Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a 2009 Murano LE with 131k miles on it for $6400. Exterior and interior seem to be pristine. I have not had it inspected and am trying to get as much info as possible prior to doing so. I am seeing that Nissan Murano's in general have a lot of transmission issues, transfer case issues, amongst others and also have had some 4 recalls. Is this vehicle worth buying or is it going to be a money pit considering the high mileage and age?

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
My questions would be how long you plan to keep it, how you plan to use it, and what your repair and maintenance skills are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. I plan on keeping it for about 5 years max. I would put an avg of about 11k miles yearly on it. Mostly to go to work in town and drive in town. I have no vehicle repair and maintenance skills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am interested in purchasing a 2009 Murano LE with 131k miles on it for $6400. Exterior and interior seem to be pristine. I have not had it inspected and am trying to get as much info as possible prior to doing so. I am seeing that Nissan Murano's in general have a lot of transmission issues, transfer case issues, amongst others and also have had some 4 recalls. Is this vehicle worth buying or is it going to be a money pit considering the high mileage and age?
I would not do it under any circumstance. You are staring at a $5k transmission replacement, and it absolutely will happen. Do some research on the 1st gen nissan cvt. Major failures at 60k is very common. 2nd gen are better but still highly prone to failure mostly due to flow control valve in the cvt forward pump and most shops won't even attempt to rebuild, another replacement cost of $5k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would not do it under any circumstance. Nissan Murano 03 - 10 are notorious for very high failure rates of the 1st gen CVT Nissan transmissions manufactured by Jatco. $5k to replace a Nissan CVT transmission due to 18hrs shop time @ 125 - 150hr + 2,200 - 2,800 for a rebuilt transmission. It is a living nightmare and caused endless grief to countless Nissan owners. I strongly urge you to do some research before you buy. If you are not highly mechanically proficient you are walking into a nightmare situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not do it under any circumstance. You are staring at a $5k transmission replacement, and it absolutely will happen. Do some research on the 1st gen nissan cvt. Major failures at 60k is very common. 2nd gen are better but still highly prone to failure mostly due to flow control valve in the cvt forward pump and most shops won't even attempt to rebuild, another replacement cost of $5k.
I would not do it under any circumstance. Nissan Murano 03 - 10 are notorious for very high failure rates of the 1st gen CVT Nissan transmissions manufactured by Jatco. $5k to replace a Nissan CVT transmission due to 18hrs shop time @ 125 - 150hr + 2,200 - 2,800 for a rebuilt transmission. It is a living nightmare and caused endless grief to countless Nissan owners. I strongly urge you to do some research before you buy. If you are not highly mechanically proficient you are walking into a nightmare situation.
Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're also getting ripped off on the asking price. Edmunds and kkb list the value of a 2009 Murano LE AWD with all options at $3250 trade-in value/ $4900 private party/ $5870 dealer retail
You need to do some serious research and my strongest rec to you is do not under any circumstance by a Nissan with a cvt transmission, most especially the 1st/2nd generation cvt from 03 - 15

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Having more info, I vote against it. Contrary to the opinion voiced above, I don't think a CVT failure is assured by any means. However, I think the odds of a CVT problem at this mileage are somewhat higher than with conventional transmissions, and you have no option for a transmission rebuild; replacement is needed. That's makes the CVT a higher risk on two fronts.

I'd look at Mazda, Honda, or even Jeep if you need some off-road capability. If you want something with similar cargo space and AWD, look at a large Volvo station wagon; their reputation for long-term service is excellent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are interested in Muranos, look up 2014 SL or Platinum Muranos on Cars.com or Autotrader.com and tighten your search for cars with less than 30,000 miles. There were a few deals we were considering recently and they were close to what you were going to pay for a 2009.

Good Luck in your search! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Murano LE, You sound exactly like me, two years ago, when I bought my 2009 Murano LE with 149800 miles for $6,600- which I just paid off last year.
Since I bought it, I needed to put these items into it:
Struts and shocks, new rotors/pads, catalytic converter, alternator, serpentine belt, $800 for 4 Pirelli tires last November, new brighter, whiter headlight bulbs, trailer hitch, master brake cylinder replaced under Nissan recall.

- Read my Thread here entitled, "Is my Transmission going"?

The transmissions in these Murano's where sh*t in no uncertain terms!
Talk to some mechanics who work on Nissans, talk to transmission shops, they'll tell you the truth.

Now, having said all of this, I'm a creature of habit, and like what I like.
After saying all of this, I have to say that I Love my Murano, even with ALL of their "Warts and All".
I Love the style, the performance and especially the HEATED LEATHER SEATS & BOSE AUDIO SYSTEM!
I put Sooooo much money into this vehicle, that I cannot just give up on it and let it go.
I need a transmission, as mine DIED two weeks ago 160,008 on it.
- It has been showing signs of failure for 12 months now.

This week I am buying a Totally Rebuilt Transmission for $1,895- with a TWO YEAR WARRANTEE.
Most guys probably think that I'm crazy to do this, but at least I know what I have for a vehicle, once this transmission Failure is fixed.

Now-I'm a 'Dyed-in-the-wool' Chevy S-10 Blazer Guy, having had three of them. (1984, 1986,1999).
Incidentally each S-10 also needed a rebuilt transmission after so many miles (I don't recall that number).

So for YOUR information, please take all of the above as you will, in making YOUR decision.

Good Luck!

Irv in Maine.....*We received 3" of SNOW last night, which is still on the ground!
AMAZING FOR MAY 9th !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having more info, I vote against it. Contrary to the opinion voiced above, I don't think a CVT failure is assured by any means. However, I think the odds of a CVT problem at this mileage are somewhat higher than with conventional transmissions, and you have no option for a transmission rebuild; replacement is needed. That's makes the CVT a higher risk on two fronts.

I'd look at Mazda, Honda, or even Jeep if you need some off-road capability. If you want something with similar cargo space and AWD, look at a large Volvo station wagon; their reputation for long-term service is excellent.
Thanks Pilgrim, appreciate the comments
Hello Murano LE, You sound exactly like me, two years ago, when I bought my 2009 Murano LE with 149800 miles for $6,600- which I just paid off last year.
Since I bought it, I needed to put these items into it:
Struts and shocks, new rotors/pads, catalytic converter, alternator, serpentine belt, $800 for 4 Pirelli tires last November, new brighter, whiter headlight bulbs, trailer hitch, master brake cylinder replaced under Nissan recall.

- Read my Thread here entitled, "Is my Transmission going"?

The transmissions in these Murano's where sh*t in no uncertain terms!
Talk to some mechanics who work on Nissans, talk to transmission shops, they'll tell you the truth.

Now, having said all of this, I'm a creature of habit, and like what I like.
After saying all of this, I have to say that I Love my Murano, even with ALL of their "Warts and All".
I Love the style, the performance and especially the HEATED LEATHER SEATS & BOSE AUDIO SYSTEM!
I put Sooooo much money into this vehicle, that I cannot just give up on it and let it go.
I need a transmission, as mine DIED two weeks ago 160,008 on it.
- It has been showing signs of failure for 12 months now.

This week I am buying a Totally Rebuilt Transmission for $1,895- with a TWO YEAR WARRANTEE.
Most guys probably think that I'm crazy to do this, but at least I know what I have for a vehicle, once this transmission Failure is fixed.

Now-I'm a 'Dyed-in-the-wool' Chevy S-10 Blazer Guy, having had three of them. (1984, 1986,1999).
Incidentally each S-10 also needed a rebuilt transmission after so many miles (I don't recall that number).

So for YOUR information, please take all of the above as you will, in making YOUR decision.

Good Luck!

Irv in Maine.....*We received 3" of SNOW last night, which is still on the ground!
AMAZING FOR MAY 9th !
Irv, I'm in Mass. This weather is crazy. I was in NH earlier and it was hailing pretty hard. Thanks for the info, I am somewhat apprehensive considering the transmission issues. Seems the juice is not worth the squeeze with this one.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a 09 MO AWD bought used in 09 with 10k miles I now have 92k. Only recall I had was power steering reservoir, and last year Nissan did an voluntary recall replacing the brake fluid to DOT3. So far no trans problems or any other major stuff except the engine exhaust pipes were replaced 5 years ago and my shop welded the muffler at the rear. I notice the CVT shifts a little different until warm up, but the fluid is clean so I'm not touching it. Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
First, I would say that $6400 is too expensive in my opinion. A car with that many miles will not last 5 years without any maintenance, regardless how clean it is. Also in general, I would want to know how many previous owners and why they are selling it? If having more than one owner on a car like that(cvt), then I would be extra cautious. Some drivers don't treat the car that well when they drive and even the maintenance might be performed differently between owners. They are nice looking cars but for the price and what you plan to get out of it, I would pass and try my best to find something newer used for that price with less miles. I always get it checked by a trustworthy mechanic. SUV's are pretty expensive in general and I would consider purchasing a sedan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There was no 2008 Murano so you may be getting a 2009 built as early as January 2008, like mine. I have replaced the front suspension, struts, rotors, plugs, and many drain and fills of the CVT. I thought the transmission had failed but it was the rubber intake boot. These do not last 12 years! It now has 140k and still going. I would agree you’ll be better off with a 2014 at half the age for about the same price.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
First, I would say that $6400 is too expensive in my opinion. A car with that many miles will not last 5 years without any maintenance, regardless how clean it is.
In response, rather than argument: a note about expectations when buying a used car.

I can't think of any vehicle with 131K miles that you can assume will go 5 years with NO maintenance or repair. That's a very unrealistic assumption.

Part of the reason a vehicle that cost $40,000 new costs you $6400 (or whatever) at 131K miles is that you expect to spend money on maintenance and repairs while driving it. At that point all vehicles have wear which will add up.

What do I expect to spend money on when I buy a vehicle with 131K miles? Hubs, CV joints, steering parts, brakes, battery, starter, alternator, water pump, ignition coils, possibly spark plugs. Maybe a radiator.

On some vehicles, I wouldn't be totally surprised to pay for a transmission rebuild, but that's kind of a "dammit, I lost that one" event. It's also one reason I try to avoid vehicles with transverse engines and stick with vehicles with traditional north-south drivelines in which it's easier to drop the transmission without messing with the engine and transaxle unit. A rebuild on a conventional transmission is also less expensive than messing with a CVT.

But regardless, if I buy a vehicle for $6400 and drive it for 5 years and spend $1000 a year on maintenance and repairs, I've still driven a $40,000 vehicle for 5 years at a cost of $11,400 plus gas and oil. I think that's decent value for a used vehicle. BTW, I have never ever had to put that much money into a used vehicle, even the 13-year-old high mileage Chevy pickup I bought before moving from TX to CO. I did have to put a transmission rebuild into that one, but aside from that I think I spent about $500 in repairs over the three years I owned it. (And yes, I do some of my own repairs.)

Probably too much info, but a little perspective from here on the value of used vehicles and having reasonable expectations for their maintenance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I would think very carefully before purchase of this vehicle. My daughter bought a 2005 Murano with 175,000km on the clock. On her way home from shopping the vehicle developed a noise followed by a clunking sound which forced her to stop as she was afraid something was going to come adrift. A quick initial investigation by a Mechanic indicated the cause may be a transfer box/ transmission problem which is a expensive repair. I've since read of other owners having similar issues with this make/model. I understand the Transmission is a expensive repair as it's not the standard auto gearbox, but something called a CRV or other not sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts