Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Nissan Murano SL

Replaced the serpentine belt not long ago, which stopped the screeching for a bit. However, it's back now and worse than before. Had a friend tell me either the alternator belt pulley or the water pump is going. I put off doing the repairs for a few days cause I needed the car to run some errands but when I was driving back into the city the car started jerking pretty bad and sort of felt like it was losing power. I didn't want to pay for a tow so I pulled over for a bit, let it cool off then started it back up and tried to make my way home. The jerking was pretty bad at first but then sort of got better as I drove, until I eventually didnt really even notice it anymore..

Could these problems be related? Im just praying it's not my transmission that's going now. I really cant afford to make any large repairs at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
8,580 Posts
Most likely candidate for the screech is the idler pulley. But that sounds like a secondary issue.

Jerking can mean many things. Was the engine running smoothly, but the vehicle only moving in jerks? Was the engine stalling, causing the jerks?

Were any dash lights illuminated, which might indicate a battery or charge problem?

And if you suspect the transmission, have you checked the fluid level? For that matter, has any work or fluid changes been done on the transmission?

Fill us in and maybe we'll have some helpful ideas.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,098 Posts
2007 Nissan Murano SL

Replaced the serpentine belt not long ago, which stopped the screeching for a bit. However, it's back now and worse than before. Had a friend tell me either the alternator belt pulley or the water pump is going. I put off doing the repairs for a few days cause I needed the car to run some errands but when I was driving back into the city the car started jerking pretty bad and sort of felt like it was losing power. I didn't want to pay for a tow so I pulled over for a bit, let it cool off then started it back up and tried to make my way home. The jerking was pretty bad at first but then sort of got better as I drove, until I eventually didnt really even notice it anymore..

Could these problems be related? Im just praying it's not my transmission that's going now. I really cant afford to make any large repairs at the moment.
When you replaced the drive belt did you thoroughly inspect all the pulleys to make sure the bearings aren't worn? Also, a loose belt could cause charging system problems, which could result in driveability issues like jerking so you would want to double-check that the tension on the belts is within specification.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most likely candidate for the screech is the idler pulley. But that sounds like a secondary issue.

Jerking can mean many things. Was the engine running smoothly, but the vehicle only moving in jerks? Was the engine stalling, causing the jerks?

Were any dash lights illuminated, which might indicate a battery or charge problem?

And if you suspect the transmission, have you checked the fluid level? For that matter, has any work or fluid changes been done on the transmission?

Fill us in and maybe we'll have some helpful ideas.
It was a little difficult to tell what was the culprit because I could hear some noise below me coming from the muffler/tail pipe system when I pressed down on the gas but the engine didn't sound particularly healthy either. Even when idle.

Fluid levels are fine. I mentioned the transmission because I had trouble with the transmission on another car where it had trouble shifting into lower gears. It sort felt like that on the Murano (but not exactly).

I cant comment on the dashboard because it wasn't working at the time. It shorts out from time to time and then sporadically comes back to life (another issue for another thread lol).

I called my mechanic and he said he'd be able to take a look at it tonight and get back to me tomorrow afternoon. If he isn't able to sort it out I will let you know what he says and post some videos when I get it back.

SIDE NOTE: It starts up without any problems. Ive never had any battery issues or charging problems with the car in the past.

Appreciate the help !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you replaced the drive belt did you thoroughly inspect all the pulleys to make sure the bearings aren't worn? Also, a loose belt could cause charging system problems, which could result in driveability issues like jerking so you would want to double-check that the tension on the belts is within specification.
I didn't. The mechanic was the one who changed the belt. He told me everything looked good when he returned it, but im not sure how thoroughly he inspected it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We had a bearing go bad in the alternator pulley that would seize so bad the belt would just go around it and smoke.
That pulley screeched pretty bad when it was dying. Just a recommendation for your mechanic to check out while he’s in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts