Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this issue?? Any kind a recall for this or anything to do besides having it painted? Just started a few months ago and it looks very bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone else have this issue?? Any kind a recall for this or anything to do besides having it painted? Just started a few months ago and it looks very bad.
Yes I'm having a bad problem it's getting worse and apparently they used water based paint and refuse to do a recall.
IMG_20200810_171926_716.jpg
IMG_20200810_171926_716.jpg

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My '03 had great paint. It was as shiny as the day I bought it 16 years later when I traded it in. I never even had to wax it, just a wash & wax product.

I'm just guessing, but based on your photos it kind of looks like something caustic splashed onto those areas at some point in time...

Have you had the car since new? How many miles are on it?

Are there similar spots on the roof or other areas of your Murano?

·
Registered
7 Posts
No nothing has been splattered on any of it.... and yes the top is the same way.. you already know the water based paint is a joke..

·
Super Moderator
8,439 Posts
Using water-based paint is nothing new, it has been around for a long time. It has been widely used to reduce volatile emissions.

A first generation Murano is old enough that almost anything could have caused paint loss, although that one seems to have the kind of patchy paint failure I see on a lot of domestic trucks painted white.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
My 04 roof and hood clear coat has been Peeling/flaking off like a sun burn for the past few years now. Lol.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
What color is your Murano @nitely?

I wonder if it's certain colors that have the issue... My '03 was silver, and it looked as good as new after 16 years of ownership. Underneath my Murano was another story, that's where my rust problem woes were... A totally rusted out front subframe.

Decades ago silver paint jobs were notorious for oxidizing away to the primer coat before clear-coat came along I think.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There is a lot more than what you see and it's even on the inside parts that people don't see...
Can you post some photos of those areas too?

·
Super Moderator
8,439 Posts
The fact is that on an older car, there's really no recourse. For some reason certain colors of paint age worse than others. It stinks to have to do a repaint, but to the OP, that's probably where you are. Excellent body prep in those patches will provide a better repaint job.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
What color is your Murano @nitely?

I wonder if it's certain colors that have the issue... My '03 was silver, and it looked as good as new after 16 years of ownership. Underneath my Murano was another story, that's where my rust problem woes were... A totally rusted out front subframe.

Decades ago silver paint jobs were notorious for oxidizing away to the primer coat before clear-coat came along I think.
Black. No body rust here in Vegas. The sides are ok it’s the hood and roof thats getting the brunt of the UV rays. I don’t know if it’s more intense here or it’s just a bad paint job. Or after so many years its just how it goes?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yeah, I think any paint would suffer a bit from all that heat and UV after a decade and a half of exposure in Vegas. I'd take paint problems over my rusted subframe any day though. My Murano looked pretty new inside and out otherwise after 16 years, it was garaged kept other than when at work, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2003 polished pewter MO lived its first 12 years in SoCal, and now resides in the Northeast and the paint is still amazing-looking as when I first boguht it.

Tiffany, it really sucks to see that level of peeling/burnt-off paint on such a beautiful car.

Here are some shots of my MO taken this month. I love this color. It never seems to look dirty. The current paint problem aside for the above people, the worst thing Nissan ever did to MO was place that uigly "clown nose" on her rear hatch. It was the very first modification I did within a week of buying her...I removed that ugly badge. Looks much better to see that angle/bevel beneath the glass. Reminds me of an aerial vuew of The Great Pyramids.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts