Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Murano SL with the SL touring package, does anyone else have this car and if so do they notice how the sunroof does not open as much as it can? I know it is probably not a defect but shouldn't it open more than it does? I have to ask my dealer next time im there, but it is disappointing as hell.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
06platinum-

Don't sweat it. Your problem is not unique. All Murano sunroofs suffer the same problem - they're introverted, afraid to open up.

For whatever reason, Nissan did not design the sunroof to open fully. I am sure there is a logical reason, unfortunately Nissan has not shared it with us.

Enjoy your new car.

-njjoe

·
Registered
324 Posts
06platinum said:
I have a 2006 Murano SL with the SL touring package, does anyone else have this car and if so do they notice how the sunroof does not open as much as it can? I know it is probably not a defect but shouldn't it open more than it does? I have to ask my dealer next time im there, but it is disappointing as hell.
This is not that uncommon, on my CR-V it did not open all the way.
I don't know if it's a Japanese way, but I know I complained about mine on my V
in the beginning, then just got use to it. So when my 06 MO didn't open all the way,
Just mark it up to normal in my book...

The another reason might be if the glass went all the way back, it would eat up the head
room on the back seat, that might be the reason....

·
Registered
545 Posts
quote:
For whatever reason, Nissan did not design the sunroof to open fully. I am sure there is a logical reason, unfortunately Nissan has not shared it with us.

I think it's because Nissan knows how much our heads swell when we become Murano owners. They are probably afraid that we'd try to stick our swelled heads out of the top of the sunroof and not be able to get them back in, resulting in costly lawsuits.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
This was discussed on the forum

Suggest a search to find it. When Murano very first came out it did oipen essentally all the way. There are pictures on the forum showing the two opening distances. There was a change to the motor that opens the sunroof in the the internal limit switch was changed. I suppose you might be able to find a wreck and then open the motor case and change the limit swith position or get one from a early 2003 and swap them..

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yup my 2003 Oct build opens all the way.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"Yup my 2003 Oct build opens all the way."

Did I mention that I hate you? ;)

BTW, did you mean a build of Oct 2002?
My june of 2003 does not open all the way.

Homer

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yup 2002 Oct. measured up with others here years ago during the original sunroof opening debockel.

Sorry.

hfelknor said:
"Yup my 2003 Oct build opens all the way."

Did I mention that I hate you? ;)

BTW, did you mean a build of Oct 2002?
My june of 2003 does not open all the way.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Seems that the "new but not improved" sunroof motor/switches were added sometime between my April 2003 build and Homer's June 2003.

Ironically, I never use my sunroof and could care less if it opens halfway, or all the way. And no, I am not interested in a sunroof motor swap! :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
My, it's been awhile since i posted that same question, August 2004. I've since removed the sunroof winddeflector to get a more open feeling.

Check this thread:

How far does your sunroof open?

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
my 03 opens all the way.... i believe its oct 02 manufacture since the warranty start date on it is may 03

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
My 03 opens all the way... Feb 02 manufacture date. I'll trade you the full open sunroof for the cool new instrument cluster and grill from your 06. :4:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"i believe its oct 02 manufacture since the warranty start date on it is may 03"

hasaanbhutta the build date is located in the driver door well, down near the bottom.

Homer

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
So if you want it wayyy open it off to the salavage yards

web sites and then the factory manual for instruction on the removal and installation.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Perhaps us early adopters can get top dollar for our MO's since we have the best sunroofs.

Open all the way it drowns out the creaks. LOL

·
Registered
470 Posts
dmako said:

Open all the way it drowns out the creaks. LOL
My 2005 doesn't have any creaks so maybe that is why my sunroof doesn't need to open all the way !! I have no problem with the way the sunroof opens and assume if it opened further it would only cause more noise and buffeting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Guys, the lease on my 2003 Mo just ended, and I got a brand new 2006 SL w/Touring two days ago. For two days, I've had both cars and could compare the opening of the sunroof on both of them, as 4.5' of the sunroof sticking out on a new one was simply annoying.
So, I measured 2.5' big "lip" on the old one, that's 2' difference!
Well, I did go back to the dealer complaining about it.
What the service guys did was opening another brand new SL on their lot, proving to me that all of the new fleet has the same exact problem.
Guys, I don't believe that no one could find out how to adjust the motor to work slightly longer and hide at least 2 more inches of the sunroof! It is really defective, but it's hard to expect a recall from Nissan on that matter.
I have to add that everything else on the new model is mind blowing compared to my old 2003, the ride is MUCH better, all of those new features (graphics, mp3 player, LEDs, security system) are just awesome, the car matured a lot over the course of the last 3 years. I also love my new color, Platinum (had Midnight Blue before)!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'd like to know why they did it. Perhaps a valid reason.

Bet it's just a plunger switch up under the headliner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts