Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Muranoians I need your help. I have a 2007 Murano Awd. Has about 150,000 and has had transmission replaced by Ammco still under warranty. Started off a year ago making a knocking/thumping noise front randomly but always from a taking off from a complete stop. Would knock/thump a couple times and go away. Felt like front right but could feel it underneath. Axles right. Took it to my local shop replaced axles still same problem. Took to another shop wheel hubs oh of course why didn't I think of that go ahead and replace them guess what problem still there. Well maybe 3rd shop is charm took it there said the passenger side axle is bad so still being under warranty took it back to first shop they replaced the passenger axle with another advanced auto parts axle same problem. So 4th shop says it's in the transmission so off to Ammco I go after many test by Ammco not in transmission. Ammco seemed to think it was something in the communications of the vehicle as they said everything up front looked good and tight. So I take it to Nissan and we are back to the axles. Wanting me to buy OEM NISSAN axles for $695 + labor and taxes without guarantee the problem will be fixed. Nissan also said everything up front looked right and good and tight but said alot of times those advanced auto parts cardone cv axles aren't balanced properly. I've replaced axles, hubs (replaced twice as was told forsure thats the problem by two separate shops),, rotors, brakes, struts, transmission, spark plugs and boots, and I'm sure more. New baby on Christmas Eve money is tight and truck is having the same issue it did before all the money dumped into it. Please please help I can post a video of what it's doing tomorrow after i pick it up from Nissan tomorrow evening. Any feedback will be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
You have an expensive way of troubleshooting your problem. Parts swapping. Most of the time axles only makes noise when the boot is torn and all the grease has sprayed allover. You then get a clicking sound when turning when the cv joint goes bad. Wheel bearing on the other gives out a humming/grinding sound that gets louder when moving. You can hear it more when going down a straight road and putting your gear to neutral to lessen the engine noise.

Knocking or thumping sound from stop is more of a suspension problem like the LCA bushings/ball joints. Visual inspection is usually enough if its really bad. The engine mounts is another candidate for that. One test is by putting the engine on Drive and stepping on the gas and brakes at the same time (also with the emergency brake engaged) - the car should not move. With the hood up, another person looking into the engine, checking for noise and movement from the engine. If you find the engine move up/down a lot or make noise then one or more mount/s probably bad. The last possible could be the struts - the upper part where its mounted. Noise on this usually comes out when turning and its more on the top part of the hood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm taking the vehicle to local shops and these are the things they are telling me whats wrong. I've had it at a family members house multiple times on the lift underneath it vehicle lifted in drive tires spinning can't make it reproduce sound no matter what while in the air. The control arms, bushings, ball joints are all good and tight. Motor mounts are good. Struts are good. I'm not the one just guessing what the problem is I'm taking it to legit shops and then even a Nissan dealer. I've also put cameras looking at axles control arms struts all that and while driving an issue present dont see nothing. To me it sounds like something isn't balanced or in a bind. Also while driving if put into neutral and let off gas problem still present. Its been to 5 shops something normal it would of done been fixed. It's something outside of normal.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Are you serious? With that noise, and nobody can't figure out where its coming from? Did they even test drove it? Best to put all 4 on jack stands and then put it on drive. Go under and listen where the noise is coming from. TC or the propeller shaft are possibles here.

I doubt aamco rebuilt your old transmission. If they did then I would say its the CVT. Nobody really rebuilds those CVT reliably. Its a swap with a used or remanufactured one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They have all test drove it. My neighbor/uncle owns a muffler shop with a lift and its been up on it numberous times it wont make that noise while lifted in gear. Ammco charged me $3500 to do the transmission I cant say 100% they rebuilt it or bought a rebuilt one and put in it. Although thats what they told me they rebuilt it. When I stopped Nissan the day after they had it because at first thats when they said it'd be ready they had it all pulled apart and took two more days to tell me its the axle thats done been replaced with 2 remanufactured ones said everything else checked out good and all the work done to it has been done with good workmanship. Ammco had it for a week after Brandenburg Auto Clinic told me it was in the transmission and also when I popped in unexpectedly had it on the rack and someone working on it. Ammco said everything looks fine thats why they think its something to do with the communications of the vehicle. At the beginning it first went to Barr Automotive down here they said axles and replaced them along with the wheel hubs. After that didnt fix it took it to Brown Automotive said they had no idea where its coming from or why. Mostly because it wont do it while lifted which is saying if theres no weight on the suspension it wont knock. Also does it when driving putting into neutral and turning engine off so its not an engine issue. Im going to go to pull a part myself and pull a oem Nissan axle and try that and see if its actually the case. The guy at Nissan was an older man whom said hes been working on Nissans for 35 years ans felt bad due to the amount of money ive got tied up into it didnt charge me the $129.99 inspection fee so hopefully he is right.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Ok, lets start over, what lights are lit up on your dash? I see the ABS.

Its possible they damaged one or both front speed sensors when replacing the hub assembly. Did you check that? That could explain the ABS light.

What does aamco mean saying has something to do with the communication? I don't trust aamco regarding cvts. When did they do the work? Its possible they missed tightening a bolt or nut? Not sure, but, I think you need nissan to reflash the computer with a new transmission.

Its along the drive train and the noise seems loudest right under the gear shifter. That is where your CVT and TC and propeller shaft is located. Do you hear any noise from the rear part of your car? If not, then the rear differential can be eliminated from the equation. Do you feel strong vibrations along with the noise?

Its hard to say if I don't see it for myself. Random thought, check the idler pulley bracket. Its known to break and can make some noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The front driver side speed sensor got broke when changing the hub didn't realize it until they got it all put back together and wanted to charge me labor to fix it. Thats something simple I can do myself and the problem was there before that happened. It actually broke the second time they replaced that hub. That's a good question about reflashing the computer when transmission got changed I'll have to call Nissan and ask tomorrow if they say yes I'll have to call Ammco and see if they did and if not make them do it for free. The communications they was talking about was some sensor they said they would have to dig into it and charge me $98.00 a hour until they figure it out. I don't feel strong vibrations but can feel a small vibration. I can't really tell where its loudest at to me sounds like the front right but everybody who looks at it has a different opinion. I'm thinking about just going putting it on the lift and going thru it good for as long as it takes until i figure it out. Just sucks because we just had a newborn baby Christmas Eve and that's the vehicle my wife uses while I'm at work.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Most likely transfer case. Other option: suspension. If it happens while driving slowly on a level road, it's not suspension.

None of the things you've done (if I followed the story) are related to the transfer case. By a process of elimination, I think you have pointed to it.

I agree that putting it on a lift and having someone operate it while someone else is underneath should make it possible to find the noise, possibly using an automotive stethoscope ($10) on the transfer case. Shifting and starting/stopping the drivetrain would be needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like it could be the problem. Im going to put it on the lift probably in the next day or to and put the stethoscope on the transfer case. Thanks for the help ill update soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Stan,
Dont know if this will be of any help but I too had a light Klunk sound take off, stops and occasionally even when pulling in somewhere that I needed to really turn the wheels. Eventually (5 yrs) Finally figured out it was the front drivers side sway bar! About 30 bucks, quick fix, & I was back on the road with no klunks! I hope its that easy and inexpensive for you.
btw
my 2007 also needed front end work and they broke off the speed sensor. Since they broke it, they really should have replaced it completely free of charge. Though I might add, once that old they are near impossible at times to get them out and re-installed unharmed.
Hope your worries are over soon!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts