Nissan Murano Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
This YT video lists a number of suppliers and catalogs for rebuilding Jatco and other transmissions.
He also has a detailed instructional video of Jatco JF011E overhaul in the link.
There is now enough interest in auto service industry to service CVTs.
Thanx wolfgang! I will watch the video,I do appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Redline, so did you grind the socket like mine in the picture so it would fit the nuts real good? So you are enjoying how nice a how over tight all the bolts and nuts are on these cars? Sorry to hear you goofed up one of the nuts. This is why it took me a week to get the transmission out of the car. Be very patient with the exhaust nuts and bolts use liquid wrench, the guy below tested penetrating oil and that is what he found worked the best. For the torque converter nut check out the video.

Maybe something this guy shows may help.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I can personally vouch for the Rocket Socket set. One should keep in mind that if these kinds of tools are coming out of the tool box, it's oftentimes to avert a disaster so it doesn't make sense to cheap out. That's a tough spot to have a rounded fastener.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Redline, so did you grind the socket like mine in the picture so it would fit the nuts real good? So you are enjoying how nice a how over tight all the bolts and nuts are on these cars? Sorry to hear you goofed up one of the nuts. This is why it took me a week to get the transmission out of the car. Be very patient with the exhaust nuts and bolts use liquid wrench, the guy below tested penetrating oil and that is what he found worked the best. For the torque converter nut check out the video.

Maybe something this guy shows may help.
I will look around for something like the rocket socket at our shops.
The intersting part is while I was busy under the car I see some dirty white writing that says "murano" on the side of the transmission l phoned the previous owner and he said the transmission was replaced before with a secondhand/reconditioned one but according to him Nissan dealer replaced it🤔
That was years back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It was replaced and the bolts are still crazy tight? That is pretty bad, there is no reason to have them much more than around 30 to 35 ft lbs, I need to see what the manual says if anything about that.
For a service manual you can go here. PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY, IF SOME BIG AD POPS UP ABOUT MANUALS DO NOT CLICK ON IT. IT IS AN AD, IF IT DOES NOT GO AWAY IN A FEW SECONDS OR SO. THEN CLICK SOMEPLACE FAR FROM IT. YOU JUST WANT THE SITE NOT THAT AD. IT MAY POP UP MORE THAN ONCE. IGNORE IT.
Find your proper year etc. The transmission manual is a joke, but better than nothing.

THIS IS NOT FOR YOUR TRANSMISSION, it is for newer one, but it is the best thing as far as a factory overhaul manual there is I have found. Some of the torque values may be the same etc.
Many similar things except the different oil pump. You have to keep scrolling down, because this is a Technical service bulletin.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
38 ft-lbs. Not too tight. My guess is that those are M10 nuts, maybe. Is there any evidence from the other nuts you removed that the last people that were in there used lock-tite (e.g. blue, green, or red residue)? If you can post some pics of what you see that might be helpful.

Rectangle Font Parallel Art Number

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you, I need coffee. I looked like crazy and didn't find it. When I loosened those nuts I was guessing a loosening torque of close to 200 ft lbs. I'm sure they where loctited with some special japan brand, after they were loose, they are very easy to remove with fingers. I would only use blue or medium thread locker on any fastener on this car. If you use a very high strength locker you run the chance of breaking the fastener next time you go to remove it. What ever they did to install those nuts was all wrong, and totally unnecessary, in the old days I never used any thread locker on such things. They could have not only used a high strength thread locker, but also gone overboard on the impact wrench as well. And not just on the torque converter nuts, most every nut and bolt on the thing was a huge battle, especially in some of the cramped area's you have to try to pull a wrench in, with no good way to pry it or use a cheater to loosen 150 ft lbs of loosening torque. The rear drive shaft flange bolts were just wow! But then things maybe a small bit easier with a hoist to lift the car to stand under it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Redline, any news on the project?
Hi chidog,I was working long hours this week so did not got really time to spend on the car...and I need to keep the wifey happy too.
Anyways so I battled with that last nut from the torque converter,I was in two different towns looking for a socket set like the rocket socket..No one knows..but yeah this is South Africa😡
I removed the nut...(don't ask)
I also decide to removed the sub frame complete away from the car,it needs a good cleanup and that I can get a better look a the seals/rubbers that needs to be replaced..
Chidog I do understand now why you said that I need to remove the transfer case before I can remove the transmission,because behind the transfer case are some bolts that are hiding.
I see the previous owner replace the exhaust manifolds with branches..so I need to remove that branch before I can remove the transfer case as its too close...I will attach some photos

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes the all the bottom exhaust needs off.And more.
Thanks for keeping us posted. Its a difficult job isn't it? Happy to hear you got the torque converter nut.
Here is the place to see the parts you may need. They are not very good and you have to hunt for the TC nuts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yes the all the bottom exhaust needs off.And more.
Thanks for keeping us posted. Its a difficult job isn't it? Happy to hear you got the torque converter nut.
Here is the place to see the parts you may need. They are not very good and you have to hunt for the TC nuts.
Hi Chidog,yes this is not a easy job!! I did not swear so much in a long time😄

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks like in those pictures that someone removed the catalytic converter and just made some tube headers, maybe not so much in the way?
It will be interesting to see what you find inside the trans. The variator nuts are thin like the torque converter nuts, and they where undersize allot so I got smaller sockets and used a dremel like tool to size them, and a disk grinder to face them. I'll take pics if you need them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Looks like in those pictures that someone removed the catalytic converter and just made some tube headers, maybe not so much in the way?
It will be interesting to see what you find inside the trans. The variator nuts are thin like the torque converter nuts, and they where undersize allot so I got smaller sockets and used a dremel like tool to size them, and a disk grinder to face them. I'll take pics if you need them.
Hi Chidog,yes you may send those pics.
update: last night I removed the transmission successfully, I needed to removed those branches before I can remove the transfer case.
the transfer case was removed easily with no hassles.
I will taking apart the transmission soon and will let you know how it goes.

I got a friend that is working somewhere in the USA and he will arriving in south africa in the first week of November so maybe he can bring me some parts,I am very keen to get that pin kit/pins for the pulleys to replace those 6mm balls

·
Registered
84 Posts
If he can bring parts that is great. You need to get into that transmission and find out what you need. You will need some sort of press to work on the variators. A simple one could be made using a jack.
If you get the Transtar kit it has the pins. And yes you do not want to use the 6mm balls. I sent you a message, not sure how that will work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Machine Wood Metal Shelf Auto part

okay guys so I took out the transmission put it on my work Bence and decide its time to go in

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system Rim

So I removed the gear assembly, checked if there are any damage on bearings,etc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Bottle Product Automotive tire Drinkware Bottle cap

And there it is I found the bugger!!!
Took a short break it was very hot couple of days in my town!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Textile Sleeve Grey Material property Personal protective equipment

So before removed the pulley assembly, pieces of belt was sticking out.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Rim

In the pulley housing were still pieces of belt so I cleaned that.
no internal damage in the housing

41 - 60 of 93 Posts