Nissan Murano Forum banner
121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Looks good, though I did not use RTV to seal the case. And that photo with the coil springs, that whole deal is a bad design, when I took mine apart those springs were not straight, that plate has too much side clearance to keep them from moving, and yes not easy job. Looks like it should work good. Let us know.
Thanx I will do so,can you remember what oil you used for the transfer case? and how much?
and did you cleaned your torque converter?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I used Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in '03 without any issues. I figured synthetic would be better than conventional gear oil because it only holds about 150 ml... The only issue of concern is if the synthetic would leak, which mine didn't.

Any good quality gear oil that meets Nissan's specifications should be just fine though.

This is from my '03 owner's manual:

Font Parallel Number Pattern Document

If you don't have the service manuals, you can download them from here:

• Helpful
Reactions: Redline

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think it was 75w-90 ?(UPDATE IT WAS 80W-90) I'll check when I can. I had the torque converter rebuilt locally they did a great job, even the weld was far better than the original. I had at first ordered the torque converter from the place I got the kit from. They sent the wrong part and said they could not get the one I needed. Also I used the Nissan flush for the oil cooler, and discovered the external oil filter below the small warm up oil cooler. I wanted no trace of what ever fluid was used in the transmission nor any left over metal particles. The daughter is using the car, so, so far all is okay. Yeah took me almost a year, dealing with parts problems etc. What seals did you use in the variators? I reused the old seals as the ones in the kit, did not seal good at all, they don't have the good lap joint that the originals did. I had to clean the micro metal particles off the seals contact faces. I can tell you a loose harbor freight press is no good for assembling the variator pistons, that was my biggest issue, as well as just a not so great design in that area, it needed way more guiding surface area. Did you change all your transfercase seals? I did, made a special tool for the inner seal pack.
With all the metal in your transmission the Torque converter needs to be opened up to clean it, and that external oil filter dealt with as well as flushing those oil coolers.
If not done the whole project may end up being a total waste of $ and time.
EDITED THE UPDATE

·
Registered
400 Posts
No special thread, I added some of it to this thread.
Redline, that race for the transfer gear looked a bit rough? Did you remove the green seals from the variator bearings and flush the bearings out or are those new? I cleaned and reused mine they were in good shape.
What have you decided to do with the torque converter?
JUST LOOKED I USED 80W-90 IN THE TRANSFERCASE.

·
Registered
400 Posts
@chidog
Did you put up a thread of your project, if so do you have the link to it?
Cheers
I just started one, I'll post more if needed. And if I find more and better pics.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts