·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another MO clone...........

Production Confirmed for Mazda MX-Crossport
24 May, 2005

All-new model to be named Mazda CX-7
Mazda Motor Corporation has announced that the MX-Crossport concept car, which debuted earlier this year at the 2005 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Mich., will move from concept to production vehicle.

The company also confirmed that the vehicle will be named Mazda CX-7.

Featured at a number of global auto shows in the past few months, the MX-Crossport has received high-praise from the public for its Zoom-Zoom exterior styling and driver-oriented interior. The production version, which will be built in Japan, will pick up many of the concept car’s design themes when it goes into production in 2006.

It will be launched first in North America and Mazda will continue to study launch feasibility in other global markets, including Australia, where the CX-7, if available, would sit alongside Tribute, expanding Mazda’s SUV line-up.

“Mazda President Hisakazu Imaki is committed to bringing new products to market and expanding our line of vehicles,” said Jim O’Sullivan, president and CEO, Mazda North American Operations. “The addition of the Mazda CX-7 is great news and a critical step forward for us in North America. To successfully grow our business, we have to be true to our core values and for any vehicle to wear the Winged-M logo on the grille, it must have the soul of a sports car. I am convinced this vehicle will deliver.”

In Mazda’s new global naming strategy, crossover-type, sport utility vehicles will carry the CX designation — as in Mazda CX-7; rotary-engined sports cars carry the RX designation (RX-8) and piston-engined sports cars carry the MX designation, such as MX-5.

Core production vehicles will continue to carry the name ‘Mazda’ and a number, based on vehicle size (Mazda2, Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6); Tribute, MPV and B-Series will continue with their current nomenclature until further notice.

Mazda North American Operations is responsible for the sales and marketing, customer parts and service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States. Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., MNAO has more than 700 dealerships nationwide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Looks nice. I wonder what the powertrain will be.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Most likely it will be powered by the ford V6 engine...

I forget, the name is either the duratec or the ecotec engine. Since every one is going 3.5L, i bet this is going to be the capacity of the V6 in this CX-7.

I also belive that this CX-7 will be built on the same platform as the MAZDA6...and it will share the same AWD technology MAZDA going to put in the upcoming 2006 MAZDASPEED MAZDA6....

Personally, I like the CX-7. Perhaps I will have 2 MAzda in my garage in 2008: a Miata and this CX-7 :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Most likely it will be powered by the ford V6 engine...

SugarRushMurano said:
I forget, the name is either the duratec or the ecotec engine. Since every one is going 3.5L, i bet this is going to be the capacity of the V6 in this CX-7.

I also belive that this CX-7 will be built on the same platform as the MAZDA6...and it will share the same AWD technology MAZDA going to put in the upcoming 2006 MAZDASPEED MAZDA6....

Personally, I like the CX-7. Perhaps I will have 2 MAzda in my garage in 2008: a Miata and this CX-7 :rolleyes:
Ford's Duratech35 won't be ready for at least a year and a half, probably not in time for the 2006 CX-7. I'm guessing it will have the 3.0 initially, or possibly the 2.3L I4 turbo from the upcoming Mazdaspeed6 (that would be a blast).

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I agree Gonzo.
It almost looks like Gen II Murano.

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
I like the look. And the interior is not bad either. In time I need to change the Murano there will be plenty of cars on the market to choose from. I am not sure if I go for crossover though. I do miss performance, handling, the feel of a RWD sedan…..

Ford’s V6 is 3.0L Duratec. I used to have it in my Taurus. Not bad engine, designed and built by Yokohama I believe. A little bit harsh though.

·
4,664 Posts
You never know what the future will bring.... I hated the looks of the current Maxima, which drove me to re-evaluate what I wanted, all over again. That's how I landed in the Murano.

Nissan will redesign the Murano, so i'm curious to see how it's going to look in the future. If they trash the design, I'll be looking around again. Maybe a cool looking station wagon that's got great reviews and a nice V8. Or maybe they'll redo the FX and it will catch my eye.

It's so hard to know!

Not bad for a Ford, though. Er, I mean Mazda.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Does those tires on the CX-7 as shown really exist? Those look great... I wonder how they would look on the MO.

I've been searching heavily on the web for anything about the 2006 MO.... the only thing I can find is the interior has changed slightly. I'm curious if anything on the exterial will change. I sure wish they would sell a black front grill. I would love to replace the chrome with a black on mine.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The former Taurus SHO engine was developed by Yamaha, not the Duratech (which was originally developed for the European market I think in 2.5L form). A similar Yamaha sourced V8 engine powers the Volvo XC90.

I think the production CX-7 will be considerably toned down from the photos, esp the interior. I think it will look like a Mazda 6 inside, which isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Hey wait a minute.... what are they trying to pull... the rear door has not handles! Now I know from the complaints here about the single door lock on the MO that this will be problematic for us. :p

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Gonzo said:
Hey wait a minute.... what are they trying to pull... the rear door has not handles! Now I know from the complaints here about the single door lock on the MO that this will be problematic for us. :p
The concept probably had electric rear door switches. Like I wrote, the production version will be toned down, so don't get too excited about the CX-7 until the actual production version debuts.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree, it's nicer looking than the current MO.

My daughter in law just got a new Mazada 6 sedan, (V6 auto) about six months ago. It is a very nice looking vehicle, inside and out.

The drive train however is something else. I couldn't imagaine driving something that coarse feeling (engine and tranny combination) myself, regardless of the package they put it in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the looks of it a lot. I'm sure it'll be toned down, especially the interior. I'm imagining it will be like the Nissan Dunehawk concept that became the current pathfinder. They kept the shape for production, but toned down and with a completely different interior. If this truck had stayed the same into production I would own one now...

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2003_fms_dunehawk/

If they put a decent powertrain in this thing it would be very stiff competition.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I am sorry folks, but I don't see anything nice about the exterior looks of this. Front is MDX, rear is RX, no handles on the rear door...it is a death trap!

The only thing that looks nice IMO is the interior, and that is because it looks like the MO.....:2:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Really I like it... nice fenders I like the black grill and the rims are also pretty nice too. Well to each their own. I wonder which would do better off the line, the MO or the CX-7.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts