Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
136 Posts
Wow, some people have had some bad luck. Mine has 95K and has been extremely reliable. Other than oil changes, belts, and filters, I had to replace a cam angle sensor($59) and a hose($13) that chafed on the belt pulley. Of course, it has been properly maintained and drive since new. Even brake pads are original but the rears need replacing in the next 10K miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So the issue with adding one quart of oil every 1000 miles or so is not unusual in the 2005 model. Just posted on the problem forum since I add about 1.5 qts. every 1500 miles in my daughters car and was looking for input regarding the culprit since it does not leak and no smoke is coming out of the exhaust. Very uncommon to have to add that much oil to any modern day car in my opinion. Question I have is where does the oil go? Ring by pass? Valve issues?
Change the oil in my 2012 F150 every 10,000 miles and it is never low.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
So the issue with adding one quart of oil every 1000 miles or so is not unusual in the 2005 model. Just posted on the problem forum since I add about 1.5 qts. every 1500 miles in my daughters car and was looking for input regarding the culprit since it does not leak and no smoke is coming out of the exhaust. Very uncommon to have to add that much oil to any modern day car in my opinion. Question I have is where does the oil go? Ring by pass? Valve issues?
Change the oil in my 2012 F150 every 10,000 miles and it is never low.
Thanks
Wasn't unusual for my Murano to drink oil. I'd check it every tank (which wasn't that easy with the world's most useless dipstick) and then add a quart or so every third tank.

Ah, the good old days.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
So where does the oil go? I do not know of another vehicle made in the last 20 years that you have to constantly add oil to unless there is an issue with leaks or rings!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,808 Posts
Oil can be consumed in these ways I know of:

- Leaks
- Worn valve stem seals which allow it to enter the combustion chamber
- Worn rings/cylinder bores which allow oil to enter the combustion chamber

I'm not aware of any other possibilities...but if I've missed one, I'm sure others will remind me.

And AFAIK most Muranos are not oil burners.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ROFL
so sucky that it could create a small black hole in the universe.
how true, good lord it is awful.

Failed PCV can cause oil consumption as well.

LOL "the block is porous" the only way the block is so porous is if someone drilled a hole in it.

Someone hit the nail on the head when they said the CVT is no worse than any other trans for reliability. They're an easy target because they're different. I've got 100k on mine and i've just recently begun to see the symptoms of it failing. And that's only the hard bump on decel, possibly lower gas mileage too. Dealer said they won't touch it until it throws a code. Sooo, now I just have to rag on it until it gives out or find a dealer that'll do the fix based on known symptoms other than a code.

Also even if replacing one costs $2000-$3000, a rebuilt standard manual will cost the same if a shop does the whole repair and install.

I do a lot of consulting for repairs on VW/Audi vehicles, and I can tell you those vehicles are so failure prone it'd laughable if it weren't so sad. The Murano, with it's minor annoyances, is a dream by comparison.

except for getting to the spark plugs... whatever a-hole thought it was a good idea to curl the intake over the rear bank, then tuck the rear bank under a 3 piece rain tray, under the wiper motor, deserves a few sessions of lemonade waterboarding.

now im on my own tangent, but even worse, said same a-hole incorporated the same design on the Versa! it's an I-4 for craps sake, why does the intake need to curl up and over the Valve Cover? why?

·
Super Moderator
8,808 Posts
ROFL

... whatever a-hole thought it was a good idea to curl the intake over the rear bank, then tuck the rear bank under a 3 piece rain tray, under the wiper motor, deserves a few sessions of lemonade waterboarding.
APPLAUSE!! Elegantly and accurately said!!!! >:D

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
ROFL

Also even if replacing one (CVT) costs $2000-$3000, a rebuilt standard manual will cost the same if a shop does the whole repair and install.
Got a guy who will replace one for $2000? I'll send you a list of buyers who will keep him busy for a year.

More like $6,000.

On a 100,000 mile vehicle that's around 40-70% of the total value of the car.

·
Super Moderator
8,808 Posts
Got a guy who will replace one for $2000? I'll send you a list of buyers who will keep him busy for a year.

More like $6,000.

On a 100,000 mile vehicle that's around 40-70% of the total value of the car.
For me, that would just be an excuse to find a used BMW X5 with a manual transmission. But my tranny works just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, This is my opportunity to vent a little concerning my 2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD
First let me say i bought the Murano used at 40 k miles because i was so happy with a Nissan Altima 3.5 L we had. It was awesome. fast, powerful. no CVT.
I also love the style of the Murano and we have the unique copper color model.

Here are the mechanical and cosmetic challenges with the Murano in no particular order

First, it uses oil like a demon. many forums have many thoughts as to why. i see no smoke... i put in one quart every 800 - 1000 miles currently. i've heard the block is porous. i've heard valves leak. i've heard it all. i know the owner's manual says it uses a bit of oil... that was first for me. it's bad.

Service Engine Soon light came on long ago. i'm told it is throwing a code for Catalytic Converter. I'm also told it is bogus and very common on the 05 Murano. i know the service department mgr at dealership and he tells me it is bogus and more tied to a poorly designed sensor.

CVT Transmission. went out. we were within 1000 miles on an extended warrant so that one was done for nothing thank goodness. Nissan extended the warranty to cover issues is what i hear. i was shocked when dealer told me it was covered.

Seat on driver's side. first it is designed poorly and part of frame is prone to crack. check the forums on that one. mine did. the fix at dealer would have been over $600 for a new undercarriage on seat... i paid a local welder $20 to tack weld seat while i held it up for him to get to it. no problems since.

plastic worm gear on electric seat goes out - is worthless. dealer doesn't sell part. i found a solution on a forum for about $20 replaced it once i did a ton of research and found the gear that is used for an alternative use but fits the murano.

exhaust manifold read the forums. prone to cracking. mine did

cam positioning sensor front and rear went out. $60 each i replaced them on my own. symptom was car took long to start and would die unexpectedly driving down the road.

Oil filter. had a drip that messed up a clean driveway. thought it was the filter. nope. thought it was oil pan. nope. turned out there is a spacer between the block and the oil filter. instead of screwing into the block the filter screws into that spacer. it was leaking. again, check the forums, it is not an unusual situation, but was a challenge to diagnose.

Checking the oil. is there a worse designed dipstick in the history of automobiles? i know that sounds like i'm whining but when you have to put in as much oil as i do, you get annoyed with the very poorly designed stick. it is bad.

lamination on front grill. it peels. read the forums. very common.

maybe i just had bad luck and had everything that could go wrong with a Murano of this year go wrong.

i just bought my wife a new car and i actually looked at the Altimas but the moment i saw CVT i ran. in my view that transmission is junk. period.

i bought a honda pilot instead and am remarkably pleased.

i drive the murano now as i will until it burns up.

thanks for letting me vent.
Wow!!! Thanks forspeakimg the words right off my tongue!! Same exact car, same exact problems. Does Nissan expect the many Murano buyers they sold a lemon to to just take the cost of time and repairs and disappointment of ltrusting what used to be a reputable company for many years, until they released the Murano. Is there anything we, the trusting and faithful consumers of Nissans, are able to do about this? I am a hardworking single mother of two young boys, 8 and 3, and they are almost as bothered by this nightmare a son I am. We are now "Nissan Haters" for life. I'm sure my great great grandkids will be, too. This is something we just can't let go. NISSAN SHOULD MAKE IT RIGHT TO THE FEW MURANO BUYERS. This is just wrong

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have said for a long time, and have been chastised by Joe, Bill and others for saying it, but I'm going to say it again. I think this post, and many others like it are bogus trolling posts. I would never believe that one car would have every problem known to man regarding the Murano.

Folks read these forums and then get on and post as Bill says, crapola. Especially when you see one single post from a person. Calling the CVT junk is also bogus. There are hundreds of thousands of these transmissions on the road. Are there occasional problems, sure, but so are there with any transmission. I've had more transmission problems with Fords than with any other car, and I've also had transmission problems in GM cars. And none of these was a CVT.

Crazy, crazy, crazy!
He's not trolling tho cause every single thing he's saying about a
I have said for a long time, and have been chastised by Joe, Bill and others for saying it, but I'm going to say it again. I think this post, and many others like it are bogus trolling posts. I would never believe that one car would have every problem known to man regarding the Murano.

Folks read these forums and then get on and post as Bill says, crapola. Especially when you see one single post from a person. Calling the CVT junk is also bogus. There are hundreds of thousands of these transmissions on the road. Are there occasional problems, sure, but so are there with any transmission. I've had more transmission problems with Fords than with any other car, and I've also had transmission problems in GM cars. And none of these was a CVT.

Crazy, crazy, crazy!
The thing is he's not trolling.. I've been fighting my 05 nissan Murano for the last 5 days.. I've had to change camshaft sensor, fuel pump, thermostat, water pump, catalysts converter, valve cover gaskets.. my seat is broke and the chrome wrapping on front grill is falling off.. so again how is he trolling?? Cause it looks more like y'all just don't want these problems known

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,306 Posts

The thing is he's not trolling.. I've been fighting my 05 nissan Murano for the last 5 days.. I've had to change camshaft sensor, fuel pump, thermostat, water pump, catalysts converter, valve cover gaskets.. my seat is broke and the chrome wrapping on front grill is falling off.. so again how is he trolling?? Cause it looks more like y'all just don't want these problems known
I don't think the OP was probably trolling either, but the difference between him and you is that he posted that back in 2013 when his car was 8 years old with 40k miles. Your car is 16 years old (how many miles?). The Nissan Murano does have some known documented issues, but all the items you listed can fail on any car after 16 years. A car is just a machine and over time all machines wear out and break down, even when well-maintained.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Super Moderator
1,306 Posts

This sound pretty normal for a 15 year old car. As any car get older and the miles add up, you're going to start experiencing these issues.

EOL of just about any gas car built in the last 20 years is about 250K. You can expect to see issues and parts failure once you reach 50% of EOL, with more issues as the miles add up.

Believe it or not, 99% of today's cars now go to 125K miles without a single issue. Only oil, tires, and brakes being replaced is the goal that auto manufactures would like to have at the 125K mile mark.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
8,808 Posts
Agreed. Those problems are common for cars in that age range. I suspect some of them have been accumulating for a while but not addressed, so they finally reached critical mass. Better to take care of them as they arise rather than letting them add up.

The seat frame break (for instance) has been thoroughly discussed and can be resolved with a trip to a welding shop. I pulled my seat (four bolts) and it cost me $40 to have it welded.

·
Registered
152 Posts
IMHO the biggest flop was the CVT. Thats one thing I have noticed Honda does, they aren't the first auto company to "try" stuff. I think my 2013 Accord may have been the first year they used a CVT or close to it.
I can't blame Nissan and sounds like they did extend the warranty. But sux, because if I trusted the CVT more I would keep the car.I found a CVT complaint page and the average mileage for failure was 114K and I am at 110K

The rest of the story is my dad ( who is now 90 ) bought this as his first ever " foreign" car in 2007..The last straw was he bought a top of the line Buick Sedan and it broke constantly. Stupid stuff like the window motor failed at least 2 or 3 times in couple years. Seat motor also had issues all the time. And they hardly drove it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts