Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here - looking at a 2012 SL AWD with 123K miles for $8000 OTD - good deal? includes TT&L

Concerned tho about the CVT tranny - first thing I would do is swap the fluid - but....I want to keep this vehicle long term - but a little scared of the CVT rebuild cost. I know some Muranos had the warranty extended to 10yr/120K but the 2012 wasn't included.

thanks for any help

PS - other vehicle I was looking at - 2012 Ford Escape V6 AWD 98K $6900 OTD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought 2010 Murano LE with 125K miles for $5700 (TTL included).

It was cheap because right front CV axle boot is torn and couple spots in dash has noticeable cracks,
but otherwise, the car is fully loaded and drives wonderfully.

But, based on Nissan's history, the CVT was and is still my biggest concern as well.
To overcome this fear, I've done this:

1. I searched nationwide for high mileage 2nd gen (2009-2014) Muranos, and was able to find
many over 150K miles and even over 200K as well. I have no way of knowing if they had replaced CVT,
but this gives me some assurance that not all CVT will fail early.

2. With $5700 invested, if I can get 2-3 years to 150K - 160K miles before CVT fails,
I would still consider it worthwhile experience driving this nice SUV, and I can probably fetch
$1K to $2K on remaining parts.

3. I like to follow all maintenance schedules like a clock to take care of my cars.
I also don't beat up on the car. I intend to drive this car carefully and not put unnecessary strain on the CVT.
AFter CV axle, I plan to replace CVT and axle fluids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drive 2012 Murano SL, original owner, about 200 KM. Bought the car in late 2011

Most reliable car I’ve ever owned. (Had 7-8 previous long term cars)
I have had zero problems with the car. Haven’t even changed lightbulbs (other than fog lights )

I change oil and filter religiously
Tranny oil changed twice already
Spark plugs replaced at 170 KM (instant improvement in MPG )
Radiator fluid replaced at 150KM
Batteries last 3-4 years max

All milage is city, I pull 3000 lbs boat in summer.

I’m trading my Murano for an EV , the price of gas where live is close to $5 per gallon.
I will miss it
It does everything I’ve ever wanted in a car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey bud,

I have roughly 380k km on my car or over 235k miles.

My CVT died about 10k miles ago. I have a 2009 and apparently the early designs of the CVT use a ball bearing design behind one of the pulleys which wears out because they're ball bearings rubbing metal on metal. Lubrication from oil and changes of oil is important but apparently only reduces the chance of that breaking but not eliminate it. The newer designs of the CVT among other things, replace those ball bearing cylinders with actual shafts to keep the ball bearings housed, thus preventing a stuck pully.

I had mine taken apart, rebuilt with all new parts including pulleys, belts, oil obviousuly, and valve body. about $2500 canadian later and it's running again. Any other major issues with this car though and I'm dumping it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
258K before my CVT died

I have a 2009 SL bought brand new. This has been a very good and very comfortable car, My CVT suddenly died last week, It had 258K miles on it. I like the car so well that I am biting the built and having the dealer install a new CVT for $3800. It's a good quiet car the rides very well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2009 SL. My CVT went out at 158k. Replaced it with a reman CVT with 300k mile warranty for $4000

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi JMartinrrrr, Jwicke4,

Thanks for posting your experince.

I have very low mileage (85k miles/136k Kms) on my 2007 MO. I bought it from a 2nd owner. Very nice car fully loaded and want to keep it as long as I can.
I live in Calgary, Canada and it gets really cold during winters. During the last winter (few months back), I started seeing some hesitation when starting from cold.
Also, at times, it is not shifting normally and the engine RPM goes high and is unable to transfer power to the axle.
During the last service visit to the dealership they pulled a dreaded code P1778 from the TCM, which is hinting malfunction of the stepper motor inside the CVT.

Martinrrrr - Can you please share the dealer location details on your new $3800 CVT. It seems like a good price for new tranny. Is it all-in price with parts and labor ?
Jwicke4 - Same request from you. Appreciate if you can provide more details (your service location etc.,) on your re-man CVT.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi JMartinrrrr, Jwicke4,

Thanks for posting your experince.

I have very low mileage (85k miles/136k Kms) on my 2007 MO. I bought it from a 2nd owner. Very nice car fully loaded and want to keep it as long as I can.

I live in Calgary, Canada and it gets really cold during winters. During the last winter (few months back), I started seeing some hesitation when starting from cold.

Also, at times, it is not shifting normally and the engine RPM goes high and is unable to transfer power to the axle.

During the last service visit to the dealership they pulled a dreaded code P1778 from the TCM, which is hinting malfunction of the stepper motor inside the CVT.

Martinrrrr - Can you please share the dealer location details on your new $3800 CVT. It seems like a good price for new tranny. Is it all-in price with parts and labor ?

Jwicke4 - Same request from you. Appreciate if you can provide more details (your service location etc.,) on your re-man CVT.
I work in Clarksville Tenn. The dealer that is doing the cvt replacement is Mathews Nissan. They called to tell me the bad news yesterday about the cvt. The $3800 was their verbal quote. I have not been called to pick it up yet so I don't know the exact cost, although their specific out the door cost was $3800, so hopefully that will be accurate .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey M4gician,

That seems like a challenging job to rip and replace CVT parts. All this for such low price of 2500 CAD (US$ 1850) !!!!
Although they pulled TCM code P1778 which is stepper motor issue, my Nissan dealer has told me to replace the CVT with a new one at their estimated price of 5,500 CAD...

I am looking for someone who can replace just the stepper motor while assuring original performance confidently...
Did you get your CVT rebuilt by someone outside ?
Also, I think you are lucky to find some one to rebuild the tranny for you in the first place, as I tried some shops around in Calgary and they flatly refused to rebuild anything with Nissan CVTs.
Almost all told it is too complex and needs very specialized knowledge and tools...Dunno if this true as I am not a mech/tech.

Appreciate any advise which can help me...

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey M4gician,

That seems like a challenging job to rip and replace CVT parts. All this for such low price of 2500 CAD (US$ 1850) !!!!
Although they pulled TCM code P1778 which is stepper motor issue, my Nissan dealer has told me to replace the CVT with a new one at their estimated price of 5,500 CAD...

I am looking for someone who can replace just the stepper motor while assuring original performance confidently...
Also, I think you are lucky to find some one to rebuild the tranny for you in the first place, as I tried some shops around in Calgary and they flatly refused to rebuild anything with Nissan CVTs.
Almost all told it is too complex and needs very specialized knowledge and tools...Dunno if this true as I am not a mech/tech.

Thanks
You're in Calgary? The shop i went to was in Toronto. Great shop. too bad because they'd be perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey M4gician,

Thanks
I replaced the stepper motor on my 2012 Nissan Murano myself. I bought the part on Amazon -
CVT Transmission Stepper Motor for Nissan Versa Tilda Latio 06 JF009E RE0F08A RE0F08B JF010E RE0F09A RE0F09B

Stepper motor and new transmission fluid costs me about $125 US$. It took me about 90 minutes. After you drain the transmission fluid, remove the pan, the stepper motor is very visible and easily removed - two screws and electrical cable disconnect. Just reassemble. I have about 15K miles on the new stepper motor and no issues whatsoever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
dghu1123
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing