Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I am new here so bare with me lol I picked up a 2008 murano last night, picked it up from London (I live in the UK btw) and drove it around 200 miles home (no problems)

Drove it to work this morning (no problems) - I go to leave work this evening and it won't move AT ALL.

Car goes into D/R/N/P no problem and revs in each gear no issues at all but won't move an inch!!

Engine management light came on, I only had a small fault code reader to hand so didn't give much information just said solenoid something & speed sensor fault, I erased the faults in the hope it was just in limp but cars completely dead and won't move at all!

I am desperate for some help here, will it be an expensive repair?

Thank you for all replies in advance!

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
The car is dead would mean the engine doesn't start - that does not sound like the problem.

Is the transmission engaging at all? You should be able to feel it. Does it feel like it's under load when in D and you accelerate, or does the engine rev freely with no load on it?

A sudden change like this is (IMO) more likely to be electrical than mechanical. The transmission is electronically switched, so if something went wrong or a wire broke in the shifter, you might not be engaging the transmission by moving the shifter.

Either way, unless you're a good DIY type, you're in for a shop visit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine starts and runs great no issues! I've just noticed that the P & N image on the little screen has a line boarder around it however when I put it in D or R that boarder disappears if that gives you any indication of what could be the problem.

Well when you put in drive you can feel it trying to engage but revs freely without effect, noice changes throughout the changes of P to D as well.

I am not the greatest at DIY (at least I can admit it) but really won't to avoid a heavy Nissan bill!

Thanks Pilgrim!

The car is dead would mean the engine doesn't start - that does not sound like the problem.

Is the transmission engaging at all? You should be able to feel it. Does it feel like it's under load when in D and you accelerate, or does the engine rev freely with no load on it?

A sudden change like this is (IMO) more likely to be electrical than mechanical. The transmission is electronically switched, so if something went wrong or a wire broke in the shifter, you might not be engaging the transmission by moving the shifter.

Either way, unless you're a good DIY type, you're in for a shop visit.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Are you sure it's a 2008? I'm pretty sure nissan skipped that year until they came out with a second gen Murano in 2009.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Toby, it sounds to me like the transmission isn't engaging. If it were, it wouldn't rev freely, you'd only be able to rev up to about 3K RPM before the engine would stall.

My advice is to get it to a shop. Once you have a diagnosis, YOU can decide whether to turn that shop loose on it or not.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
That CEL light is very important. You should have wrote down what it was. You need that code.

You should only be able to rev the engine at P or N. D or R should engage the transmission not rev up.

If you are lucky its only the neutral safety switch. But probably not. Sounds more serious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did anyone ever figure his one out? Is it actually CVT Failure??

My story...

Driving down the highway at about 65-70mph, the rpm needle suddenly bounced and i lost the ability to accelerate. the car did not turn off. i coasted to a stop on the side of the road.. I turned the car off. i turned he car back on with no issue. I put the car in drive, and didn't feel it engage the "gear." I pressed on the gas and then rpms moved accordingly..but the car didn't move. I tried L and reverse with he same problem. the care will start and run just fine. But I can't put it in gear. i had to have i towed to he closest Nissan dealership. I did not check any fuses and there were no lights other than the SES light that was already on for a high idle warning which I knew i needed to get "relearned" at the dealership. (I had the sparkplugs and one coil replaced a couple of weeks ago).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever figure his one out? Is it actually CVT Failure??

My story...

Driving down the highway at about 65-70mph, the rpm needle suddenly bounced and i lost the ability to accelerate. the car did not turn off. i coasted to a stop on the side of the road.. I turned the car off. i turned he car back on with no issue. I put the car in drive, and didn't feel it engage the "gear." I pressed on the gas and then rpms moved accordingly..but the car didn't move. I tried L and reverse with he same problem. the care will start and run just fine. But I can't put it in gear. i had to have i towed to he closest Nissan dealership. I did not check any fuses and there were no lights other than the SES light that was already on for a high idle warning which I knew i needed to get "relearned" at the dealership. (I had the sparkplugs and one coil replaced a couple of weeks ago).
Hi, I had the exact experience with a Nissan Serena last week. A scan shows error codes P0746 and P0868. Can you say how your issue turned out? Did you have to replace the transmission?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hi, I had the exact experience with a Nissan Serena last week. A scan shows error codes P0746 and P0868. Can you say how your issue turned out? Did you have to replace the transmission?

Thank you.
If you have P0868 you will be needing a new CVT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys! I am new here so bare with me lol I picked up a 2008 murano last night, picked it up from London (I live in the UK btw) and drove it around 200 miles home (no problems)

Drove it to work this morning (no problems) - I go to leave work this evening and it won't move AT ALL.

Car goes into D/R/N/P no problem and revs in each gear no issues at all but won't move an inch!!

Engine management light came on, I only had a small fault code reader to hand so didn't give much information just said solenoid something & speed sensor fault, I erased the faults in the hope it was just in limp but cars completely dead and won't move at all!

I am desperate for some help here, will it be an expensive repair?

Thank you for all replies in advance!
Sounds like its your transmission.. The transmission is known to go out on these muranos

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
mshyde4life
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing