Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang

As some of you already know, following some limited posting on my behalf, I am the proud owner of an '06SL, black with charcoal.

The car was picked up in March and I guess that with 4,500 miles on it to date I've probably already hit the break-in period. As with most cars, there are growing pains and questions. Here's a few I have for you, as I haven't been able to find anything on point via the search feature:

1) Have any of you experienced a pronounced rattle upon acceleration at the lower RPM's sometimes around 2,000-2,500 and well under 15MPH. It's a very noticeable rattle, you can really only hear it with the window open but it is definitely there. Of course, the dealer wasn't able to reproduce but it never fails that when I'm in the car, I hear it. If any of you have had a similar problem I'd be curious, as I might be able to point them in the right direction.

2) Shredding foam on the drivers seat? At first I thought that the wife might have had something to eat while driving (she never does) and that some crumbs landed to the side of the seat nearest the drivers door, below the power seat switches. Upon further review, it's seat foam, which leads me to believe that the foam is somehow catching on the track when the seat is moved back and forth. Has anyone seen a similar problem?

3) Another rattle coming from the rear-view mirror area, I'll have the tech look at after my next visit.

4) After having driven the car, even for short hops, when exiting the vehicle and listening to the engine, you hear a pronounced "hiss" of liquid hitting a hot part on the engine, and a resulting sizzke. Again, has anyone seen it?

5) Finally, on the '06SL, and I'm not sure if other models also have it, there's a button to the right of the rear license plate, almost built into the reverse light. What does it do? Make cappucino when depressed? Direct link to Norad?

Thanks for any/all answers!

KOZ

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
KOZ-

Let's see if I can offer some assistance...

1) My guess is that what you are hearing is the sound of pre-ignition, a.k.a. engine-knock. Are you running regular gas? If so try a tank of Premium and see if it the noise is still there. Minor, short-duration engine-knock is not detrimental to the engine.

2) I have not experienced the problem, but I concur with your assessment. Something is catching the foam and rubbing it as it compresses/expands.

3) ?

4) That sounds like A/C condensate hitting the exhaust pipe. Nothing to worry about. To confirm it is the condensate try driving the car for a few miles with the HVAC system OFF. Park the car and listen for the sizzle. No sizzle - no problem.

5) The "Norad" switch is actually the "back door request switch" for the Intelligent Key system. It locks/unlocks all of the doors.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your MO.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Please explain #1 better.
I had a metallic "rattle" or such with a squeek in there too, at the rpm you are experiancing at. It was heat shields.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mgthe3 said:
Please explain #1 better.
I had a metallic "rattle" or such with a squeek in there too, at the rpm you are experiancing at. It was heat shields.
MGT and Joe thanks for your replies.

MGT, at the lower RPM, upon acceleration, its a noticeable rattle, now whether this is a knock or ping, I can't say. If I was to give you the closest sound I might say something similar to a small piece of metal rolling around the inside of a garbage disposal in your kitchen sink, but not as loud.

However, you do know that its there.

Funny thing was that the dealer mentioned the possibility of it being heat shields, but then when they couldn't reproduce the sound, even though I hear it whenever I'm in the car, it's there.

Did you have a similar noise?

·
Registered
34 Posts
3) Could be visor rattling/squeaking in its clip. Try popping both visors out of their clips and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
droo said:
3) Could be visor rattling/squeaking in its clip. Try popping both visors out of their clips and see if it goes away.
Thanks but its not the visor, it's the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse but once in a while the drivers side visor extender.... well extends slightly. When this happens it rattles, sound like its coming from the rear view mirror. Just take a look and push in the plastic extender see if that does anything.

Try it... humor me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
KOZ said:
at the lower RPM, upon acceleration, its a noticeable rattle, now whether this is a knock or ping, I can't say. If I was to give you the closest sound I might say something similar to a small piece of metal rolling around the inside of a garbage disposal in your kitchen sink, but not as loud.
Ok I'm glad it's not just me, I also have an '06 SL and this one has been concerning me just a bit as well. I'm almost positive I have the same noise and I'm familiar w/ engine knocking and this isn't it.

To me it sounds like a dampened version of the sound you get from bad CV Joints and I need to confirm it but it seems I hear it mostly at starting off while turning slightly and very quickly goes away.

I'll definately have this looked at in my first dealer visit but for the moment don't think it sounds like it's threatening just odd.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
#4 is definitely AC water dripping onto the exhaust pipe. This happens on my MO when I parked on a slight incline, but not when I park in my level garage. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Koz

Yes, that is the sound.
I believe there has been another fix for such a sound besides the heat shields: Fuel dampners. I believe Homer had this problem, am I right Homer?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
No, I didn't have the problem.
Never heard the sound.
But I interjected in an earlier thread to explain what "Fuel" Dampeners really were. (Once I figured out what Nissan was talking about)
They are called Pulsation Dampeners in racing and are in the fuel line. Usually located on what is called the fuel log. In other words, on top of the bank of cylinders that is being fed fuel.
So, the Murano, being a V6, has two logs and a dampener on each one.
They act like the standpipes in you house plumbing to keep the air from causing the pipes to bang.
You can buy them aftermarket for use on custom FI engines.

Since then, there have been other cases of a "fuel" dampener gone bad.

Could well be the problem.
If they go bad (Before Nissan I had never heard of one going bad.........) then you would hear various rattling noises as the Fuel Injectors "fired".

Homer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
droo said:
I'll be dammed- sure enough, I press my hand up against the driver's side visor extender and that's the problem. Rattle eliminated. I have to see if I can now remove that extender- most l ikely not.

Thanks much for the tip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gonzo said:
Not to beat a dead horse but once in a while the drivers side visor extender.... well extends slightly. When this happens it rattles, sound like its coming from the rear view mirror. Just take a look and push in the plastic extender see if that does anything.

Try it... humor me.
Correctamundo good sir. You were dead on with this one.

Thanks to everyone with their feedback, including the "hissing" coming from the car once turned off- it is indeed only after having the AC on and only when parked on an incline, so again, you guys hit this one on the head.

I appreciate the tips regarding the engine rattle and will certainly bring those points up to the dealer on my next visit.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Excellent.... I hate rattles. When I heard this it took me a little bit before I realized where it was coming from. I know the rear view mirror is "squeaky" but only when adjusting it.

Now the next "rattle" to watch out for is when the seat belts are retracting fully and the buckel is hitting plastic trim, expecially true for the rear seat belts.

Enjoy your MO... I like your choice of color.

·
Registered
34 Posts
KOZ said:

I'll be dammed- sure enough, I press my hand up against the driver's side visor extender and that's the problem. Rattle eliminated. I have to see if I can now remove that extender- most l ikely not.

Thanks much for the tip.
No problem, my rattle wasn't coming from the visor area either. But it turned out that it was... ;)

And I need to see if mine's coming from the extender, didn't think about that. It sounds like it's coming from the clip, but...

·
Registered
29 Posts
KOZ said:

I have to see if I can now remove that extender- most l ikely not.
I had the exact same rattle...the extender on the passenger side, whether all the way in or a little out, would rattle inside the visor. The plastic slot that the extender slides in and out of does pop off...I just popped it off and took the extender completely out...problem solved.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hissing missing on a driveway incline

I have a driveway incline, and an 06 MO. I notice that EVERY time I back out of my driveway, there is a "discharge" trail of condensation on my driveway...and a noticiable "lack" of hissing. Could it be that backing out on an incline drains the condensation tray on my driveway, and NOT my exhaust? Inquiring minds want to know. I do know the "rattle" you talk of. Had it on my dearly departed 05 (may she rest in peace...saved my life she did), and it comes from, you guessed it...the passenger/driver visor being "loose" in the clip. What fixes it? Well, putting some nice foam tape on the clip rod will make it go away (I know, I did it). The 06 is also pretty notable because it frankly is a far sight quieter than my 05. Do yourself a favor, and put 93+ in the tank. Will make your ride quieter. My 10 year old son noticed it yesterday, he said, "Dad, your car is so quiet"
When a 10 year old, on his way to football practice notices, its a fact!

Peace out!

Big Daddy

·
Registered
1 Posts
KOZ said:
Hey gang

1) Have any of you experienced a pronounced rattle upon acceleration at the lower RPM's sometimes around 2,000-2,500 and well under 15MPH. It's a very noticeable rattle, you can really only hear it with the window open but it is definitely there. Of course, the dealer wasn't able to reproduce but it never fails that when I'm in the car, I hear it. If any of you have had a similar problem I'd be curious, as I might be able to point them in the right direction.

KOZ
Any update on this problem. My wife noticed something similar on our 2006 Murano SL and mentioned it to me. It seems as though it only does it when the motor is cold, i.e. after it has been sitting for a while. It may also hesitate slightly... not sure if it does or if I was subconsiously letting off the gas when I heard the rattle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My '06 doesn't have any of those rattles (that I can hear, anyway).

The button to which you refer unlocks the rear hatch--if you have the Smart Key in your pocket.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts