Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought this murano about 4 months ago because I have a 03 G35 and love the engine. The Murano was working fine, then all of the sudden one day I jumped in to take off and when I pushed the start button it would keep turning over without firing. I right away though maybe the fuel pump is dead. I went in to get some tools then came out to try again just for the heck of it. This time it managed to just barely fire and maintain idle (idle is a subjective word here). It was probably running at like 50 RPM. The dash was flickering and it was just chugging terriblely so I pressed the start button to turn it off. It did not turn off immediately (likely due to the voltage not being stable?) but after about 5 seconds turned off. I started it again and the same thing happened, only slighly more smooth idle. This time I gave it some gas and it managed to boost the RPM enough to get to a normal idle, but it smelt like gas pretty bad (flooded from all of the failed starts perhaps or runnig super rich with bad idle?). Anyhow, it cleaned up after a minute or 2 and then never did this again for over 3 months. When it did this it was fall so about 20 C outside.

Now I find myself in a similar situation, it has started to do this again, but this time it is happening mutliple times per day. I assumed maybe it was flooding somehow so I read up on how you can depress the accelerator all the way to the floor and then start it. This actually made it start when in the no start stage, same thing though with rough idle and running very rich. Now I don't trust it to take it anywhere. I think I can fairly consistently get it to start by pressing the pedal to the floor, but thats not really a valid solution for me.

I put the scanner on it and there are no engine codes, so I'm not sure what exactly is going on. I think my next step will be measuring fuel pressure when its in this bad state. Anyone have thoughts as to what could be going wrong? I want to like this vehicle but I'm finding it very hard to at this point.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I would have your battery and alternator load tested to be sure they are good before troubleshooting further...

Reactions: I need coffee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery and alternator are fine, not sure how that would cause the observed behaviour. I killed the battery trying to crank it over on a really cold day (-35 C) and had to replace it with the battery from the G35. I swapped the battery on a -1 C day and tried starting it then. It cranked over without firing over 10 times before I was able to start so pretty sure its not battery/alt. I'm thinking more along the lines of leaky injectors or bad/dirty throttle body.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Battery and alternator are fine, not sure how that would cause the observed behaviour. I killed the battery trying to crank it over on a really cold day (-35 C) and had to replace it with the battery from the G35. I swapped the battery on a -1 C day and tried starting it then. It cranked over without firing over 10 times before I was able to start so pretty sure its not battery/alt. I'm thinking more along the lines of leaky injectors or bad/dirty throttle body.
I would have them both check for free at a place like AutoZone. You really want to know for sure the battery and alternator are good before troubleshooting further, everything else depends on them...

Today's computer controlled cars need a very stable power supply to operate. They can often crank over relatively fine, but still not have the stable power to keep all the computer control stuff operating correctly. Also make sure the battery terminal are totally free of corrosion and snug. Check the battery cables and ground connections too, especially if there has been a history of battery terminal corrosion...

How many miles do you have on your 2009?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Many posters assert that they have no issues with the battery and alternator and then find out otherwise after running around in circles for a while. Nevertheless, we only know what you tell us so if the battery and alternator are really fine then try observing sensor values on live data with your scan tool with KOEO after the car has sat overnight and see if anything sticks out as abnormal, particularly with the engine coolant temperature and intake air temperature readings. Those two sensors should be reading reasonably near (albeit warmer) than outside ambient temperature. Then try starting the engine and if it doesn't start right away like it should (i.e. within a few of seconds), stop and turn the ignition switch off and go under the hood and disconnect the MAF sensor and try to start again to see if that makes a difference.

If you suspect the issue is fuel pressure or leaky injectors then check fuel trims with the engine at operating temperature (when you can get it running). A leaky injector should present as one bank being noticeably richer than the other at idle. If the fuel pump is on its way out, both banks may present as lean and get leaner as engine speed and load increase (e.g. during wide open throttle and/or going up a hill--this would also show in the A/F sensor readings). Not sure a dirty throttle body would cause a no-start, but no harm in cleaning it as these do get pretty cruddy after 40-50k miles.

Reactions: Pilgrim
1 - 5 of 5 Posts