Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST PICKED UP MY NEW MO..AND ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW! THIS CAR IS AWESOME, I ALSO HAVE A 2003 CADILLAC CTS AND THE DRIVE IS THE SAME! SMOOTH AS SILK! BUT I HAVE A QUESTION, I PUT THE AWD LOCK ON, AND THE CARD STAYED IN IT AND I FELT IT ABOVE 30 MILES PER HR, I THOUGHT IT SHUT OFF AFTER 18 MPH, THE MANUAL SAYS 6 MPH, AND THE QUICK REFRENCE SAYS 18, I DROVE IT AND IT NEVER SHUT OFF, YOU CAN FEEL THE CAR IN AWD..IM KINDA HOPING THAT THE 2005 DONT SHUT OFF AT A CERTAIN SPEED..DOES ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS...

·
My MO's faster than yours
444 Posts
I think 2005's AWD lock turn off @ 6mph. I hope you're not turning it on while driving on dry roads....its bad for the rear diff.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i only just did it tonight for like 1 min to see how it worked, you totally feel like your glued to the floor, this is a good thing! but i went like 30 mph and it stayed in awd! is that possible?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I understood that it stayed in AWD until 18 MHP. After that, it only goes to AWD when needed (i.e. when it feels slippage).

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
522 Posts
While the AWD clutch unlocks at 18MPH (or 6, theoretically for the 2005), don't expect the light on the dash to go off, that just tells you what position the switch is in and not the actual status of the AWD system.

And BTW, using it on dry pavement is more bad for the transfer case than the rear diff, I've heard of no issues with the latter while the former seems to blow up occationally and part of the "repair" is to swap in the 2005 AWD lock switch hardware with the lower MPH cut-off.

·
My MO's faster than yours
444 Posts
MightyMo said:
While the AWD clutch unlocks at 18MPH (or 6, theoretically for the 2005), don't expect the light on the dash to go off, that just tells you what position the switch is in and not the actual status of the AWD system.

And BTW, using it on dry pavement is more bad for the transfer case than the rear diff, I've heard of no issues with the latter while the former seems to blow up occationally and part of the "repair" is to swap in the 2005 AWD lock switch hardware with the lower MPH cut-off.

ah yes...the transfer case!...its bad for that too

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Like the posts above stated, AWD lock is not meant to be used in normal driving conditions, or even packed snow. The AWD system is fully automatic and will switch to AWD if slippage is detected.

AWD lock is for those really slippery situations, such as if you are stuck.

·
4,664 Posts
If you're driving gently in packed snow, I agree with Eric, don't put it on. If you're not taking it easy, or you're just generally having fun, trust me, put it on....

If you hammer it in packed snow while turning, the system will detect it's slipping, and kick in the rear wheels part the way through the turn. The next thing you know, traction conditions have just changed to your rear wheels and if you're really gassing it, you've just unhooked the rear end.

First reaction, oh no, what's it doing? So you automatically let off on the gas which makes the front wheels dig in.

Rear unhooked in turn, fronts digging in, better hope there's no poles, hydrants, or anything else you don't want to hit in the spin you've just created. Oh, unless you have VDC and it's on... But VDC probably wouldn't have let you do that in the first place...

So if it's snow or ice you're on, I say AWD on. Especially if you are in an area where you want to have some fun and no one else is on the road with you. Rain? Let it do it's thing...

This winter one day the roads were sheer ice... Like glass. AWD worked well then. While everyone else was in the ditch or parked in the road petrified to move, jaak in his Murano, with the AWD switched on, was creeping along at about 4 mph, passing them all.

Had to be really gentle with the gas, but I was impressed. There was a corner that was a steep camber, going up a hill. A gentle right, then a hard left. In the ditch on the other side of the road, was a Toyota highlander. Passing it was a Murano. :)

Of course I had my window down and was saying good morning, especially to the 4x4 drivers chatting to each other waiting for the ice to melt.:4:

Some have felt they would like the Murano to be all time AWD. In the two years and three winters I've driven mine, I have yet to find a situation where the AWD was not up to the task, nor could I detect when it released and I lost ability to put horsepower to the road.

My only concern about it, is in slippery conditions, it's a little slow to engage, if I'm driving more aggressively than normal. (I do this in isolated areas, because I enjoy driving. I don't drive like an idiot, however.)

So AWD gets turn on, when it's time for fun in ice and snow...

It's even bad for a 4x4's transfer case to have it engaged in the dry.... So it's not just a Murano characteristic.

:D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
mariasmurano,

I have an 03, and if its like yours, even with the switch on "AWD" the light is light regardless of weather it is in engaged or not. The light is just telling you the switch is on. So when you say it was on at 30 MPH are you going by the light? If so then it probably wasn't engaged.

As other have said, let the MO decide when you need it and if you get stuck or are in very very slippery conditions turn it on. Other wise just leave it off.

I enjoy the system because I know its there when I need it yet I have the trackion and fuel economy of FWD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts