Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Also what is the unit circled in the diagram and what does it do?
It's one of the Variable Intake Air System (VIAS) actuators and is vacuum-operated by a solenoid based on engine speed. The upper intake plenum has two sets of intake runners--long and short. At lower RPMs, the longer runners are used which allows for increased torque (better acceleration) and at higher RPMs the actuator switches so that air is sucked through the shorter set of runners for maximum engine power.

The VIAS actuators are considered part of the intake plenum although they can be removed, but I've never seen those for sale by themselves. If you can JB Weld it then it should be fine as long as you can make it air-tight.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Thanks I need coffee. I couldn't find anything about the system on the internet. So this doesn't seem like something that would cause the Cat code but it seems like these things are so interconnected. I will post what happens when I get it back together. Any other things I should be checking? Thanks
It is possible that the P0420 catalyst code can be caused by a vacuum leak or exhaust leak, among other things. Fix all the vacuum hose issues, clear the code and see it comes back. If so, check for exhaust leaks and perhaps start looking at the O2 sensors. It is also possible that the catalytic converter on that bank is actually bad since running an engine with an excessively lean (or rich) condition for an extended period of time can damage the converter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.