Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rented a 2005 Toyota 4Runner on a business trip to Long Beach, CA.

It was a 4WD SR5 V6 model. Here are my impressions:

Engine/drivetrain:
The 4Runner has a powerful V6 (245hp/282lb/ft) but its blunted by the 4700lb curb weight, and a very uncharacteristically harsh Toyota 5-spd automatic. Shifts were overly firm and the electronic throttle did not kick down to a lower gear very quickly (if even at all). The 4.0L V6 is clearly a truck engine, with slow revs and some vibration as it passes 4000rpm. When you get on the gas, the engine comes to life, and is adequately fast for merging into LA freeway congestion. In 600 miles of combined city/hwy in the Los Angeles area, I got 16mpg on regular unleaded. Still, the Murano felt more responsive, and the CVT always has the right "gear". Advantage: Murano

Ride:
A very high ride height and tall profile 70 series tires provided a cushioned ride, which felt pretty good in the city. However, once on the highway, any bumps overwhelmed the firm but not firm enough shocks, and the vehicle had an unsettling rise and fall motion. The Murano on the other hand, has a harsh city ride but a wonderfully firm highway ride which never feels unsafe. Advantage: Murano

Handling:
Should be no contest here, but for what its worth the 4Runner felt surprisingly maneuverable. The steering was responsive but had zero feel. Getting back into the Murano, it felt like I was driving a sports car (ok not quite, but you know what I mean). Advantage: Murano.

Brakes:
The 4runner has typically firm Toyota brakes, but were rather difficult to modulate. In contrast, the Murano's brakes are more progressive but some might reterm this as "mushy." The Toyota's brake assist is very quick to act, and engaged unexpected several times. However, I did like the nice firm brake feel. Advantage: 4Runner

Access and convenience:
The 4Runner is pretty high off the ground, but the runner board is useless for me. I am pretty tall (6'2") so have no problem stepping into the 4Runner, and the running board just gets in the way and brushes my pant leg. The seating position in the 4Runner is extremely uncomfortable. The seat is the same size, but the floor is much higher, making you sit almost in a sedan-like recline. However, the roof is kind of low, so I had to sit way back with my knees almost hitting the steering wheel, making for a rather awkward driving position. The Murano on the other hand, allows me to sit as if I were sitting on a normal dining table chair. Much more comfortable. Advantage: Murano

Interior:
Toyota uses a fake plastic metal looking trim instead of aluminum. At first I thought, wow this is so cheap! Then I noticed the soft touch dash top, the rubberized hard urethane plastic, and the tight gaps between trim pieces. Its no contest, even though the Murano has a more futuristic looking interior. On the other hand, Toyota is very cheap in not illuminating certain controls - the lock and window switches are not lit, nor are the odo/trip reset buttons. Advantage: 4Runner

Cargo area:
The 4Runner appears to have a larger cargo area than the Murano, although I believe space wise, the Murano is technically the winner. There are however, nice mirrors in the cargo area which let you see the rear bumper, quite useful for backing up. The large Toyota hatch is rather heavy and difficult to slam (there is nothing to hold on to). I now appreciate the Murano's composite rear hatch. The 4Runner's hatch window rolls down, although I did not find any reason to use it other than to see it once for the wow factor. Advantage: Murano

Ergonomics/controls
Its a toss up. I think the 4runner has, appropriately, tough looking controls. The theme is a gear cog in the 4Runner with those shapes running through the controls and guages. Looked very nice, although the 110mph speedometer was decided "low performance." I liked the airflow from the HVAC system - even at the low fan speed the air was quite strong. The auto setting on the climate control delivered a good strong flow of air at all times, something the auto setting of the Murano does not do (unless its really hot or cold).

Wow factor:
I admit, I felt like a "tough guy" driving the 4Runner. It has a commanding presence on the road and a nice heft in its operation. However, I feel like a "cool guy" driving the Murano. I'll take cool over tough, for now. Advantage: Murano

When all is said and done, I think the Murano wins hands down. Its more comfortable, roomier, and drives much better than the 4Runner.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I personally think the 4Runners are very nice vehicles but, my wife traded-in her 01 4Runner about 6 months ago and I can't say I miss the very harsh truck like ride. I don't know if the new ones ride as harsh but you could feel every bump in ours. Room, that was the other problem. If I had to drive it to work I hated it because I'm not that big of a guy but with my gun belt on (I'm a Police officer) it hit the console on one side and the door on the other. This doesn't happen in the Mo. There are alot of other things and I guess that is why I own a new MO and not a new 4Runner. To each his own. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I agree with Ohio Murano. Traded in my 01 4-Runner almost a year ago. I do not miss the ride or the room. Since getting the Muranp, all other cars I have driven seem to have very small seats and not enough room!

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yep the 4 runner is a truck, look under one and see the frame from front to back in one piece. All Toys shocks suck, period. You have to change them to a rancho 5000 in order to get pillow feel---I left the ground many times in my Toy when I was off road--before the shock change it was as if I landed on a very hard spring BOING--after the shock change it felt as if I landed on a pillow, amazing.
Yep, itza truck--no contest to the feel and coolness of da Mo.
:)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nice review and I agree with everything you said about the 6 banger. On the other hand, the vehicle drive train is quite different with the V8.

Mileage goes down suprisingly just a bit, but all the interior issues still can't be overcome in my opinion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used to own a 00 4Runner. I liked it for it's build quality, height and city driving and I hated it for harsh highway ride. I kept cursing it until I traded it in and bought a honda accord.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Since very few people are offroad crazy and even they will go after the Land Rover, Toyota should start using independant multi link suspension like the Nissan Pathfinder (Correct me if I am wrong).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To its credit, CR has reported that even with a rear beam axle, the 4Runner rides better than some crossovers and has pretty good handling as well. While it is true that an independent rear suspension would produce slightly more interior space, I think people who buy 4Runners (former 4Runner owners) would appreciate the ruggedness of a solid axle.

That said, its great Nissan went with an IRS in the Pathfinder, to make room for the 3rd row childrens seat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
4Runners have these new suspension option X-REAS that improves handling. But dont know if that will improve highway ride.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
murano123 said:
4Runners have these new suspension option X-REAS that improves handling. But dont know if that will improve highway ride.

The X-REAS is pretty clever. Its basically a fluid link between diagonally opposed shock absorbers, so when one shock compresses, the diagonally opposed shock will use the pressure generated from the other shock to "push" the wheel onto the ground.

For example, on a hard left, the vehicle will lean to the right, and the pressure on the right front shock will transfer to the extra force to the left rear shock (compensating for the left rear wheel's tendancy to lift). Works the same for all other wheels. Neat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts