Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 S FWD - approx. 175,000 miles

About two weeks ago, I began hearing what sounded like a wooshing sound. No warning lights, just the noise. After taking a look under the hood, I noticed that the A/C clutch pulley was wobbling. I wasn't able to change it immediately. Several days later, I stopped at a light and noticed smoke coming from beneath the hood. I pulled over to find the A/C pulley smoking and the serpentine belt snapped. In the process of repairing the pulley, I found that the electromagnetic coil had shorted and the corresponding fuse was blown as well.

I replaced the belt and the bearing - the bearing was bad, which I suspect caused the initial wobble - a week ago and then the fuse and electromagnetic coil on Monday. After these repairs, the A/C was operating fine from Monday until Wednesday evening when I heard a screeching. I turned off the A/C, which stopped the noise, and got it home to find that the 10 mm bolt that fastens the clutch to the compressor was missing.

I found a replacement bolt at ACE Hardware this morning and installed it. When I turned on the A/C, the bolt was unscrewed and spit out. I uploaded a video of it from my phone to YouTube (https://youtu.be/vJmmXG1Lyo0).

I went to get my nicer camera so I could take a higher frame rate, slow motion video to show my brother-in-law and took another video only to watch the clutch fail completely. That's also uploaded to YouTube (https://youtu.be/VUY3mHmdTzU). The video is slowed down by 4x and you can see the A/C turn on at about 22 seconds in this one. The white marks on the clutch are soap.

I know the outer plate of the clutch needs replacing but I'm concerned that when it overheated the first time that it may have damaged the compressor itself, resulting in the latest failure. As opposed to the clutch just taking a little while longer to fail on its own. Can anyone provide any advice? I'm hoping to hear that I'm just worrying needlessly.

Thanks for the help y'all!

·
Registered
123 Posts
My advice would be to replace the compressor altogether. (dryer and all that must be done/changed when opening the system) That's just me though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best bet replace the entire compressor, you could get the whole front clutch assembly, but will still require comp removal to replace properly. Internals of compressor should be fine, keep the pipes sealed and as long as you had pressure in the system upon removal, you can skip the dryer replacement.
With either option just make sure you have the correct oil and oil levels in the compressor when it goes back in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts