Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Murano S, with 134,000 miles. The engine was running fine until this morning. I passed a slow moving vehicle, and then immediately the car started sputtering and shaking. I was barely able to pull over before it died. I tried to start it, and it would start, but die a couple seconds later. I had to walk about a mile the rest of the way to work. This evening, I went to the car and tried it again, and it would run for longer, able to actually rev the engine and even move it a few feet before it died. I gave up for the night. Someone suggested a fuel filter, or perhaps a fuel pump. It does kinda feel like it's not getting enough gas to keep it running. It has a half a tank of gas in it. I read that the filter is part of the pump assembly. Any idea if it is the pump before I spend $150 for a new pump and change it beside the road tomorrow? And yes, I saw a video on how to take the lock ring off and back on without using the special Nissan tool. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge and didn't even see a place under the engine cover to hook one up, either. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a 2007 Murano S, with 134,000 miles. The engine was running fine until this morning. I passed a slow moving vehicle, and then immediately the car started sputtering and shaking. I was barely able to pull over before it died. I tried to start it, and it would start, but die a couple seconds later. I had to walk about a mile the rest of the way to work. This evening, I went to the car and tried it again, and it would run for longer, able to actually rev the engine and even move it a few feet before it died. I gave up for the night. Someone suggested a fuel filter, or perhaps a fuel pump. It does kinda feel like it's not getting enough gas to keep it running. It has a half a tank of gas in it. I read that the filter is part of the pump assembly. Any idea if it is the pump before I spend $150 for a new pump and change it beside the road tomorrow? And yes, I saw a video on how to take the lock ring off and back on without using the special Nissan tool. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge and didn't even see a place under the engine cover to hook one up, either. Thanks for any help.
Your symptoms do point to a filter/fuel pump issue. A fuel pressure test is the only way to know for sure.

If you are in the habit of running your fuel down to 1/8 of a tank, you've put quite a bit of strain on the pump over the years and will have more worn then normal. All cars at that level are picking up air during normal driving.

Myself, I would take the risk and change out the fuel pump. At 134,000 miles, you have nothing to lose.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"If you are in the habit of running your fuel down to 1/8 of a tank, you've put quite a bit of strain on the pump over the years and will have more worn than normal. All cars at that level are picking up air during normal driving."

I don't usually, but I just had this car for 4 months. No idea what the previous owners did.

UPDATE! It was dark when the car broke down, dark when I went back to it, and left it beside the road overnight. Next day bought a new fuel pump, installed it, and it acted the same. About two weeks ago, had the oil changed at a quick lube place. Guy showed me the filter, asked if I wanted it replaced. I said I would do it myself later. Several days later, bought a filter myself but hadn't installed it yet. While sitting there pissed off that the new fuel pump didn't help, decided to replace the old dirty air filter so that it might breathe easier.

I found out that the air hose between the engine and the mass air flow sensor had come loose, something I didn't notice in the dark earlier. I replaced the air filter, put the hoses back together, and it runs fine now. I'm kinda pissed off at having to spend $160 when I didn't have to, but at 134,000 miles figure it would need it eventually...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
T
"If you are in the habit of running your fuel down to 1/8 of a tank, you've put quite a bit of strain on the pump over the years and will have more worn than normal. All cars at that level are picking up air during normal driving."

I don't usually, but I just had this car for 4 months. No idea what the previous owners did.

UPDATE! It was dark when the car broke down, dark when I went back to it, and left it beside the road overnight. Next day bought a new fuel pump, installed it, and it acted the same. About two weeks ago, had the oil changed at a quick lube place. Guy showed me the filter, asked if I wanted it replaced. I said I would do it myself later. Several days later, bought a filter myself but hadn't installed it yet. While sitting there pissed off that the new fuel pump didn't help, decided to replace the old dirty air filter so that it might breathe easier.

I found out that the air hose between the engine and the mass air flow sensor had come loose, something I didn't notice in the dark earlier. I replaced the air filter, put the hoses back together, and it runs fine now. I'm kinda pissed off at having to spend $160 when I didn't have to, but at 134,000 miles figure it would need it eventually...
THANK YOU for posting this! I JUST bought my car yesterday through private sale, and she was running like a dream, and today on the way to DMV to register it, she wouldn’t stay started. I was beyond pissed thinking I got taken by the seller, but after reading your post, we figured out that Jiffy Lube failed to reattach the air filter box when I had the oil changed yesterday! Thank you so much for your update!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts