Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,hope you are all well.
I need some advice.
I bought the Mo few weeks ago but have an issue that the car will not engage to D or R,the engine however make the different revs as is about to go in to "gear" when put in D or R
plug the scanner in and got the two codes on transmission
P0720 Output Speed Sensor
P0746 PC Solenoid A (tried another scanner then it says something about stuck)

What I did :
Replaced the Output speed sensor with oem
check the plug and circuit,test it with multimeter as the manual recommends.
cleared error codes and still got the P0720

I have also checked the battery and alternator
unplug the battery for more then 24hours
got both error codes

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hey guys,hope you are all well.
I need some advice.
I bought the Mo few weeks ago but have an issue that the car will not engage to D or R,the engine however make the different revs as is about to go in to "gear" when put in D or R
plug the scanner in and got the two codes on transmission
P0720 Output Speed Sensor
P0746 PC Solenoid A (tried another scanner then it says something about stuck)

What I did :
Replaced the Output speed sensor with oem
check the plug and circuit,test it with multimeter as the manual recommends.
cleared error codes and still got the P0720

I have also checked the battery and alternator
unplug the battery for more then 24hours
got both error codes
If the transmission won't engage then it's more likely related to the line pressure DTC. Was it doing this when you bought the car or did it start shortly thereafter? Either way, that kind of symptom with that code often means you need a new transmission (or valve body).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the transmission won't engage then it's more likely related to the line pressure DTC. Was it doing this when you bought the car or did it start shortly thereafter? Either way, that kind of symptom with that code often means you need a new transmission (or valve body).
I bought the car like this,the previous owner said the car just went if there is no power like if it was a lower gear and when he turned off the car and back on it wont go in to drive,like is in neutral..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will really like to fix the car,I am going to drain the cvt oil this weekend and drop the pan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have seen a few guys posting issues that they got with the Murano, but never came back if its resolved or not with certain error codes they received from OBD scanners.
Well today I decided to drain the oil and drop the pan and surprised surprised. The CVT belt have snapped:cry:
Now it does make sense of the P0746 error, there is no oil pressure because the belt is snapped.
P0720 output sensor error, it does make sense because the belt is snapped and pulleys are not driven.
attached is photo of the pan.
the other photos will follow

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after this I was looking at he valve body,and saw pieces of the belt clips in the filter,so drop the filter and cleaned it.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Yikes! I have never seen that before -- that's a pretty catastrophic failure!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
How many miles/kilometers are on your Murano?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
while I was looking at the valve body,I decided to drop that too,well that was not looking good:oops:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would say your CVT is most likely damaged beyond repair...

I don't think it is as simple as replacing the belt (if you can even get one.) I would imagine further damage occurred when that thing came apart, at the very least there's probably unrepairable scoring where the belt contacts...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I clear out the hole where the pieces of belt were at the pulleys, I don't see any other damage, I just wonder why something like this will happen, anyway enjoy the photos,so from now on if that two error codes appear your belt got snapped.
I am thinking of remove the transmission and replaced or repair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm no expert, but I would say your CVT is most likely damaged beyond repair...

I don't think it is as simple as replacing the belt (if you can even get one.) I would imagine further damage occurred when that thing came apart, at the very least there's probably unrepairable scoring where the belt contacts...
I will phone around next week and ask qoutes,here in SA are a few places that do repair or exchange your transmission and pay in,I am still looking forward to give life to this vehicle.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The CVT would have to be taken apart completely to determine definitively why it failed like that, but a common cause of those kinds of failures in the RE0F09A//RE0F09B transmissions used in the 1st and 2nd generation Muranos is that the variator pulleys slide in/out on small 6mm ball bearings and reportedly these can wear into their grooves over time and pop out. There are some good tear-down videos on YouTube that talk about this failure phenomenon. In the U.S., a transmission like yours would be parted out and you would be given a remanufactured CVT. That's pretty much how shops fix them these days since there's a dearth of replacement parts (i.e. broken CVTs are cannibalized for good parts to repair or remanufacture other broken CVTs).

Reactions: Redline
1 - 15 of 15 Posts