANY high mileage car will have these problems! It comes with the territory, most of the problems just arose from gaskets/rubber going bad/wearing out. Hell, most of them could have been left alone without much hazard (and MANY people do just that!).

P.S. A ton of Muranos have been sold, but this is a rather small forum so any complaints posted here are magnified and make it seem much worse.
Did you buy your Murano new or used? Your join date is listed as 2009 and you owned a 2006 Murano, so did you buy it used? If so maybe the previous owner fixed the common issues and you have been blessed with one that have been brought back to working perfection when you obtained it, the next owner for my wife Murano will be a happy owner because it rides like a brand new SUV due to all the work I did on it.:29: Or maybe you just got one that is trouble-free, hell, some owners are lucky like that:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you buy your Murano new or used? Your join date is listed as 2009 and you owned a 2006 Murano, so did you buy it used? If so maybe the previous owner fixed the common issues and you have been blessed with one that have been brought back to working perfection when you obtained it, the next owner for my wife Murano will be a happy owner because it rides like a brand new SUV due to all the work I did on it.:29: Or maybe you just got one that is trouble-free, hell, some owners are lucky like that:D
My mom bought it new in April 2006, she signed the papers on her lunch break and I drove it home for her. I've always maintained it and recently bought it from them since they have too many cars, I needed a cheaper daily driver for work.

My family has owned many cars over the last 24 years, and the number of major problems we've had is stupidly low! Of course, with the exception of our first "newer" car in the US, a Ford Ranger, and our German sedans, all other cars were bought brand new. Buying new and taking care of your cars has a lot to do with long-term reliability IMHO.

My parents diiiiid kinda have a habit of totalling out cars between 100-140k miles, and thats right before you start having suspension and cooling issues on most cars. :19:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
One of the reasons I decided long ago to avoid buying used cars, if at all possible. I don't like the idea of buying something that someone has probably not maintained the way I would. I have bought 3 used cars in my 43 years of buying cars. Two of those were for my daughter, and both of those had some problems. The other was a Cadillac I bought that was 1 year old and had 11,500 miles on it. I did have good luck with that one and had no major repairs on it.

Every other car has been bought new and maintained as per the manufacturer's schedule. Most have been trouble free, but if there is a problem, I know the history of the car and have the maintenance records. The vast majority of folks don't maintain their vehicles properly and it shows as the vehicles age and get some mileage on them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lot of good :)(bad):mad: points brought up here and thanks to everyone for shedding good:) and (bad light):mad: on these issues. Cheers/Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok. I read a few posts here and some of you think they are bogus, but I will say... It's not bogus. My 05 Murano ran so nicely up to a year and a half ago. First it was my muffler that had to be changed, then my catalytic converter went. I replaced the cat and my engine light has been on since and it's been on for about a year to this day. Took it to the dealer and my car threw a 1273 code about bank 1 sensor 1 (I already knew this). I replaced it first with a Bosch sensor, code still coming up. I replaced it with a Nissan sensor, code still coming up. Nissan then says it's the solenoid valve after charging me for the second time to run a diagnostic. I changed that and the mass airflow sensor, code still there. Nissan then says your cat converter may be bad, I said it was just changed along with the bank 1 senser 1 that keeps throwing the same code. So I call Nissan consumer relations because Nissan can not tell me what's wrong with the car. I refuse to keep paying for them to run diagnostics on this car and change part after part and the same code keeps coming up. The Consumer Relations representative basically said Nissan told you what the problem was and there is nothing more they can do. I have list all confidence in Nissan. If they can't figure out what's wrong with my car.... And they are supposed to be trained Nissan Techs, then who?
To top it off, my transfer case has a leak and they want to charge me about $1500 to change all the seals. Oh boy! I just don't know what else to do.

·
Super Moderator
8,808 Posts
To top it off, my transfer case has a leak and they want to charge me about $1500 to change all the seals. Oh boy! I just don't know what else to do.
Do a search here to find the correct wrench set at Harbor Freight, get it, then check the level once a month and add gear oil if needed. Cheapest solution, and if you aren't leaking fast you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK, This is my opportunity to vent a little concerning my 2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD
First let me say i bought the Murano used at 40 k miles because i was so happy with a Nissan Altima 3.5 L we had. It was awesome. fast, powerful. no CVT.
I also love the style of the Murano and we have the unique copper color model.

Here are the mechanical and cosmetic challenges with the Murano in no particular order

First, it uses oil like a demon. many forums have many thoughts as to why. i see no smoke... i put in one quart every 800 - 1000 miles currently. i've heard the block is porous. i've heard valves leak. i've heard it all. i know the owner's manual says it uses a bit of oil... that was first for me. it's bad.

Service Engine Soon light came on long ago. i'm told it is throwing a code for Catalytic Converter. I'm also told it is bogus and very common on the 05 Murano. i know the service department mgr at dealership and he tells me it is bogus and more tied to a poorly designed sensor.

CVT Transmission. went out. we were within 1000 miles on an extended warrant so that one was done for nothing thank goodness. Nissan extended the warranty to cover issues is what i hear. i was shocked when dealer told me it was covered.

Seat on driver's side. first it is designed poorly and part of frame is prone to crack. check the forums on that one. mine did. the fix at dealer would have been over $600 for a new undercarriage on seat... i paid a local welder $20 to tack weld seat while i held it up for him to get to it. no problems since.

plastic worm gear on electric seat goes out - is worthless. dealer doesn't sell part. i found a solution on a forum for about $20 replaced it once i did a ton of research and found the gear that is used for an alternative use but fits the murano.

exhaust manifold read the forums. prone to cracking. mine did

cam positioning sensor front and rear went out. $60 each i replaced them on my own. symptom was car took long to start and would die unexpectedly driving down the road.

Oil filter. had a drip that messed up a clean driveway. thought it was the filter. nope. thought it was oil pan. nope. turned out there is a spacer between the block and the oil filter. instead of screwing into the block the filter screws into that spacer. it was leaking. again, check the forums, it is not an unusual situation, but was a challenge to diagnose.

Checking the oil. is there a worse designed dipstick in the history of automobiles? i know that sounds like i'm whining but when you have to put in as much oil as i do, you get annoyed with the very poorly designed stick. it is bad.

lamination on front grill. it peels. read the forums. very common.

maybe i just had bad luck and had everything that could go wrong with a Murano of this year go wrong.

i just bought my wife a new car and i actually looked at the Altimas but the moment i saw CVT i ran. in my view that transmission is junk. period.

i bought a honda pilot instead and am remarkably pleased.

i drive the murano now as i will until it burns up.

thanks for letting me vent.
I agree the older my murano gets the more I find myself fixing…and it is a 2003 and only has 80,000 miles??WTF…..I am looking at a mazda cx-9 or kia sorento….I am tired of the dealer taking advantage of me every time I take it in….the only thing that was covered under Nissan warranty was the CVT replacement…now I have an oil leak where the engine block meets the transmission. Dealer quoted me $2000 for the rear seal repair….time to trade my murano in…Yup and I have been a member since the first year of the murano in 2003.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with many of the points here, the Murano as well as it drives and handles, starts to become a ticking time bomb after high mileage.

Personally I've had pretty much most of the issues listed on this forum, even that ^%#*$ Delayed acceleration issue that drove me nuts.

Yes most used cars have issues at high mileage, but the Murano in my opinion tended to have more issues comparable to some known German brands.

Looking back, in the end my 03' catching fire freed me of this money pit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts